• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

so I got my first rrds earlier today...

kilokore

Reaction score
...and to my demise, I'm not really liking it all that much at all.

After reading numerous posts about how I should get one size smaller for it will stretch and everything, i got 29x32.

I open it up, okay, feels like cardboard, the sewing, the ink. yep everything is in place. I try them on and boy how tight like tiger they were. Getting in and out of them was a workout.

Walking down and up the flights of stairs was a workout too. I mean the pair was so rigid I couldn't even walk in them comfortably.

Yah, I know. That's what it's like the first time blah blah it will wear and tear blah blah, right?

But the real problem I have with these is the fit. I mean it could be that it was w29 but I have to be honest, mine fits more like a slim than a bootcut. I expected it to taper in the bottom and all but not this much. I've tried onitsuka, dunk, af, etc. and wow do they look stupid..

I don't know. Am I not ready for a pair of dry selvage yet??

What do you guys think I should do

rnrswitch

Reaction score
Do the jeans say Regular Ralf on the inside pocket? That is rather weird cuz my Ralfs have a fairly pronounced bootcut. Post pics. I wonder if a straight sven was mislabeled as a Ralf. Measure the width across the knee and the leg opening.

dingleberry

Reaction score
just got my RRDS 6 days ago, also in 29 x 32. They are kinda tight as well and I'm hoping they stretch out to at least a 30". I'm not sure what you mean by 'taper' in. They have a slight bootcut, so they don't taper but flare ever so slightly the knee to the hem.

You have to wear the RRDS on the hip because of the higher rise... they look and feel better that way. I love em'. stick with it.

seoulfully

Reaction score
did you do much in the way of research on these? not trying to sound like and ass or anything, but the fit sounds like RRDSes to me. the reg ralphs bootcut flare is tiny. it's basically the same cut as the SSDS but maybe half inch or so total flared at the bottom. i only know this because it was shown to me by mauro. i wear mine with adi superstars and onitsukas, i think they look fine. a lot of people also wear them with chucks. but yes, it's such a slight flare that i don't think they'd look right with "bigger" shoes like dunks (at least they wouldn't when people wear them like they do around here).

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kilokore
...and to my demise, I'm not really liking it all that much at all. After reading numerous posts about how I should get one size smaller for it will stretch and everything, i got 29x32. I open it up, okay, feels like cardboard, the sewing, the ink. yep everything is in place. I try them on and boy how tight like tiger they were. Getting in and out of them was a workout. Walking down and up the flights of stairs was a workout too. I mean the pair was so rigid I couldn't even walk in them comfortably. Yah, I know. That's what it's like the first time blah blah it will wear and tear blah blah, right? But the real problem I have with these is the fit. I mean it could be that it was w29 but I have to be honest, mine fits more like a slim than a bootcut. I expected it to taper in the bottom and all but not this much. I've tried onitsuka, dunk, af, etc. and wow do they look stupid.. I don't know. Am I not ready for a pair of dry selvage yet?? What do you guys think I should do
You know, I was a little underwhelmed by the same (RRDS), also. Expectations maybe were too high? Don't know. I will give them another shot if I find them dirt cheap. Otherwise, I will keep looking for some cheap RRL dry.

modual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seoulfully
did you do much in the way of research on these? not trying to sound like and ass or anything, but the fit sounds like RRDSes to me. the reg ralphs bootcut flare is tiny. it's basically the same cut as the SSDS but maybe half inch or so total flared at the bottom. i only know this because it was shown to me by mauro. i wear mine with adi superstars and onitsukas, i think they look fine. a lot of people also wear them with chucks. but yes, it's such a slight flare that i don't think they'd look right with "bigger" shoes like dunks (at least they wouldn't when people wear them like they do around here).

I have to disagree with the ssds and rrds being basically the same cut. rrds are my favourite jeans by a country mile so i purchased the ssds online thinking exactly what you said. How wrong i was. The ssds is much looser in the thigh and the knee seems really baggy. I would say the fit of the ssds is more like my lvc 1947 except the rise is lower and the hem is bigger by 1". In conclusion rrds is bootcut and the ssds is straight - very different jeans

seoulfully

Reaction score
Originally Posted by modual
I have to disagree with the ssds and rrds being basically the same cut. rrds are my favourite jeans by a country mile so i purchased the ssds online thinking exactly what you said. How wrong i was. The ssds is much looser in the thigh and the knee seems really baggy. I would say the fit of the ssds is more like my lvc 1947 except the rise is lower and the hem is bigger by 1". In conclusion rrds is bootcut and the ssds is straight - very different jeans

dunno man, I went looking for RRDS, and almost got SSDS instead (because they didn't have my size in RRDS) because it was so close. Granted I didn't try them on, but Mauro laid out a pair of RRDS and SSDS in the same size and they were identical save the subtle flare of the RRDS. Though Nudie sizing, as far as I can tell based on the experience of a few friends, is not exactly uniform all the time. So maybe that's where our difference lies. Regardless, it sounds like the original poster was looking for more of a bootcut than the RRDS provides, but I think, at least my "research" prior to buying showed the RRDS wasn't super flare, but very subtle (to use subtle again).

PunctualAlex

Reaction score
I was way less impressed with my nudies in person than I would've guessed from all of the reviews and pictures and fanboyism online. I still like them a lot, but they're not all you might think given what some people on the internet say about them. But I got mine for cheap, so still not a bad investment...
I dunno. Normally I would say give them a few days at least because they're so new, but with dry denim giving them a few days is as good as keeping them. Good luck man.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seoulfully
dunno man, I went looking for RRDS, and almost got SSDS instead (because they didn't have my size in RRDS) because it was so close. Granted I didn't try them on, but Mauro laid out a pair of RRDS and SSDS in the same size and they were identical save the subtle flare of the RRDS. Though Nudie sizing, as far as I can tell based on the experience of a few friends, is not exactly uniform all the time. So maybe that's where our difference lies. Regardless, it sounds like the original poster was looking for more of a bootcut than the RRDS provides, but I think, at least my "research" prior to buying showed the RRDS wasn't super flare, but very subtle (to use subtle again).

Think the Olas would have worked better for him? I am hoping to try some on at some point myself.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Think the Olas would have worked better for him? I am hoping to try some on at some point myself.

Prolly not. The Olas arent very flared either, and have a much skinnier leg. I think the RR has more of a noticeable flare than Ola, which is closer to a straightleg than what most geezers are used to when buying 'bootcut'

jookz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kilokore
But the real problem I have with these is the fit. I mean it could be that it was w29 but I have to be honest, mine fits more like a slim than a bootcut. I expected it to taper in the bottom and all but not this much. I've tried onitsuka, dunk, af, etc. and wow do they look stupid.. I don't know. Am I not ready for a pair of dry selvage yet?? What do you guys think I should do
I think you should take pictures. The RRs have a 2" break from the knees to the hem, so I don't really know what you mean by 'tapered'; they should be flaring out, instead. If you don't like them, you don't like them; everyone has different styles. However, I don't see how the RRs could be mistaken for a pair of tapered jeans. In regards to whether the Olas would be a better fit: doubtful. Both the RR and the Ola have a 2" diff. from the knee to the hem. If he has a problem with the RR being too slim, then he would have a very serious problem with the Olas.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
2" difference? just to clarify from my POV, my Olas measure 8" at knee and 8.5" at them....in contrast, my RR measure 8.5" at knee and 9.5" at hem

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre

No, as others have stated, the Olas are both slimmer in the leg and *seem* more of a straightleg than the Ralphs (for the same size, of course). Not to mention that they are significantly lower rise than the Ralphs.

I would try the Flare Glenns (flarez
smile.gif
), which are significantly, well, more flared than either the Olas or Ralphs.

modual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Prolly not. The Olas arent very flared either, and have a much skinnier leg. I think the RR has more of a noticeable flare than Ola, which is closer to a straightleg than what most geezers are used to when buying 'bootcut'

I'm seriously thinking about getting olas after my disappointment with the svens. They look very stylish on the nudie fit guide. My only concern is the low rise. Does anyone know what the rise measures on a 32" waist ola by the way ?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modual
I'm seriously thinking about getting olas after my disappointment with the svens. They look very stylish on the nudie fit guide. My only concern is the low rise. Does anyone know what the rise measures on a 32" waist ola by the way ?

my Ola is a 32 and the rise is 8.5"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads