• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So... HSV-1. Who has it?

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Money is a consideration as well. I'd prefer not to be paying for people's HSV screenings in my insurance premium if there's little practical implication of the test results. TS, you realize that, in the absence of symptoms, there's no way to know whether your HSV-1 infection is oral or genital (or both), right? And that if you have an oral infection (more common than genital for HSV-1 in the US), you can still infect others genitally through oral sex? Unless you plan to give up kissing and all types of sex, it's not like you can take a lot of responsible precautions now that you know you're infected.

HSV-1 and HSV-2 are both common and fairly easily transmissible viruses, and there's not much you can do about them but treat any symptoms that arise, and avoid high-risk activity if you have sores in the mouth or on the ******** (when the virus is most transmissible).

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, just noticed this part:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
There's no benefit to knowing if you are HSV-1 positive. BUT the tests also tell you whether you are HSV-2 positive or not. And even if you've never had a genital outbreak, you can still pass on the disease. Not being tested for herpes and just assuming you don't have it is stupid.
You should do some more reading on HSV. Here's a start: http://www.herpes.com/hsv1-2.html For all you know, you may be shedding HSV-1 genitally right now -- or orally. Will you be informing your future sex partners of your HSV-positive status, and of the fact that they may acquire a genital infection from you, either through oral sex or intercourse? I doubt it (especially considering they probably also would test positive for HSV, but have never been tested and are ignorant on the subject). A person who tests positive for HSV-2 is in a similar position. I'm not seeing the practical benefit of testing for either virus, if you've never had any symptoms of herpes.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
You get yourself infected and the rest of us are a bunch of ignorant cave hermits with bad memories who simply must be in the same boat as you.

It's just a matter of statistics. I don't doubt that SF is populated by the "creme de la creme" of American society, but if anywhere near 80% of adult Americans have it, they aren't voting in this poll, now are they.
smile.gif

Unless you've been tested, you don't know. It's not as if you can say "No, I don't have it because I've never shown any symptoms". As I've stated I have never had an outbreak of any kind. And as the poster below points out, that means that I don't know exactly where it is.

Originally Posted by Asch
Money is a consideration as well. I'd prefer not to be paying for people's HSV screenings in my insurance premium if there's little practical implication of the test results. TS, you realize that, in the absence of symptoms, there's no way to know whether your HSV-1 infection is oral or genital (or both), right? And that if you have an oral infection (more common than genital for HSV-1 in the US), you can still infect others genitally through oral sex? Unless you plan to give up kissing and all types of sex, it's not like you can take a lot of responsible precautions now that you know you're infected.

You bring up a good point about the insurance. But in regards to the bolded section, I gave that up ten years or so ago. Had about six months where I fell off the wagon, but I'm back on it. Just doing my part to not spread around the disease.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ah, just noticed this part: You should do some more reading on HSV. Here's a start:.
One of the first things I read.
For all you know, you may be shedding HSV-1 genitally right now -- or orally. Will you be informing your future sex partners of your HSV-positive status, and of the fact that they may acquire a genital infection from you, either through oral sex or intercourse? I doubt it (especially considering they probably also would test positive for HSV, but have never been tested and are ignorant on the subject). A person who tests positive for HSV-2 is in a similar position. I'm not seeing the practical benefit of testing for either virus, if you've never had any symptoms of herpes.
Never doubt me. If I ever DO decide to ******** again, they will know. I don't understand why you wouldn't see a practical benefit of someone knowing that they have a contagious disease. While many people have HSV-1, not as many have HSV-2 and it's not really socially acceptable to shed it all over someone who doesn't have it. Seems like something that people aught to know about themselves. Guess what, a lot of people don't show symptoms of HIV either. Does that mean that it's ok to go around assuming you don't have it?

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you read that link, I don't understand why you drew the distinction between HSV-1 and HSV-2 testing. If you believe that people with HSV-2 need to know, so that they won't infect others, why is there "no benefit" to knowing if you have HSV-1, since you can also pass that on to others, either orally or genitally? Is it just the fact that it's a smaller proportion of adults whom you might infect, since most already have it?
eh.gif
Some researchers consider HSV-1 more serious than HSV-2, since it's the virus typically involved in infections of the eye and brain. On the other hand, HSV-2 can cause recurrent genital outbreaks. Both types have risks. With HIV, you can easily prevent transmission if you know you have it; it's only transmitted through bodily fluids. The same is not true for HSV. But yes, if HSV had as serious consequences as HIV typically has, then there'd undoubtedly be a drive to eradicate it, which would involve regular testing and strong lifestyle restrictions on those who were infected (no sharing of drinks, towels, lip balm, social kisses, etc.). As it stands, I don't think most public health experts consider HSV to be a serious enough problem to warrant that much attention, beyond symptomatic relief and avoidance of sex (especially unprotected sex) for those who have genital outbreaks.

Kookz

Reaction score
But in regards to the bolded section, I gave that up ten years or so ago. Had about six months where I fell off the wagon, but I'm back on it. Just doing my part to not spread around the disease.

Not to thread sidetrack as I'm pretty new to the board and maybe you've gone into this, but if you don't mind talking about it, is this a self-imposed abstinence? I have a tough time wrapping my head around that.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
no sharing of drinks, towels, lip balm, social kisses, etc.
Do people do this kind of stuff? Dude, let me share your lip balm! Let me have a sip of your drink, my throat is parched! I dunno, it doesn't seem like that that strong of a lifestyle restriction.
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kookz
Not to thread sidetrack as I'm pretty new to the board and maybe you've gone into this, but if you don't mind talking about it, is this a self-imposed abstinence? I have a tough time wrapping my head around that.
Yes. Apparently I am not normal.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TS, you have an interesting outlook on all of this. You seem to hold some unique and possibly admirable beliefs. But it's also the perfect example of why most people shouldn't know. It's hilarious.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is it just the fact that it's a smaller proportion of adults whom you might infect, since most already have it?
eh.gif
Some researchers consider HSV-1 more serious than HSV-2, since it's the virus typically involved in infections of the eye and brain. On the other hand, HSV-2 can cause recurrent genital outbreaks. Both types have risks.

Yes, but it's a risk that most people already take with HSV-1, and most currently DON'T with HSV-2. Since the chances are that nearly everyone you meet has or will have HSV-1, significantly altering your life to prevent transmission is relatively pointless, I can see that. BUT if you have (specifically) genital HSV-2 there ARE ways to change your behavior to minimize the possibility of transmission. 80% of Americans have HSV-1, but only 20% of Americans have HSV-2.
By the time they're adults, only some 5% of people are bothered enough to consider oral HSV-1 a medical problem
There is a big difference between having a cold sore when you are five or whatever, and never seeing it again, and having reoccurring genital outbreaks an average of once a year from the age of 20- something to 30 something. Even though they are "medically" practically the same, there IS a social stigma, and there is one not only because of the virus's location in your body, but that nowhere near as many people have it and most people, if given the opportunity would take precautions against getting/giving it to someone else because it seems like more of a pain **********. (or ********).

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
TS, you have an interesting outlook on all of this. You seem to hold some unique and possibly admirable beliefs. But it's also the perfect example of why most people shouldn't know. It's hilarious.
What's that supposed to mean?
smile.gif
Does this mean you sip from other people's drinks, share their lip balm, and make out with strange people on a frequent basis? Are you Linday Lohan?

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do people do this kind of stuff? Dude, let me share your lip balm! Let me have a sip of your drink, my throat is parched! I dunno, it doesn't seem like that that strong of a lifestyle restriction.
smile.gif

For this reason I find the poll results in this thread believable. Only about 50% of young adults have HSV-1, so if the crowd here skews toward the young and the OCDish (and many threads suggest the latter, not just your comment about sharing drinks
wink.gif
), I can see a little more than 1/3 (assuming some of the "I don't know" folks have it) being realistic. In any case, I've never had HSV symptoms nor have I been tested, but I'm probably more worried about HPV overall, given the recent findings on oral and throat cancer. Unfortunately the vaccine is not available to males, as far as I know, and I might already have the relevant strains anyway.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
It's the same test. It tests for both. Now, the doctor may or may not TELL you your HSV-1 results, but that's something else altogether. I find it somewhat scary/amusing that 15 out of 28 people who've voted so far claim to be HSV-1 Negative. I have a feeling that at least a few of you are just assuming that you don't have it.
"Not I" said the Matt. I had a 'better get yourself tested' call about 2 months ago from an ex. That was scary, but all clear. Woohoo.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For this reason I find the poll results in this thread believable.

Somehow though, I thought that normal people had more social contact than me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads