• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I grilled cheese. Not a sandwich, I grilled cheese.

GrillinFool

Reaction score
So, I was at this gourmet market over the holidays looking for some wine and cheese for dinner. I saw that they had Haloumi cheese which is touted as the cheese you can grill. I did it. Didn't like it. It was chalky and bitter. I hear that if I marinate it next time in some flavored olive oil it will be better, but haven't gotten back to it yet.

Well, I mention this to the cheese monger and she recommended I try Brun-Uusto cheese and she rushes off to go grill some up for me. I didn't want to stick around that long, but she was going through the trouble, so I did. So glad I did. It was fantastic. She said she fried it up in a pan with a little oil, but it can go on the grill. Well, it just so happened that I was smoking some pork tenderloin for a coworker who was having his folks in over New Years, so I bought a block. It was even better grilled as it picked up the smoky flavor as well. It was also a learning experience. I cut the block in half. The first half I did I cooked at too high a heat. I came within a biscuit of melting it through the grates and into the coals. The second time was perfect. I documented both sessions in this post. I'm not perfect. I screw up on the grill all the time...

So, here's the step by step on what I did and here are the pictures that hopefully make you hungry:

BUGC1.jpg

BUGC4.jpg

BUGC11.jpg

velobran

Reaction score
This is very common in northeastern Brazil. They make it for breakfast and sell it as a snack on the beach. Its a white cheese ... they call it .. white cheese (the translated name). They also do it with a "butter cheese". Neither are chalky and bitter, just a little rubbery.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by velobran
This is very common in northeastern Brazil. They make it for breakfast and sell it as a snack on the beach. Its a white cheese ... they call it .. white cheese (the translated name). They also do it with a "butter cheese". Neither are chalky and bitter, just a little rubbery.
The portable grill with lit coals is kind of awesome.
12432_662077349747_22603655_37512705_5774884_n.jpg
Edit: pic was at Copacabana.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how you prepared the haloumi, but it sounds like it didn't actually cook through.

I would slice it, brush it with a little butter, then serve it with lightly drizzled honey on top (becuse haloumi is salty and if you aren't used to it, you might want to balance it out).

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
Not sure how you prepared the haloumi, but it sounds like it didn't actually cook through.

I would slice it, brush it with a little butter, then serve it with lightly drizzled honey on top (becuse haloumi is salty and if you aren't used to it, you might want to balance it out).

I'm getting a lot of grief for not liking the Haloumi. So much so, I'm starting to think I started off with a low grade Haloumi. Start with ****** ingredients and end up with ****.

Looks like I need to revisit this. The gourmet market next door has it. They only carry high quality stuff. I'll give it another go...

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't mean to come off in an abrasive way, if so I apologize.

I'm just partial to haloumi as I'm Greek and have been eating it all my life.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
i didn't read any part of your post but i found the title and pics to be quite hilarious
laugh.gif

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
i didn't read any part of your post but i found the title and pics to be quite hilarious
laugh.gif

It's a little hard to explain. I typed it out like five times and wasn't sure it made sense...

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
Didn't mean to come off in an abrasive way, if so I apologize.

I'm just partial to haloumi as I'm Greek and have been eating it all my life.

Not at all. Didn't say you were abrasive. Just that quite a few people have said how much they liked Haloumi and I thought it was absolutely terrible. Makes me think it was me, or I had some subpar Haloumi. Gonna have to give it another go and see if it's just one of those things I don't like, or if I am missing out on something...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow this looks amazing !

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's that Greek/middle eastern fried cheese right? they pop it into a skillet then broil it up. it tastes ******* awesome, but when they bring it to your table on a hot iron plate it actually gives off a smelly feet aroma to the dismay (or delight?/jealousy) of those around you. i think its called Saganaki.

if i remember this right sometimes the smelly feet smell will stick to your clothes too, but again it tastes very very good.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dominicans do this with regularity. I know someone mentioned Haloumi + honey (******* amazing) as well....love both. Any white cheese grilled is good by me.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like grilled haloumi, a bit of harissa, some sort of bread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads