1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

So I Guess I Have a Problem

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by contactme_11, Jul 19, 2007.

1. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Let me first say my girlfriend of 4 months now is an absolutely beautiful greek girl, with loads of style and class as well. After all this time she has never really commented anything on the way I dress, less the two times she complimented how nice my shoes were [​IMG] . Today though at lunch she starts telling me about her preferences on the way men dress (no real super disapointing opinions, just stuff like she hates white pants), so my quesion is: Is she trying to start influencing my style with hers, or just sharing opinions with someone who shares a love of clothing?

2. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Hah, I just posted about the white pants in a different thread. I personally don't like the look, but some guys can pull it off. Maybe your girlfriend thinks that you're not one of those guys. I'd take her advice into consideration, but still go with your own style.

3. contactme_11

Hah, I just posted about the white pants in a different thread. I personally don't like the look, but some guys can pull it off. Maybe your girlfriend thinks that you're not one of those guys. I'd take her advice into consideration, but still go with your own style.

she thinks no guy can pull it off, she says "White pants make men look like perverts". I didn't ask, but I wondered if this opinion came from a personal experience.

4. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I have no issue with white pants, but I do prefer cream.

5. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

she thinks no guy can pull it off, she says "White pants make men look like perverts". I didn't ask, but I wondered if this opinion came from a personal experience.

I tend to agree with her.

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i dont mind white pants per se, just that most white pants or dress pants are very sheer. you can see your panty /underwear line through it (not at all bad for women) and i dont like that. also , if you are dark-skinned the white is not pure, it comes out looking offwhite due to the skin color coming through the sheerness.

that is why i dont like white pants; the one day they make a pair of white pants that is not sheer i would think about getting it. because bruce lee in his movies when he dealt with america he wore tight white pants.

7. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I had no idea Bruce Lee dealt with foreign policy questions.

At any rate, do you like white pants more than your girlfriend? Pretty easy equation for me.

8. Chauncey Gardner

Chauncey Gardner Well-Known Member

Well, back to your original question, which was not whether we liked white pants but I gather was about whether your girlfriend was trying to impose her pet peeves and tastes on you or simply making an off-handed remark. I'd say to that, if you like white pants then wear them, as long as they fit your style, and that way if your girl likes the way you normally dress she'll see how nice white pants can be and appreciate your style panache.

It's easy to dislike white pants because so many people look so bad in them, but that's because of their style to begin with. Admittedly, being a Virginian prejudices me in favor of white pants of all varieties, and I find they can be extremely versatile. Parisians stand out in my mind for their love of white pants and generally look grand in them, summer and winter.

I might also mention that this summer I've enjoyed wearing cream pants from Ralph Lauren's "feather weight" line, which also includes in the same fabric a pure white and a vivid blue as well as about 7 shades, yes, of khaki. To me, summer pants are above all about a comfortable weight that suits the weather.

9. babygreenspots

babygreenspots Senior member

i dont mind white pants per se, just that most white pants or dress pants are very sheer. you can see your panty /underwear line through it (not at all bad for women) and i dont like that. also , if you are dark-skinned the white is not pure, it comes out looking offwhite due to the skin color coming through the sheerness.

that is why i dont like white pants; the one day they make a pair of white pants that is not sheer i would think about getting it. because bruce lee in his movies when he dealt with america he wore tight white pants.

This is a good point. They also get dirty too quickly for most parts of the world. Maybe in some parts of the States, it is possible to wear them since life is pretty much car-work-car-going out-car-home.

10. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Let me first say my girlfriend of 4 months now is an absolutely beautiful greek girl, with loads of style and class as well. After all this time she has never really commented anything on the way I dress, less the two times she complimented how nice my shoes were [​IMG] . Today though at lunch she starts telling me about her preferences on the way men dress (no real super disapointing opinions, just stuff like she hates white pants), so my quesion is: Is she trying to start influencing my style with hers, or just sharing opinions with someone who shares a love of clothing?

If you change you style for her she will appreciate it but she will also lose respect for you. Good luck.

11. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I love white pants. I don`t think your GF is trying to change the way you dress. She was probably just talking in general.

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love white pants. I don`t think your GF is trying to change the way you dress. She was probably just talking in general.
    +1. I have three pairs although two are technically off-white.

13. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

most women want to dress up their man. until they have a baby to dress up.

14. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Ah the old age question: when a woman makes an opinion, does the man look at it as just that- an opinion, or a strong suggestion?

15. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

I have no issue with white pants, but I do prefer cream.

Connedue, you gotta stop posting sentences that include "I do prefer cream" if you ever want to undo the whole gay image thing.

16. demeis

demeis Senior member

most women want to dress up their man. until they have a baby to dress up.

agreed.

To your question, YES, shes a girl thats wha they do (is it me or do the hotter ones always try to dress you up more?). Its why they play with barbies and dolls till they get to the age when they start dating then the move on to dressing up boyfriends and then husband and finally babies.

17. nmoraitis

nmoraitis Senior member

A greek girl that doesn't like white pants? Greeks love white pants, I think it looks natural on us because of our slightly darker skin. Maybe she is Cypriot...

18. bmulford

bmulford Senior member

If you change you style for her she will appreciate it but she will also lose respect for you. Good luck.

Agreed. It may be a test to see if you really have conviction in your opinions. Women do not respect men who abdicate their beliefs to appease them. She may not even be aware that she's testing you, its just something women do to weed out men. Richard Dawkin's research has delved into the subject extensively.

You may want to reframing the supposition by saying something like "You don't like white pants? Hrmm. That's OK, I like you anyway".

19. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

It good to have a girl friend who is interested in how you dress.
    Why not take her on a shopping trip and she what she suggests?

20. contactme_11

It good to have a girl friend who is interested in how you dress.
    Why not take her on a shopping trip and she what she suggests?

Actually I was thinking of doing just this. She was just saying she wanted to go look for a pair of blue shoes, so I figured maybe I'll go shopping with her.