• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So Help Me Choose Between Slim-Fit and Tailored Fit

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
I've finally realized how badly my shirts fit, and have been doing research on affordable dress shirts for the past few days. I'm wondering what kind of slim-fit shirt would fit me best. Before one of you posts the link to that 113 pg Definitive Thread on Slim-Fit Shirts, I went through the last 60 pages of it and got the gist of the board consensus.

I'm 5'11", 170 lbs, 42" chest, 33" waist, and was wondering whether BB\\CT's slim fit or tailored\\extra slim fit would be a better choice for me. I've done searches, but haven't really found a definitive answer. At this point, I just graduated college and just started working at a company, so while I'm not hesitant to pull the trigger on 4 for $200 on Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, I'm not at that level where I can do MTM or bespoke. Maybe in a year or so, but not now.

Also, given that holiday sales are right around the corner, what other companies should I be looking at
puzzled.gif
So far, I've heard these companies either from posts on this site or from recommendations of friends:

- Thomas Pink
- Charles Tyrwhitt
- TM Lewin
- Brooks Brothers
- H & H

Which ones should I be looking at if I want to spend $200-250
uhoh.gif

IBJanky

Reaction score
Whatever you buys, don't expect them to be as slim as you expect.

I ordered some slim fit shirts from TM Lewin and when I got them they were loose all around.

That's why I take all my clothes to my tailor so I can get them as slim as I want.

myke

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
If you are willing to settle for CT quality by mail, why not try out online MTM with Modern Tailor or Jantzen?

For the same price or less than what you'd pay CT, you can get a much better fitting shirt with the specs (i.e., collar type, etc) exactly the way you want them.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
How long is the turnaround for Jantzen? Also, I couldn't find a price estimate from his site. Is he going to be running any specials?

m.gway

Reaction score
unicornprincess (lol),

I'm 6'0 170lbs 32 waist.

BB extra slim fit are a decent fit. A little tight around the shoulder (to many pull-ups?) and need back darts from tailor. I have about eight of these shirts now.

Also have some shirts from CottonWork. If you get your measurements right you might have some great luck with them. BB fabric is better though in my opinion.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
perfect. this was exactly the type of answer I was looking for. I'll go and try out a 15/15.5 at the BB store today.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m.gway
unicornprincess (lol),

I'm 6'0 170lbs 32 waist.

BB extra slim fit are a decent fit. A little tight around the shoulder (to many pull-ups?) and need back darts from tailor though. I have about eight of these shirts now.

I find the extra slim shirts to be uncomfortably tight around the shoulders and arm holes, and their slim fit to be too baggy. I was going to try MT later on, but maybe I'll give TM Lewin a try, since 4 for 144 isn't enough to cry over if they don't work well.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im a little bigger than you and the bb slim fit is good on me so you should more likely be good with extra slim, i find their shirts to be quite nice and last for a long time good luck

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree above none will probably be as slim as you want.

I have brought almost all of my dress shirts to the tailor. Easy solution is go to Marshalls/TJMaxx and buy some Polo Ralph Lauren Dress shirts in the standard fit. Bring them to a tailor, and for $30-40 on top of the $30 shirt you just bought, you have an excellent fitting, quality RL Polo dress shirt. Way better than any OTR slim-fit you will find!. Do the same with any normal-fit quality brand you can find on sale.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
I agree above none will probably be as slim as you want.

I have brought almost all of my dress shirts to the tailor. Easy solution is go to Marshalls/TJMaxx and buy some Polo Ralph Lauren Dress shirts in the standard fit. Bring them to a tailor, and for $30-40 on top of the $30 shirt you just bought, you have an excellent fitting, quality RL Polo dress shirt. Way better than any OTR slim-fit you will find!. Do the same with any normal-fit quality brand you can find on sale.

This would be a good temp fix while I accumulate to save for MTM shirts. Thanks for the rec.

So I went to the store yesterday and ended up being a 15.5/34. Found that while the slim fit fit me in the chest area well, the sleeves were baggy. The extra slim fit was a little tight in the chest area, but looked cleaner overall. I'm thinking I should go with the slim fit and have it taken to the tailor. Or should I just go with the xtra slim fit? Thoughts?

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx
This would be a good temp fix while I accumulate to save for MTM shirts. Thanks for the rec. So I went to the store yesterday and ended up being a 15.5/34. Found that while the slim fit fit me in the chest area well, the sleeves were baggy. The extra slim fit was a little tight in the chest area, but looked cleaner overall. I'm thinking I should go with the slim fit and have it taken to the tailor. Or should I just go with the xtra slim fit? Thoughts?
Yeah, if you get the extra slim fit and need to take in the waist, the chest is going to get even tighter. If you have the option of taking in the slim that'd be best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads