• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So how long before my RLBL suit and 348 C&Js become unfashionable?

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Enjoy the suit and shoes. And don't take other people's comments too seriously. As an engineering student, you may be somewhat self-conscious (as many of my friends who are engineers tend to be), but you don't need other people's affirmations about your purchase.

Eventually you will make enough money when you work full-time and hopefully you will buy suits and shoes at that time that you won't have to think too much about whether they will stay in fashion for some time.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The RLBL skinny lapel, shorter length look will likely be dated in about 5 years. But the real truth is that outside of the fashion world, it'll be good for another 10 years, at least, because Joe Average does not know any different.

Chances are YOU will be the one sick of the RLBL before anybody around you point out that your suit is dated.

As far as shoes, the 348 last is a bit fashion foward, but really not excessively so. I have a pair of the Lowndes and I expect it wear it in good health for 10+ years. Firstly because it'll take much longer to look "dated" than a square-toe equivalent. Classic shoe shapes lean toward the elliptical/elongated shape much more than a square toe shape.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RLBL lapels are really not THAT skinny nor is the length THAT short. Just a little bit. I wouldn't call it fashionable like, say, TB or BB BF

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually find BL to be quite long by other fashion-forward standards. I'm 6 foot and I purchased a BL in a short to get a little more fashionable look and even then it still covers my entire back side.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
Im just glad you bought it without asking us if it is ok. You probably have a great deal of life left in your purchases. Cant wait to see pics.
- AGREED

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do not worry with being fashionable because today's fashionable clothing will be tomorrow fashion disaster and vice-versa...
Always go for classic and elegant suits ....They will never go out of fashion...
Avoid any gimmick , go for simplicity because pure elegance is easy to appreciate...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
They're already unfashionable, not that it matters as they aren't glaringly so. Wear until you're tired of your items or get the engineer paunch and can't fit into your suit, you'll be fine.

JohnD356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
They're already unfashionable, not that it matters as they aren't glaringly so. Wear until you're tired of your items or get the engineer paunch and can't fit into your suit, you'll be fine.

How do you figure? If you asked me what was 'in' now, I'd consult my nearest Borders and find magazines filled with slim-cut, 2 button, low-stance, narrow lapel, flat front suits. If that's not the current 'thing' in men's fashion (and yes, I use that word on purpose knowing it makes many sick), I don't know what is.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I could have got them for $750 total.

tongue.gif

Just kidding (well, maybe not entirely), but that just seemed like a good classic SF response.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I could have got them for $750 total.

tongue.gif

Just kidding (well, maybe not entirely), but that just seemed like a good classic SF response.

Haha. Yah, OP paid way too much.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnD356
How do you figure? If you asked me what was 'in' now, I'd consult my nearest Borders and find magazines filled with slim-cut, 2 button, low-stance, narrow lapel, flat front suits. If that's not the current 'thing' in men's fashion (and yes, I use that word on purpose knowing it makes many sick), I don't know what is.
Well it's not that it isn't something that some designers show (we're not talking acid wash jeans here) as fashion is so fragmented that minor and reactive trends abound but I wouldn't say it is a major one anymore; a lot of the French or Italian houses now present relaxed or "regular" looks and the all-tight, all the time isn't a mainstay. As for GQ or whatever I wouldn't know, the only fashion mag I sometimes buy are Gap Men Press (nothing to do with The Gap). I'd buy Paradis, Purple or ID if they had more than one shoot I like per issue.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments guys. I guess I did need a bit of support after seeing the charges on my CC
tongue.gif
. The C&J is not the Hallam, it's identical except it doesn't have a cap toe (its a plain toe). It's called the Dalton. I could have waited and waited for a charcoal 38R notch lapel to show up here or on eBay, but I've been tracking it for almost 3 months and I saw one, and that was here and it sold very quickly. A few black ones show up, but I wanted one suit my way. I'll no doubt post pics...I should have the suit in my hands in two weeks, perhaps sooner. This was just my "non-engineer" thing to do. I go to conferences, presentations, etc. and I see horrible fashion, so I wanted to do some right
smile.gif
. Heck, even at weddings, I rarely see someone and say, wow, they're well dressed. Of course my previous basic (unmentionable brand) suit was also of that ilk. As far as alterations, I had the sleeves adjusted slightly (my arms are ever so slightly uneven), trousers hemmed with no cuff, seat taken in, waist taken in, and suit back taken in. They assured me they'll work to get it right if I'm not happy the first time around. Although my wallet says curses to SF. When I started posting here just a few months back I had 2 Kenneth Coles and a pair of Nikes, now I have 3 Allen Edmonds and a C&J - and this suit :/. Now the search begins for the always popular white dress shirt and a few new ties. I always tie a dimpled pratt and the RLBL ties are kind of narrow for that. I can't go too wide because of the suit so I'll need a 3.25-3.5" tie.

JohnD356

Reaction score
I wouldn't sweat the price. While I hear that RLBL suits can be had for $500 (and certain styles/colors can), it's very, very rare to see a solid navy (or grey) notch lapel BL in a 38/40R. They come around, but it's one of those things you could wait a year for. I'm not saying run out an pay $2k for one, but I don't think expecting to find them 75% off is a realistic expectation. Now if you want a black peak lapel...that's a different story.

Guero

Reaction score
Another voice in support. I like both RLBL and the C&J 348 last (eagerly awaiting the arrival of my own). Generally speaking, while both have more fashion forward details, they are essentially based on the classic staples of men's suiting and shoes. The number of people for whom an RLBL suit will be considered out of style any time soon is extremely small and, from the sound of your professional environment, you're not likely to encounter them in the real world. Enjoy the new purchases.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think its perfectly fine to pay full price for those items.

That cut has stayed the same for five years, I think i read once, so its likely it will stay the same for much longer. It's on the slim side of the normal, non-fashion spectrum, which is why it is well loved by many here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads