1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

So I just finished law school

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by odoreater, May 8, 2006.

1. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Yes, that's right, I just take my last final exam and now law school is done with. It wasn't easy (especially first year) but I did alright. I'll be taking the bar exam in July and then startings as a first year associate at a big firm in a non-NYC market (as I've already mentioned). Anyway, I see that there's a lot of lawyers on this site, so do any of you care to impart some wisdom on taking the bar exam, being a first year associate in general, the law, life, whatever? Thanks fellas.

2. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

not a lawyer, but i'd like to offer you my congratulations. i sure hope the legal profession would be better off with you a part of it

3. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

not a lawyer, but i'd like to offer you my congratulations. i sure hope the legal profession would be better off with you a part of it

Why thank you very much. I will do my best to leave a positive mark on the profession.

4. Matt

Matt Senior member

if theres one thing america needs its.... [​IMG]

congratulations OE, happy to hear it, and welcome to The Real World. Its hell out here.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

congratulations. good luck

6. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

thanks mat and globe. [​IMG]

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Congratulations. Treat bar review (I assume you are taking BAR/BRI) the same as you did a first-year, first-semester class in law school. Do all the reading, do all the homework, take all the sample tests. You probably don't need to do all this to pass, but the alternative is too awful to contemplate.

8. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

if theres one thing america needs its.... [​IMG]
    Yeah, they're exporting us to the Old Country now.

Congrats and I'd agree with AC's advice for the bar. It's better to err on the side of studying too much for the bar.

9. andrebaron

andrebaron Active Member

Congratulations! Now kick a-s on the bar and take that weird guy's mulitstate review. I cannot recall his name for you, though; since the whole bar exam process was so miserable, I brainwashed myself--a la the Manchurian Candidate--just to purge it from my life experience.

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Congratulations! Now kick a-s on the bar and take that weird guy's mulitstate review. I cannot recall his name for you, though; since the whole bar exam process was so miserable, I brainwashed myself--a la the Manchurian Candidate--just to purge it from my life experience.

Which way? The original movies version or the new movies version?

Jon.

11. andrebaron

andrebaron Active Member

Which way? The original movies version or the new movies version?

Jon.

I don't yet--let's hope I am not "activated."

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I don't yet--let's hope I am not "activated."

If it's the new way, just be wary of people using your middle name, especially if you being to hear a buzzing noise.

Jon.

13. johnnynorman

johnnynorman Well-Known Member

My advice is to enjoy your summer off. Prepare for the bar exam by going to class and reading the outlines (I didn't take the class, however, and did fine on my own). See the big picture. There are too many little rules to memorize them all. If you see the big picture, you're brain will end up "learning" and "remembering" enough of the little rules to pass with flying colors. After you've done your bar work for the day, FORGET about it. Have fun.

When you go to work, try not to take work home with you (figuratively, not literally). Once you start caring about your clients, that's when the pain begins. Treat your clients like a doctor treats a patient. Do your best, but know that the results aren't your fault and that your one client is a spec in the universe, as are you.

This coming from a fairly jaded lawyer.

14. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

When you go to work, try not to take work home with you (figuratively, not literally). Once you start caring about your clients, that's when the pain begins. Treat your clients like a doctor treats a patient. Do your best, but know that the results aren't your fault and that your one client is a spec in the universe, as are you.

This coming from a fairly jaded lawyer.

Wow! I thought my posts in the billable hours thread made me sound jaded, but you definitely win with "spec in the universe."

Odoreater - first, congratulations! Regarding the bar, while you should study hard (go to classes, take the practice tests, etc.), remember that you only have to pass, you don't have to get an "A." In other words, don't psyche yourself out. The bar review courses are designed to give you enough information to pass the bar. Do what they tell you to do, and you should be fine. My other advice is, outside of the bar review classes, avoid studying with groups of people, as this will only heighten your anxiety (it's like being around law students during finals mulitplied by 100).

15. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Hey, congrats! The more, the merrier - one million and counting.

No advice from me on passing the bar as I didn't do it the normal BAR/BRI way.

Life advice:
    1. Have a life outside of your law firm. New lawyers are incapable of talking about anything but work.

2. Don't depose your life partner.

16. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I kept meaning to post this, congratulations [​IMG]

17. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I can't remember the guy's name, but I think the class you are talking about is PMBR. That's the one with the guy who sounds like an cheesy infomercial narrator, who says you should feel free to tell 10% of the questions to "kiss my ass" and move to the next question.

18. andrebaron

andrebaron Active Member

I can't remember the guy's name, but I think the class you are talking about is PMBR. That's the one with the guy who sounds like an cheesy infomercial narrator, who says you should feel free to tell 10% of the questions to "kiss my ass" and move to the next question.

yeah, that's him...he would also bark like a dog on occassion to highlight his point. Now I am beginning to break out in cold sweat just thinking of all this. Thank God I passed.

19. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Thank you everyone for all yoru kind words and advice. About the PMBR thing, people were telling me that it's a good idea to take that. But, it's kind of expensive, so is it really necessary or will BarBri teach me everything that I have to know about the MBE?

20. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Thank you everyone for all yoru kind words and advice. About the PMBR thing, people were telling me that it's a good idea to take that. But, it's kind of expensive, so is it really necessary or will BarBri teach me everything that I have to know about the MBE?

I didn't do PMBR (just Bar/Bri), and I passed. I think if you're disciplined with your studies, you probably don't need PMBR. However, if you're at all concerned or feel like you need a little more help, it can't hurt to take it (other than financially). Bottom line - do what you think you have to do to pass. A little extra money now (after a $100,000 education) won't mean anything in the long run.