• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So has anyone actually grown out of acne?

4n6er

Reaction score
long time lurker, first time poster.

Im getting pretty sick of it. Im 17 years old btw. I dont have really horrible skin, but I do have moderate acne. Im feeling optimistic about growing out of it though, because none of my (older) family members have it. How do you guys feel about it?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew out of it about age 19, never had it bad though. Just wash your face as much as possible, and don't rest your hand on your cheek or anything. Drink more water, less stress, all that stuff probably can't hurt.

4n6er

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
Accutane

Wow, i was hoping not to hear (read?) that. In all honesty though, I doubt a doctor would give me a prescription for it. My acne isnt nearly as bad as some ive seen on others.

thx longskate, ill keep the drinking more water idea in mind.

zeni

Reaction score
Good question. I've got moderate acne too and I've been on pills/creams/washes for years, my derm says they're keeping it stable so I should stick with it. He says he usually only prescribes Accutane for severe cases because the side effects are generally pretty bad - anyone have any experience with it? Also, as far as washing your face as much as possible, this really depends on what you're washing with. I use a cleanser with 9% benzoyl peroxide. If I use it more than once a day, esp in the winter, my skin gets really dry/flakey.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once your testosterone drops a bit, the acne will probably start clearing up somewhat. Castration would accelerate the process, if Accutane is too extreme for you.

I'm in my mid-twenties and still get some acne on my back and face, but it's not too bad. Unless you have severe acne, no one else notices nearly as much as you do. You might consider growing facial hair if you have facial acne and are capable of growing a good-looking beard; the irritation of constant shaving can really aggravate acne.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) lots of H20

2) de-stress

3) don't touch face - wash hands frequently

4) try to use exfoliants daily

5) look at diet - lay off french fries, try more fruits and green veggies

4n6er

Reaction score
Ya, ive just been using a clearasil wash very morn. and night, and it seems to keep it tame. Im just hoping to get to a point where i dont need to used these products, i can just get out of bed a leave (not that i would, but I like the option).

Acsh, youre probably right. We are our toughest critics!

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of sleep. I found out that sleep is the #1 factor for how much acne I have, far more important than greasy food. If I have lots of sleep, even if I eat unhealthy food, the acne is not that bad. If I eat healthily, but don't sleep, I may still get acne.

Kique

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
Accutane

Accutane worked for me too. I had pretty bad acne though, I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.

There is some good advice here. Lots of water, don't touch your face, lay off the junk foods.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used Accutane when I was younger, and while it worked extremely well, and my acne never got as bad as it was prior to the prescription, the dry lips and other suffering associated with Accutane was enough that I would only advise it if your acne is causing you serious social issues.

I'm 25 now and my back is still bad (occasional boils, lots of splotches), and my face isn't great, but this is mostly because I pick compulsively. Avoid this like the plague... sit on your hands when you're not doing anything if you have to. I'm waiting for mine to die down permanently (hopefully by the time I'm 30 or so), and then I'll look at scar repair, because I look pretty sketchy.

Sunlight has also helped me. I'm very pale and my skin is always better in the summer.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
I have tried every treatment known to man. I've been on Accutane twice, I've tried every creme available and I even had laser treatment. I'm 20 now and my acne is much better then it has been, but it is still not where I want it to be. For me I have found the best way to treat it is to wash your face 2-3 three times a day, be clean and eat well.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
For daily maitenance I use the acne.og regiment.

That said, for serious acne there's Accutane and there's everything else. There's very little proven links between diet and acne (although some people think blood sugar spikes affect it..). What does your dermatologist say?

lithium180

Reaction score
My face started to get a lot less oily over the last couple of years (now 23). Acne from shaving has also decreased a lot. You might just have to wait it out.

In the meantime, cutting fried foods and dairy out of your diet will help a lot, as will drinking water, getting enough sleep, showering and exercising regularly. I noticed the biggest decrease in my overall oiliness after quitting dairy and frieds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads