So, how many suits do you own?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by newsuit, Oct 21, 2004.

1. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I'm a writer who works from home so I don't need to own suits and jackets but I do like to dress up weekend nights so: I have two suits and I believe in the neighbourhood of 18 sport jackets. To accompany them I believe are about 100 shirts, though only about 50 I would consider to be the A stock.

As for ties, I don't wear them anymore but I do have a decent collection of about 10 or so.

2. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

(FIHTies @ 21 Oct. 2004, 9:16) www.CarloFranco.com a local favorite on the forum here Member name Chuck can probably help more on the Long issues. JJF
    FYI, Chuck's member name is Carlo.
    Its been a long week... [​IMG] JJF

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

6 suits with 6 extra waistcoats (for a total of 6 jackets, 12 trousers and 12 waistcoats), about 20 dark blue shirts and 20 white shirts (for day to day wear), 40-50 nicer shirts with white french cuffs and white colars (for meetings), 2 top coats, trench coat in cloth, trench coat in leather (specifically for eastern Europe). couple of nice dressing gowns, one dinner jacket.

I would say that if I wanted to build a starter wardrobe I would get 4 suits with 2 pair of pants each, and maybe 10 shirts, 2 pair of shoes and a good lines trench coat. I lived with that for a few years in my twenties. I also think that it is a good strategy to have all your shirts look alike for day to day office wear - it simplifies your life and people realize that it isn't the same shirt, they have no idea how many shirts you have.

4. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I have 4 suits and 2 sports coat for work and 2 suits for special occasion.

I have about 5 dress shirts for work and 4 for going out clubbing etc. You may think thats not enough, but all the shirts I have, I wear them all. I do not like to keep or buy things that I would not wear.

For each suits, I wear AT MOST once a week. If you are living in colder region, I suggest you to buy mid weighted fabric suits and wear over coat when it gets cold.

5. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

I pared down my closet last spring before moving; I'm now at 7 suits and 9 sports coats (Had 14 suits and 12 sports coats before that--now I'm feeling the urge to acquire... [​IMG] )

6. ct2272

ct2272 Well-Known Member

Everything that follows is MTM.

2 suits - Navy and Charcoal.  Both are 3 piece.  I am planning to add a Brown suit and an Oxford Grey one, although I rarely wear suits as it is and am looking at those purchases as simply a splurge (ie. no financial reason why I would do it).  For detail, they are Super 120's Wool and Cashmere in what I believe to be fused (although I swear it has a canvas front in an almost 50-50 canvas vs. fused). I plan to get the Brown and Grey in a full canvas, Super 150 fabric.

Separately, I have built a 2:1 ratio of shirts to trousers since my office is business casual.  I just color coordinate based on that ratio.  Right now 4 trousers, 8 shirts.  Trousers are Wool 120's with a full lining (vs. to the knee).  Shirts are various 2ply and 3ply's Cottons (twills, oxfords, and egyptian).

I will most likely maintain that ratio going forward as I add more trousers and shirts.

Regards,
    CT

7. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

37 suits for me (top row of my picture. Bottom row is sport coats and dinner jackets). I keep telling myself, I am not obsessive, I am not obsessive, I am not obsessive............................. [​IMG]

8. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Well, at least the hangers aren't perfectly spaced out over the length of the bar.

9. justlurkingthanks

justlurkingthanks Senior member

J: Now that you've help Mr. This refine his obsession, don't you have some penance to do?

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

cuffthis,

wow. no more words.

11. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Sir, I tip my hat to you.

12. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

I never thought I'd fall in love with a closet. Once again I was wrong.

13. dhinggok

dhinggok Senior member

I have 12 suits. I have like 4 that are heavyweight cloth and good for the Winter months. I have 8 that are of medium/lightweight cloth and those are great for the rest of the year. I know I will get a lot of heat for this, as I did for the Turnbull and Asser post earlier, but I usually buy my suits custom or MTM. Unfortunately, the time has come where I need some more suits; and given my new job, I suspect I will definitely be adding 12 new MTM Brioni duds to my closet. Either Brioni or possibly, custom Fioravanti suits.

14. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior member

You sound like me Tom.

I have 32 suits, 53 pairs of shoes, 57 businessshirts, 180 ties, 25 pairs of cufflinks, 43 pairs of undies, 13 Casual jackets, 16 pairs of jeans, 12 top-notch belts, etc......

15. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I have 5 suits and 2 sportscoats that are appropriate for business.  That is more than enough for me.  I am always looking out for good deals, but have become a lot more discriminating now that I am a civil servant with a mortgage.