• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I got a Burberry Prorsum 2011 Biker Jacket...

transient

Reaction score
Originally Posted by steveoffice
really? i must've missed it. pics pleaz

i love the leather but it doesn't look very good on you. the rest of your clothes is way too mall brandish for a runway piece like that, and cut of the jacket is not flattering to your body.

For the jacket is too "overdesigned" comments.

I'm pretty sure this:

http://burberryltd.scene7.com/is/ima...EC_9x16_large$

isn't too far off from this:

Feature_WildOne-med.jpg

besides an added belt whats so overdesigend? if you are worried about shininess, it's going to fade as you wear them. it's not gonna be sparkly forever.

It IS over designed now that I think about it. This one just has a belt but the Burberry one has dual buckle straps that dangle meaninglessly when the whole thing isn't zipped up. I personally can't dig the 'lapels' it goes for even though I think there are Rick models that do the same thing. And again, the hardware screams bling, the polished steel or whatever. He can wear it and pull it off if he's a true rock and roller. OP, are you a rock and roller?

951socal

Reaction score
Agree'd its not a standard perfecto, its been drastically reworked. However the jacket has a few things going for it, the shape of the sleeve , the cuff design and shape are reminescent of the julius (yu-lee-us) motos
IMG_1665.jpg
^^^^^^^^^Note Julius Moto Sleeves ^^^^^^^^^ and i like the fact that there are 2 zippers located on the jacket really makes it functional in this southern california climate. But otherwise i hate to say that im not a fan

Wupper

Reaction score
I think that if you need a (self-) justification for wearing a jacket, other than feeling comfortable in it cause you like the style and fit, it's not the right piece of clothing for you. It seems like you are pretty unsure and lacking in self-confindence and that shouldn't be the case.

As some others here, I find the jacket over designed. There's way too much going on with it. I even find it a bit tacky and gaudy. Just not my taste.

Milksauce

Reaction score
I think you should wear it with just a t-shirt. That shirt really doesn't do that jacket justice. Its a nice jacket but I think it could do with less buttons/pockets.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The jackets lays well on you. Don't be thrown off by the Schott jackets, they're not even close to as cool. People here like them because they're original and timeless, but they can also pass for a dad jacket.

You have a fashion jacket. It's made in Italy. You're in San Francisco. You ride a motorcycle. I don't see the problem.

xccx

Reaction score
A few points of clarification...

+I like the jacket and I think it looks good on.
+ The pics are not necessarily indicative of how i'd wear it. I'd wear it a number of ways.
+ my hesitation lies mainly in how I may be perceived while wearing the jacket. Perhaps its a topic for another discussion but in some ways, people with style in San Francisco tend to stick out. Don't want to open a huge can of worms with that because I DO THINK that the locals have style.

jediswayze

Reaction score
I feel like this whole perception issue isn't really about this leather jacket in particular, but leather jackets in general. You need swagger and confidence to wear leathers in the first place, there is a whole cultural context with leather jackets (especially in America) which demands you be a bad ass. With that being said, you would probably be having this same dilemma irregardless of the type of jacket you ended up purchasing.

But seriously, you live in one of the most diverse and tolerant places in the country. There is no way this jacket causes that much of a ruckus, its all in your head man.

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xccx
A few points of clarification...

+I like the jacket and I think it looks good on.
+ The pics are not necessarily indicative of how i'd wear it. I'd wear it a number of ways.
+ my hesitation lies mainly in how I may be perceived while wearing the jacket. Perhaps its a topic for another discussion but in some ways, people with style in San Francisco tend to stick out. Don't want to open a huge can of worms with that because I DO THINK that the locals have style.

I know what you mean, i think its more of a California wide thing, leather jackets just are not common here. its probably because the weather, hell even on bikes only about half the people wear actual leather its either textile or squid style.

As for fashion jackets, they are few and far between, even pleather jackets are rarely seen.

Alot of peoplewho don't live here don't understand the laid back style, like even with trench coats, on the east coast they are common as hell. i don't know a single person with a full length trench.

you really do stand out in a leather jacket
you REALLY stand out with a perfecto jacket (even if its classic)
and a perfecto jacket with added features, nickel plated hardware and reworked sleeves? people will stare

xccx

Reaction score
it gets cold enough in SF to wear the jacket on a semi-regular basis (especially if on a bike), but i agree with everything you are saying. it may be a California thing. I wouldn't think twice about wearing this in NY. It's funny because I think one of the most common jackets here (a patagonia puffy) is the most ghastly thing ever -- and while it's so ubiquitous here, i could never imagine wearing it in nyc or europe.

in a way this conversation begs the question "just when & where IS a leather jacket like that appropriate?" the studded one especially -- i love that jacket but i'd never buy it and i can't imagine having an occasion to wear it. it's kind of like yo need to create your own opportunities to wear these things because they are irreverent by nature.

I have a waxed canvas schott that i wear all the time and i'm surprised how many compliments i get on it (from complete strangers, too). I wouldn't think twice about wearing a leather schott -- and while I love them, they too are coming into the heritage limelight and what do you know....supreme ny has a schott collab and pretty soon it's probably gonna end up in jcrew paired with a khaki military button up.

A big reason why I fell in love with the Prorsum jacket is because it retains the biker style while modernizing certain things. one of my favorite aspects of the jacket is the double belt. I like that the buckles are smaller. Truth be told, the big buckle on a schott can get in the way and scratch your tank (depending on your bike and riding position). I can't say I'd wear the Prorsum Jacket as my sole riding jacket but I certainly would ride with it occasionally.

My attitude for a jacket like this is (or was)...I'll wear it whenever the f**k I want. I'll wear it over a tux or with flip flops to church if i feel like it.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At the end of the day, no one gives a damn what you wear. You may a get a few more looks when you walk in a room but 2 minutes later, no one cares. Just wear with confidence but if you are this insecure about the jacket, maybe the it just isn't for you. Sell it and continue looking for one with less hardware, consider the ToJ minmalist DR, it is a much simpler version of this DR and it is made to your measurements so it'll fit you for sure. You can even get the measurements of the Prorsum jacket and ToJ can make the DR in that speficifcations.

xccx

Reaction score
i hate to say it but, i'm really not a fan of ToJ.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Then I really do suggest to just keep looking. There really isn't a point in mulling over it if you are this unsure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads