• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I cut a hole in my sweater...

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got a sweater in the mail today and as I was cutting through the soft packaging I accidentally cut about a 1 inch **** in the sweater too...have any of you had any luck salvaging a garment from an accident like this? I'm pretty upset at myself for this...

wiru

Reaction score
darning it is one option (a way of repairing holes with needle and thread, maybe your grandmother knows how). you could also sew a patch on. either way it will always show, but the darning will show less. a patch, on the other hand, might look good.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
Darning (no idea it was called that) should work. I accidentially burned a hole with a cig on one of my sweaters and my mother was able to fix it pretty good.

But yeah, it will show. Depends on the type of the knit how much.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys. the fabric is actually more like a thick thermal material, would darning still work?

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A looser knit will be easier to repair w/o it being as noticable fix... How bout posting a pic of the area on the sweater? Might be easier to give advice if people can see the prob.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll maybe have to try putting up some pics after work. I called my tailor though and it sounded like they could do something about it. Might give that a shot.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cut it up some more and call it fashion.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
Great thread! I just had a similar problem today!

Found 2 holes in a fairly new cardigan. No idea how they got there. I have extra thread they included when I bought it, can I take that to my tailor? Will it look alright?

(holes are on the bottom cuffs)

~Stangzorized~

Reaction score
Send it back and say the sweater must have been placed too close to the tape and it's ALL THEIR FAULT!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads