• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, apparently APC is making the old standard (as well as the new standard) again.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know that there is an official APC thread (um, I started it
smile.gif
) But I thought that this was interesting. I was chatting with Mauro (DENIMBAR) and he told me that they'd gotten in old "standards" as well as the "new standard". Now, we all know that the new standard is sized crazy, but the old standard (a little higher waisted) always fit close to true to size. I am wondering whether the entire APC line is now FUBAR, and the new "old standards" fits are all screwed up as well. I've posted on the "New purchases" thread several times in the past few weeks, which means that I am broke, but I want someone to get both and report back to us. I'ts not that expensive. Mauro is still selling them for $120, so you can get both pairs for the price of 1 pair of Rag & Bone's (and just one leg of a pair of Soraikos). 100 Styleforum credits! Oh, yeah, and everybody get on Mauro's case about getting his website up. He likes that.

Dangydang

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure these have been up on APC's site since last winter, although they weren't listed on the main "Jeans" page. I just checked the site again and they're no longer there anymore, but they used to be listed in the bottom right corner after clicking on the New Standards.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Does anyone have a pair of these new "old standards" though? Inquiring minds want to know.

I'll report back when they hit the stores, I'm also curious about that....are they supposed to be out yet? Oh and I sure as hell didn't see any standards (old) last season.

jgu

Reaction score
I saw some old standards in their soho store during their summer sale, wasn't on sale though. I asked the sales guy what's the difference between the new and old standards and he said the old standars have a higher waist. I didn't try them on because I didn't want to spend any more money.

duofold

Reaction score
Okay, now I'm more confused than ever. I've held off buying a pair of NS for half a year because of sizing anxiety.

Conventional wisdom (& LA Guy's original APC thread) stated that in order to achieve the skinny, 501 look, you should size 2 down.

So, what the hell is going on?!! Should I now buy 3 or even 4 down? I normally wear a size 31 in ES Fulton Patriot (loose 32 in RRDS). I almost made the leap to buy 29 in the NS from Mauro.

And then all this talk of how APC NS sizing has gone to hell...is this an anomaly to Denim Bar, brief/current batch, or will this be the new rule for NS sizing hereafter?

I just cannot reconcile in my mind that I'm a 28 or less, regardless of marque...that's eons ago in junior hs.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by duofold
Okay, now I'm more confused than ever. I've held off buying a pair of NS for half a year because of sizing anxiety.

Conventional wisdom (& LA Guy's original APC thread) stated that in order to achieve the skinny, 501 look, you should size 2 down.

So, what the hell is going on?!! Should I now buy 3 or even 4 down? I normally wear a size 31 in ES Fulton Patriot (loose 32 in RRDS). I almost made the leap to buy 29 in the NS from Mauro.

And then all this talk of how APC NS sizing has gone to hell...is this an anomaly to Denim Bar, brief/current batch, or will this be the new rule for NS sizing hereafter?

I just cannot reconcile in my mind that I'm a 28 or less, regardless of marque...that's eons ago in junior hs.

That is not limited to APC though. Try those old RRLs! I have a pair of 31x32 that started about 34 inches waist. Now they are pretty much 17. I am planning on finding some 28x34 as those are around 30.5" waist!

The Grapist

Reaction score
Yeah, APC in SoHo has had the Old Standards for quite a while. As well as "long " Standards.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
That is not limited to APC though. Try those old RRLs! I have a pair of 31x32 that started about 34 inches waist. Now they are pretty much 17. I am planning on finding some 28x34 as those are around 30.5" waist!
which is funny because the 2 pair of rrl that i have are true to size... maybe even a half size small!!

duofold

Reaction score
I thought to call the source (APC in New York) for advice.

Explained very clearly that I'm almost always a size 31 in other manufacturers' jeans.

The lady that picked up the phone asserted that I should stick with a size 31. Yes, I repeated my usual size in other jeans and how I've heard that APC NS should be sized down.

Yet she still wouldn't budge on her advice to buy true to size (31).
crazy.gif

The Grapist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by duofold
I thought to call the source (APC in New York) for advice.

Explained very clearly that I'm almost always a size 31 in other manufacturers' jeans.

The lady that picked up the phone asserted that I should stick with a size 31. Yes, I repeated my usual size in other jeans and how I've heard that APC NS should be sized down.

Yet she still wouldn't budge on her advice to buy true to size (31).
crazy.gif

Which is very weird, since the first time I went there they said "find a pair of jeans that you need to lie on the floor and squeeze into, that's your size"

duofold

Reaction score
Finally pulled the trigger on a pair of NS. Mauro of The Denim Bar was very quick in replying to my email...he strongly recommended sz 28.

Looking forward to these highly vaunted jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads