• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I just finished law school

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's right, I just take my last final exam and now law school is done with. It wasn't easy (especially first year) but I did alright. I'll be taking the bar exam in July and then startings as a first year associate at a big firm in a non-NYC market (as I've already mentioned). Anyway, I see that there's a lot of lawyers on this site, so do any of you care to impart some wisdom on taking the bar exam, being a first year associate in general, the law, life, whatever? Thanks fellas.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
not a lawyer, but i'd like to offer you my congratulations. i sure hope the legal profession would be better off with you a part of it

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
not a lawyer, but i'd like to offer you my congratulations. i sure hope the legal profession would be better off with you a part of it

Why thank you very much. I will do my best to leave a positive mark on the profession.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
if theres one thing america needs its....
smile.gif

congratulations OE, happy to hear it, and welcome to The Real World. Its hell out here.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
congratulations. good luck

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks mat and globe.
smile.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations. Treat bar review (I assume you are taking BAR/BRI) the same as you did a first-year, first-semester class in law school. Do all the reading, do all the homework, take all the sample tests. You probably don't need to do all this to pass, but the alternative is too awful to contemplate.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
if theres one thing america needs its....
smile.gif

Yeah, they're exporting us to the Old Country now.

Congrats and I'd agree with AC's advice for the bar. It's better to err on the side of studying too much for the bar.

andrebaron

Reaction score
Congratulations! Now kick a-s on the bar and take that weird guy's mulitstate review. I cannot recall his name for you, though; since the whole bar exam process was so miserable, I brainwashed myself--a la the Manchurian Candidate--just to purge it from my life experience.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrebaron
Congratulations! Now kick a-s on the bar and take that weird guy's mulitstate review. I cannot recall his name for you, though; since the whole bar exam process was so miserable, I brainwashed myself--a la the Manchurian Candidate--just to purge it from my life experience.

Which way? The original movies version or the new movies version?

Jon.

andrebaron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Which way? The original movies version or the new movies version?

Jon.

I don't yet--let's hope I am not "activated."

johnnynorman

Reaction score
My advice is to enjoy your summer off. Prepare for the bar exam by going to class and reading the outlines (I didn't take the class, however, and did fine on my own). See the big picture. There are too many little rules to memorize them all. If you see the big picture, you're brain will end up "learning" and "remembering" enough of the little rules to pass with flying colors. After you've done your bar work for the day, FORGET about it. Have fun.

When you go to work, try not to take work home with you (figuratively, not literally). Once you start caring about your clients, that's when the pain begins. Treat your clients like a doctor treats a patient. Do your best, but know that the results aren't your fault and that your one client is a spec in the universe, as are you.

This coming from a fairly jaded lawyer.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnynorman
When you go to work, try not to take work home with you (figuratively, not literally). Once you start caring about your clients, that's when the pain begins. Treat your clients like a doctor treats a patient. Do your best, but know that the results aren't your fault and that your one client is a spec in the universe, as are you.

This coming from a fairly jaded lawyer.

Wow! I thought my posts in the billable hours thread made me sound jaded, but you definitely win with "spec in the universe."

Odoreater - first, congratulations! Regarding the bar, while you should study hard (go to classes, take the practice tests, etc.), remember that you only have to pass, you don't have to get an "A." In other words, don't psyche yourself out. The bar review courses are designed to give you enough information to pass the bar. Do what they tell you to do, and you should be fine. My other advice is, outside of the bar review classes, avoid studying with groups of people, as this will only heighten your anxiety (it's like being around law students during finals mulitplied by 100).

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, congrats! The more, the merrier - one million and counting.

No advice from me on passing the bar as I didn't do it the normal BAR/BRI way.

Life advice:
1. Have a life outside of your law firm. New lawyers are incapable of talking about anything but work.

2. Don't depose your life partner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads