• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I bought a tie on impulse...

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could go plain white oxford with a navy or dark brown suit. I think a lighter blue shirt with a darker blue large patterened check would look cool. A white shirt with a light green check could work although going into green would enter challenging satorial territory. Hope that helps.

A.

edit>I would avoid pairing pink with this particular tie, it's too much.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say stay with white shirts and solid navy and/or gray suits for now. You can branch out later after you've worn it a few times and gotten a feel for how it wears/plays.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a tie very similar to this. I would wear it with white and sky blue shirts. When getting dressed in the morning, I would try to pair it with my pink shirts, but was never pleased with the result.

I ended up selling it on ebay.

UMass

Reaction score
White shirt with charoal grey chalk stripe or plain suit.

Newton

Reaction score
White shirt

Or a white shirt with a pattern. Preferably not too colourful. Something to offset the green.

A light blue shirt may work as well.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have this exact RLPL tie (got it for a similar price as you actually) and it's a ***** to pair well.

I think I've only worn it 2 or 3 times. Looking back through my pics, taken for the pinned thread, I can find it twice. I leave it to you to decide whether the combos work or not:

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
I would avoid pairing pink with this particular tie, it's too much.

That wins understatement of the day.
smile.gif

P3R3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I have this exact RLPL tie (got it for a similar price as you actually) and it's a ***** to pair well.

I think I've only worn it 2 or 3 times. Looking back through my pics, taken for the pinned thread, I can find it twice. I leave it to you to decide whether the combos work or not:

Call me ignorant, but those combos look great.

I really like the color.

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast

Hey, what kind of shoes are you wearing?

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
I own a very similar Borrelli 7-Fold, I haven't worn it yet, but I can picture it with a charcoal suit and white shirt. Also, I can't imagine wearing it at this time of the year...

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyblazini
Hey, what kind of shoes are you wearing?

I can't be sure from memory and the photo res is a little bit low to be absolutely sure either... but the first pair look like my Ferragamo Tramezza Danielys in burgundy calf and the second are probably my Loake 1880 Exeters in dark brown burnished calf.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have tie almost that same color but in a tweed silk I got from J Crew. I have only ever worn it twice so far and both times with a white shirt. However, I do need some more dress shirts since most of mine are kinda basic.

You could wear that tie with some purple striped shirt or something like that. Brown would look good too. Maybe even some oranges and yellows. The example in the pic looks great too. I find that when wearing ties that are hard to match, sometimes it is really fun to purposely make it not match even close, then it looks like you know what you are doing even when you might not. This is probably usually best done with a bold patterned shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads