• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I lost my health insurance...

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CMD.EXE
US health insurance is absolutely ridiculous cost wise, its really hard to justify what the premiums are. We just pay because we have to.
We don't have to. That's what I'm saying. Currently, I don't have health insurance, and I wish that I did. If I had the money to afford it, I would be paying my premiums every damn month. Because I am legitimately scared that I'm going to get cancer or something and on top of getting cancer I'm going to have to pay every dime from my own pocket. Premiums may be ridiculous cost wise, but like I said, the point of insurance is not to get every dime of your premium money back in services, it is to be insured in case one should ever have a medical emergency.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Because I am legitimately scared that I'm going to get cancer or something and on top of getting cancer I'm going to have to pay every dime from my own pocket.

There was a 5-month period I had between college and work that I decided to go uninsured. I had, after all, superb health (the biggest "procedure" I ever had was a tooth being pulled when I was like 4 years old). We looked at pricing out options, but it was expensive. Wouldn't you know I came down with a tough stomach sickness that cost a cool $10,000 leading up to the diagnosis (and a $20 prescription to fix it). Furthermore, that $10K was the "discount" rate, most doctors I dealt with significantly reduced their bills when I said I didn't have any insurance (and I'm sure much further discounted due to my mother's position at one of the hospitals). **** isn't fun.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Once you get that hospital bill you'll know how valuable having insurance is. They'll negotiate with you, sometimes up to 50%, but its 1000% too expensive to start with so that haircut off the top doesn't look like much when you're working with a low salary. Nothing like being on a payment plan to a hospital
ffffuuuu.gif
Try COBRAing your plan. My plan just ran out and I was under the impression that I was not going to be renewed. Then, 2 days before the end of my plan I got a letter from an outsourcing company saying that I was qualified for COBRA for 18 months. Who knew?
eh.gif

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Insurance costs too much these days, but try to get the serious stuff covered and just pay cash for the non-life threatening stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics