• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I have this bottle of Sake.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's about 3 years old. Been stored mostly in the fridge, and maybe a couple weeks outside of the fridge. Also accidentally frozen once, but didn't explode.

Now it's in my fridge. I am out of other booze so it's tempting me. Should I even bother or will it be undrinkable?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
It's about 3 years old. Been stored mostly in the fridge, and maybe a couple weeks outside of the fridge. Also accidentally frozen once, but didn't explode.

Now it's in my fridge. I am out of other booze so it's tempting me. Should I even bother or will it be undrinkable?

I'm sure the alcohol is fine. Drink it.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's very bad advice. I wouldn't drink that. This isn't a distilled spirit. It's a food product and goes bad.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drink it. If you're still here in a few hours, it ain't bad.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
But will I respect myself in the morning?

Do you usually?

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guarantee you it's going to be awful. It's like a 6 month period after bottling that they recommend sake to be consumed.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Do you usually?

One or two day hangover, yes. Once I am way past the 48 hours mark it gets a bit depressing though.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
I guarantee you it's going to be awful. It's like a 6 month period after bottling that they recommend sake to be consumed.

Oh **** that. Thanks.

arced

Reaction score
By in large, it's better to think of sake like beer rather than wine, but even more perishable than beer -- so you'd be willing to drink a 4 or 5 year old bottle of beer...

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arced
By in large, it's better to think of sake like beer rather than wine, but even more perishable than beer -- so you'd be willing to drink a 4 or 5 year old bottle of beer...

Most Belgian styled beers are better aged. Chimay Blue, for example, can be aged up to 16 years. Yeast is a living organism and continues to eat away at the sugars, smoothing out the flavor. Now, I don't know if this sake in question is able to be aged, but it can be done:

http://www.sake-world.com/html/aging.html

I say just do it, but mostly because it's your body and not mine. At worst, it will taste gross. There will be nothing harmful to you in the bottle, only the harm you subject yourself to after drinking it.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
That's very bad advice. I wouldn't drink that. This isn't a distilled spirit. It's a food product and goes bad.

I've drank Baileys irish cream that was way over a year old and I was A-ok in the morning. What's the worst that could happen?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads