• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I Jumped In The Ocean In My Raw Jeans...

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lots of discussion about this process and how it "cleans" the denim without too much indigo loss. Saw a bitching thread about this I believe on Super Future where some skinny guy dipped in the Dead Sea and came out with great fades, so i decided to give it a go being that it was 85 degrees in NYC yesterday, then post the results here.

A little background on the jeans:
APC New Standards, purchased about 3 years ago, and although they've been rotated, these have been my number 1 jean, with spells of wearing them weeks at a time. They were dry cleaned ONCE after a fire in my apartment building but that was it. The fit on these for me is a bit looser than I'd like, but not much. I usually have to wear a belt with them, unless I want to look like a 20 something dirty hipster that wants to look like he doesn't make as much money as he does off of mommy and daddy's stock options.

Here are pics before the dunk yesterday:
IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_6263.jpg

The first thing I did was unroll the three cuffs I had (thought it was only two). Then, I slowly waded into the (cooler than I thought they'd be) waters off of South Beach on Staten Island while the Mrs snapped away. I walked in, sloshed around a bit in the salty, polluted liquid, and then came out for a stretch (a few squats, some hamstring stretches etc)
IMG_6320.jpg

IMG_6301.jpg

IMG_6339.jpg

IMG_6302.jpg

IMG_6291.jpg

IMG_6290.jpg

IMG_6323.jpg

IMG_6334.jpg

IMG_6348.jpg

IMG_6280.jpg

and then went right back in.

After making sure there were no needles in the sand, I walked around on my knees for a bit and did some more stretches fully immersed in the water. I then stood at the shore and grabbed some sand and rocks and rubbed it all over the front and back of the jeans before going back in to rinse off.

Then, I came out and made my way farther up the shore to some finer sand, and applied that to the front and back as well.
IMG_6412.jpg

IMG_6414.jpg

Back into the water I went, to rinse off this last abrasive "wash". I kept the jeans on and laid a towel over the drivers seat and then drove to my folks house for dinner. When I got there, I immediately took the drying jeans off, and after shaking and slapping the excess sand out, I placed them on the back deck in the sun to dry.
IMG_6350.jpg

IMG_6294.jpg

IMG_6428.jpg

After they were mostly dry, what I noticed forst was just how STIFF these bad boys were. Not quite as stiff as the jeans from the SF thread in the Dead Sea, but they could have stood up against a wall if I let them completely dry. Instead, when I got back to my place, and put the kids to sleep, I threw the jeans back on, and wore them around the house for an hour or so. I hung them by child protective hook on my window and this is what I woke up to today:

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603-1.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0608-1.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0611-1.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

I know this may not be big news to a lot of you guys who are experts, but for people who are new to this or other MCers who want to delve a bit more into the SW&D world or for those of you who claim you can't swim off the coast of Staten Island without getting violently ill...:)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That made me think of this guy.
1394886.jpg

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend a sanity check. Who knows, it might lead to better fades

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I recommend a sanity check. Who knows, it might lead to better fades

Thats pretty helpful bro...but I bet there are quite a few people who have heard about this, thought about it, and never tried it out. Now there's a pretty clear illustrated explanation of what it actually does.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you wearing a Tigers cap? In New York?

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I´ve done that, but with 3/4 jeans and in a lake. Was really fun, and a must, because i had no board shorts.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You realize the same (theoretically lower indigo loss) effect happens if you salt the water you use at home, right?

mmmmpay

Reaction score
Thought about doing this. I live on Long Island Sound and my 501s just get a little wet and sandy through daily wear on the beach. Figure that over time the lower 5 inches might just absorb some salt and take on a lighter color. Going to look silly, but, hey, that's fine.

Good to know pure ocean has a positive effect.

My mom told me that, as a teenager, going into the ocean then rolling around on the beach was how she broke in a new pair of jeans. So I think I'll do it if only for a family-historic connection.

petit-musee

Reaction score
Thanks for a lively report. Great pics, but I'm not sure I see a huge difference in the before and after. How's the fit, post-surf-and-sand?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks for a lively report. Great pics, but I'm not sure I see a huge difference in the before and after. How's the fit, post-surf-and-sand?

Fit is pretty similar, maybe a little bit tighter than before, but not very much. The most difference in fade I see is in the lap area...

Brigden

Reaction score
They're jeans, people.

These forums have officially jumped the shark. I'm out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads