• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snoring

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I snore like a mother-f and it keeps my gf awake. Any suggestions? Those breathe-right strips do not work.

cheers,

bob

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well... there are ways and there are ways...

They have pillows, inhalers, pills, and strips (that don't work for you)... but do you sleep on your back? I've found that snoring isn't as loud (or disappears altogether) when you sleep on your side or your stomach. Can't figure out how to stay on your side? Sew a tennis ball onto the back of your PJ's right beween your shoulder blades. Don't wear PJ's? Get a tennis ball implanted under your skin in the same area. Either that or get rid of your GF and snore away.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. buy her jewlery

2. if you are over 30 and have a neck bigger than 16 inches or so, talk to your doctor. you just want to make sure that you don't have an apnea problem.

3. if you don't, buy her more jewlery and tell her to learn to live with it.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, I am over 30. And I wear a 17.5" collar. Maybe I should visit the doc. And try sleeping on my stomach--although I always heard that was bad for you for some reason. Plus, I"m not sure I can afford the kind of jewelry that makes up for my kind of snoring.
smile.gif
cheers, bob

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ahhh, I am over 30. Â And I wear a 17.5" collar. Â Maybe I should visit the doc. Â And try sleeping on my stomach--although I always heard that was bad for you for some reason. Plus, I"m not sure I can afford the kind of jewelry that makes up for my kind of snoring. Â
smile.gif
cheers, bob
I have a big neck too, and I snore, but I don't have apnea. it is worth checking, because it kills a lot of men (it is much less common for the girl friend or wife to kill you for snoring).

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I snore like a mother-f and it keeps my gf awake.  Any suggestions?  Those breathe-right strips do not work.

cheers,

bob
I have found that with my wife a pillow and a brick works very well, the key is not to leave it on the face too long, sometimes suffocation is involved.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I also snore - but I don't have a wife, so I could care less.

They say that dropiing some pounds helps (helps a lot of thing, actually). I've found that it's the worst when I drink a lot.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also snore - but I don't have a wife, so I could care less.

They say that dropiing some pounds helps (helps a lot of thing, actually).  I've found that it's the worst when I drink a lot.
Do you snore badly often?

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I snore as well but only when I sleep on my back. I naturally sleep on my side or stomach so my wife doesn't usually complain too much. I have also noticed, or rather my wife has
wink.gif
, that I snore a lot more when I drink a lot as well.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Do you snore badly often?
I really have no idea. Some women have mentioned it, some haven't.

Why do you ask? You think I might have the apnea?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are actually a couple of medical procedures you can have done that will reduce or eliminate snoring.  One involves application of an acid to the uvula (sp?) in the back of your mouth in order to harden it up so it doesn't flutter while you breath at night.  The other involves use of a laser to the uvula for the same purpose -- basically to harden up (via creation of scar tissue) of flesh.  Sounds nasty, but it can work.  Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) doctors do this.  Some do it enough that they advertise in the newspaper/magazines.
Apparently, in the old days, one procedure involved actually cutting out flesh in the back of one's throat.  Apparently that isn't done anymore though, as these new procedures are now favored.

Other than getting the procedure done (which is called snoreplasty or somnoplasty I think):  sleep on your side and lose weight and the two "solutions" I've heard.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can adenoids play a role in snoring? i sometimes suspect my breathing/snoring would improve with their removal, but i haven't discussed it with my doctor as it's not a big problem.

/andrew

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads