1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

So I just moved to Seoul ...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nis14, Nov 18, 2012.

1. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Picked up a half-dozen shirts at Goshe. Really nice. Huge upgrade from Hahn's in Itaewon, where I used to get shirts made. Thanks to this board for pointing me there!

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pictures and prices?

3. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

The shirts were 70k won each and I took MOP buttons for an added 10k won/shirt. Paid about 480 for 6 shirts. I'll try to post pics later.

2 people like this.
  4. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

That's a good deal if they are well constructed. All the ones in that I have from Itaewon are the same quality.

5. Claghorn

I've been getting mine at the Washington shirts in Sinsa for around 60k. I've not had any issues, but I've gone through most of their selection, and while I haven't been distressed at their construction, I've not been impressed either. They were very willing to accommodate a few requests a bit out of the norm, which was surprising since I suspect all requests go to some big factory somewhere.

Going to probably jump to a different tailor with a better selection of fabrics. I will have to give Goshe a trial pretty soon.

1 person likes this.
  6. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

I'll check out Washington. What are some of your "out of the norm" requests, if I might ask?

As for Goshe, yeah, construction's good. I was also very pleased with the service--good English, full-sized bolts for fabric selection, quick-service delivery at no charge, good advice on collars/cuffs, etc.

7. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

Still waiting for some fit pics.

8. Claghorn

Nothing that out of the ordinary (stuff like collar band size, cuff lengths), but since Washington just sends everything to some factory tailor, I was surprised they were able to deviate from the standard options.

They are great for ocbd though.

(I wonder what happened to the OP...)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  9. strangedream

strangedream Well-Known Member

Somewhere over the rainbow where you can get drunk
    Apparently Spolverino also offer a bespoke jeans. Again, I cannot C&P any image because it's blasted Naver but would one of SF member check this out? I've put that down on my "check-out list" whenever I have a chance to visit my motherland in the future...

10. Claghorn

11. strangedream

Please share some story with us in the forum if you ever do. I really enjoyed ho1joon's post on Solverino.

I think I would go with either Solverino or Lerici if I am given the chance. Also, if anybody is interested in Solverino but concerned about the language barrier, it seems owner/general manager of Solverino studied fashion in London for couple years so I'm pretty sure he's fluent in English.

P.S. Some additional posts about Lerici suits on Naver (...)

http://blog.naver.com/gustosignore/40072812422
    http://blog.naver.com/gustosignore/40087861118
    http://blog.naver.com/gustosignore/40086553998
    http://blog.naver.com/gustosignore/40059815824
    http://blog.naver.com/gustosignore/40066025273
    http://blog.naver.com/gustosignore/40112257152

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  12. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

They run them through the same factory. One guy comes and collects order tabs, doing rounds up and down the street, and then takes them over to Cheonggye 3 or 4-ga, I think. The price they sell shirts for in Itaewon, you really can't go much lower, tbh, even with their middleman setup.

13. impolyt_one

Problem with drinking in Seoul, even the at the best places (K is the best) - if you walk in looking like a normal drinker, you get normal service... and in Korea, 'normal' people only know 4 cocktails off the top of their heads, and maybe 3 labels of SMS, so you have a few insanely talented bartenders who just churn out mojitos and substandard martinis all day, or go into an SMS bar where they sell by the shot and still order a full bottle of Macallan 12 and want a plate of fruit and two carafes of 10% juice drink.....

14. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

I've been hitting K a couple times a week (convenient from work) and enjoy it quite well now. That initial olive fiasco appears to have been an aberration--drinks have been consistently good, and I've been doggy-paddling my way through the malts list.

15. Claghorn

I think a meetup may be in order fairly soon.

16. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

:nodding:

17. strangedream

Still waiting for pics and review, maaaaan.
    Nice. Already looking forward to your pics.

18. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Hear, hear.

19. pinedust

pinedust Well-Known Member

On a side note, does anyone have any recommendations for places to pick up some single-malt scotch? I was browsing Namdaemun but was put off by the insanely high markup. Are the prices there pretty standard for the rest of Seoul? I saw a bottle of Laphroaig 10 for 70k, while my local Homeplus had some Johnnie Green for 60k (on par with what I'd pay back home).

20. impolyt_one

that's the breaks for SMS in Seoul. no good deals. Save up and buy a ticket to Japan on Airasia (can be $100'ish each way) and stock up on things like that. SMS starts at like 2500Y/bottle over here, Laphroaig Quarter Cask is like 90,000W at Shinsegae and 3300Y at my neighborhood supermarket.