• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snowboarding Gear Dilemma

specialblend

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS. What you are wearing is crucial to maxing out your steeze. Okay I'm being a little sarcastic. But this is not the place to be asking for advice on what to wear on the hill, it's a completely different arena and well out of the range of expertise of this forum. I will say that generally Holden's quality vastly exceeds most foursquare stuff. The majority of mainstream snowboard brands are really pretty low-rent in that respect. But since you live in Vancouver, I'd head down to 4th and Burrard to Pacific Boarder and Comor, and ask Marin what he thinks you should wear. I do likewise. It costs nowhere near that much, thanks to "teh mad industry hookups", but retail value is way more than that. Think about it, though, some people are riding upwards of 100 days per season, and a pair of skis or board isn't going to typically last more than 60 days on hill before the core is fucked. Outerwear, waterproofing wears off, **** gets torn by edges. Boots, soles get worn down through walking, and they get bashed up on things. Gloves should be replaced every year even if you ride half that much, they just don't last (aside from Marmot Randonees / Ultimates and the like, which you might get 2 out of). Goggs get scratched and the foam gets wrecked. You get the picture. The only thing that will really last for a while is bindings. If this seems expensive, consider the pros (some go through 8-10 pairs of skis per season) and consider those who have BC/Pow, touring and park specific setups. I know people with 2 sets of the exact same skis mounted at different points for different purposes. Try replacing all that on a regular basis. This ****'s expensive... but we may console ourselves with the fact that at least it's still cheaper than mountain biking. I disagree. Your ideal waterproof rating varies depending on where you live. On the east coast, a 10k waterproof rating is more than enough, so long as you can layer to deal with varying temperatures. In Utah, 10k is fine, 20k is excellent. In Quebec and Onterrible, it doesn't even really matter what your waterproofing is, you just need something to deal with the -30 celsius temps at Avila. In the PNW, if you don't have a 20k+ (preferably 3-ply goretex) suit and you ride frequently you're not properly equipped. That being said, the main reason for needing 20k is wet snow or rain, and that stuff falls from the sky last time I checked, so the jacket's rating is actually more important than the pants (you have boots up to your mid calf, so if the bottom gets a little soggy you're still dry). The shoulder seams of the jacket are the point through which most moisture enters.
Finally some useful information. I'll go back down and find Marin, thats where I found the Holden gear. I do ride frequently and need good gear. THe only reason I asked here was because i wanted a quick style critique. I didn't expect to find any knowledge about technical features.

Johnnyscans

Reaction score
In a nutshell, spend the money on quality gear, your extremities will thank you, especially on those <-10 degree days.

If you're in the market for baselayers and other undergarments, Patagonia and smart-wool both have awesome pieces.

specialblend

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnnyscans
In a nutshell, spend the money on quality gear, your extremities will thank you, especially on those <-10 degree days.

If you're in the market for baselayers and other undergarments, Patagonia and smart-wool both have awesome pieces.

Once again, its not the money that concerns me and I know either way I'm getting quality gear. I AM NOT A NOVICE. This is purely a style question, nothing to do with quality or cost.

bohemianmidnight

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jimmyleaf
Any Burton AK 3 Layer gortex pro jackets is all you need. There are some pants and jackets on sale for more then 30% off at backcountryoutlet.com. I picked up a 3 Layer hover jacket and hover pants and its kept me warm (layer with a softshell) and dry through the worst and hasn't failed me yet. I love the styling of Burtons AK line also because they are very functional jackets, come in so many colors and styles. A bit pricy though but anyone who really snowboards, knows how expensive the sport is.
I own the AK sqwawk 3l gore jacket from last year. I got it for over 60% off(470-->180) last february. It is as good as it gets, imo. Great minimal styling, no unneeded zippers and pockets. The thing is perfect.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Gore-tex > All Plain and simple, think about performance over "fashion" Too bad I'll be instructing this year so I'll have to wear their crappy used Spyder jackets :/​

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by specialblend
Once again, its not the money that concerns me and I know either way I'm getting quality gear. I AM NOT A NOVICE. This is purely a style question, nothing to do with quality or cost.

Then Holden ftw.

KBW

Reaction score
I live on Crested Butte from early december until the middle of january and am on the slopes 5-6 days a week and would not be caught dead in that bottom jacket. I'm 22 by the way and while my jacket is brightly colored (red) it does not look like a clown like that jacket does. That is awful no offense

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone else mentioned 686 stuff and the smarty line. This is what I wear and the removable linings are a great extra, but I'm speaking from 65 degree Spring temps were you can actually get pretty hot on the hill.

If you are still deciding on the gear, for what it is worth, I tried out slim(mer) fitting pants last year for a bit and I really didn't like them. I felt kinda constrained.

bsyde82

Reaction score
since snowboarding season is finally in full gear in tahoe, i think i'm cop some new gear...i've seen a lot of mention of holden on this thread, and I remember trying one on a few years back and thinking it was too big, even in a S. I'm about 5'8, fairly slim...are holden jackets still sized this large? I wanna get one online, but not sure if this brand fits me.

and is holden carried anywhere in the south bay?

aging in rhythm

Reaction score
I've seen some Holden in discount retailers (T.J. Maxx, Marshall's) for pretty reasonable prices. Right now I wear an Orage Masters jacket that I've been really happy with. Yes, they're a ski company, but they are obviously inspired by snowboarding steez.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since this thread has been resurrected, I want in.

First off, yeah, not the place I'd ask for style advice for riding. As we all know, the trend now is to be bright and ridiculous, and it works fine for the hill. Better to blend in. Where I ride (eastern BC, Alberta), most younger riders are in bright stuff, not just the super-good riders and the posers.

Second, I don't wear my pants below my butt, but I do wear fairly baggy. Why? Layering, obviously. It was -30 C last Saturday at Lake Louise, -38 C on the peak in the early morning. And I didn't feel the cold all day.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My jacket is 686 (and it somehow got ripped this past weekend, sucks) but the construction wasn't very noteworthy, frayed seams all over the place. Luckily I just wear my instructor's uniform now (OR gore-tex jacket/pants) so I don't need to shell out for a replacement

rents

Reaction score
IMO the holden super trim look is kind of, ummm, last year. Plus I think it looks pretty dumb having trim pants that have to flare out to go over your boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads