• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So how do you 'Dress Respectfully'?

stuartSan

Reaction score
So I have this smart casual dinner tomorrow night (higher middle chinese restaurant), and my girlfriend has been dropping a few hints that she wouldn't wanna be seen with me, wearing what I had planned.

I found myself feeling pretty offended, and was wondering if you guys could help me out a little.

Usually, I'm a whatever-top/APC/Chucks kinda guy, and was thinking of going with a black button down, APC NS and black Chucks tomorrow.

Maybe I should get better shoes, but how else could I improve my appearance if I wanted to be taken more seriously?

My career is more to the creative side though (ironic), and being blue collared, I was hoping not to end up looking too pompous either. Thanks in advance!

Histrion

Reaction score
If you have ankle boots, that would be a good start. Go with a shirt or a nice sweater.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Substitute the jeans with a pair of well-fitting chinos or wool pants if you have one. Seriously.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
You just have to ask yourself, 'who wears the chucks in this relationship?'

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with a nice button-down shirt, dress pants, smart dress shoes, and a sport coat? You don't have to wear a tie, but you can at least make this one concession for once in your life.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the APC's are still dark and minimally distressed, they'll work. Dark button-down shirt, some ankle boots or something else if you have other options available, a blazer or sweater.....that would polish up the look while halfway keeping what you have.

stuartSan

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply guys. I'd certainly try to get better shoes, because I think it's time for sneakers to take the backseat in my life. Have been eye-ing a pair of affordable ankle boots from Clarks (no Desert Boots here
frown.gif
) Don't want to venture into anything too corporate, but would also make it easier to be seated at an expensive restaurant.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Other than desert boots and, to a lesser extent, wallies I think Clarks makes really ugly shoes.

denimaddict

Reaction score
I definitely think that wearing a decent non-sneaker shoe is the most important thing here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stuartSan
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I'd certainly try to get better shoes, because I think it's time for sneakers to take the backseat in my life. Have been eye-ing a pair of affordable ankle boots from Clarks (no Desert Boots here
frown.gif
)

Don't want to venture into anything too corporate, but would also make it easier to be seated at an expensive restaurant.

My personal opinion is that you can do a lot just tweaking your wardrobe a little. First off, the "whatever" top is a problem. If you are in decent shape, a slim henley sweater would work well. Fillipa K does a decent job at a relatively reasonable price. Wear a slim jacket, not a sportscoat, but nothing really technical either - Nice Collective and Engineered Garments both have models which fit the bill, depending on your preference, and you'll be fine. And if you really want to get away from kicks, some chukkas will substitute nicely.

My experience is that there is an optimal level of being "dressed up." If you are not used to wearing a suit or sportsjacket, chances are that you'll feel as uncomfortable in it as a high school senior in a prom tuxedo, and people will sense this. On the other hand, if you are really casual in a generic way (i.e. not real distinguishing pieces that really cue people that you have given some thought to your outfit), that will show as well.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Dunno hhow the temperature is where you are but your gf is probably looking for some sort of pseudo-preppy gettup.

Winter:
cashmere sweater
button down shirt
nice wool slacks or cords (can wear your jeans if nice enough)
dress shoes or boots

Summer:
light jacket
dress shirt
jeans
boots

This could be good.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
dressing well is about maintaining your personal style while still being appropriate for the occasion. the chinos, dress shirt, jacket is a great suggestion. definitely get some nice shoes(not sneakers). just shop around until you find some stuff that you like. its easy to dress more formally without looking like a square.
bigstar[1].gif

mr.loverman

Reaction score
and get over the whole "i don't want to look too corporate" bullshit. being close minded is lame and immature whichever side of the line you are on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics