• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snooker anyone?

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was watching a highlight compilation recently of some of Ronnie O'Sullivan's 147 breaks. Obviously, his is not anything like your typical style of play even among professionals, but it got me thinking more about snooker. I've played my share of 8- and 9-ball, but have only tried my hand at snooker once. Asides from accessibility (snooker tables are not that easy to find), it was extremely challenging. Being as impatient as I am, I never went back.

Out of curiosity, are any forum members proficient in this game? How long have you been at it for?

(ps - for those who would much rather discuss the ladies professional circuit, feel free to post pics of Jeannette Lee)

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I love billiards (8 and 9 ball) but have never played snooker. It looks fun though.

danyllau

Reaction score
It's a disastrous game unless both players are at least reasonably proficient and can finish a game properly in around 20mins. After that it's pretty good to burn time.

PITAronin

Reaction score
I played a lot of snooker when I was at the University of Oklahoma and my roommate spent a lot of time taking me around to visit all sorts of small domino/snooker parlors in little towns where they weren't too fastidious about checking IDs. A great game in and of itself, as well as a great way to fine tune your skills when you later happen to play 8-ball or nine-ball on a regulation table or -even better - a bar table with a small side bet going.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I played it years ago when I lived in NYC. AAMOF, one of the places I played was Ames Billiards in midtown, where "The Hustler" with Newman and Gleason was shot ( not when I was there ). And there was a pretty famous Billiard Room on 14th St. near Luchows Restaurant which is probably long gone now.

Snooker tables were much more common in NYC than Houston, Tx. and I eventually gave the game up. To me snooker is much more of a finesse and a difficult game than pocket billiards, 8 ball. 9 ball. or even one pocket!

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
My grandpa got an afternoon of drinks hustling me at snooker.

I can't really remember a whole lot, I just remember I kept scratching because I'd accidentally sink a colored ball before a red one.

robbie

IrishDan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
(ps - for those who would much rather discuss the ladies professional circuit, feel free to post pics of Jeannette Lee)

on_the_road.jpg

110202968_6e573b2d8e.jpg

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Piece of work, ain't she? I was tempted to post some pics right out of the gate, but wanted to see if there was any interest in snooker first.
smile.gif

Aspire2style - I remember watching some guys play golf about 15 years ago (had to have it explained to me at the time) at an area pool hall. Apparently the owner lost his place during such a match!

Modernist

Reaction score
I've only tried it once. It just seemed extremely difficult. The point of the cue is too fine, the balls are small, the table is larger, the holes are smaller. Trying to hit a ball all the way across the table requires a scope, much less making it go anywhere near the hole. More power to those who can, I say.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Before I left England I used to play almost every week. The larger table and tighter pockets require a lot more finesse than 8 or 9 ball. Whoever mentioned patience is 100% right unless you do have the natural talent or O'Sullivan.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I played fairly regularly for about five years. You can pick up the game if you're persistent, and for me it was a much more satisfying game than 8- or 9-ball. If I could find tables and people who knew the game, I'd still be interested in playing.

Even if you never really get into it, your cueing will improve dramatically, making 8-ball and 9-ball seem absurdly easy in comparison.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGimpy
Even if you never really get into it, your cueing will improve dramatically, making 8-ball and 9-ball seem absurdly easy in comparison.

I used to play snooker once a week back in uni. After playing a few times, you will get used to the level of accuracy required to sink balls and set up the white for the next. Totally agree with the comment above. Haven't touched it snooker since, however, when I do play a game of pool, I do ok. Can't say the same if I were to have a stab at a game of snooker though.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I played a lot on college and law school ( because the table was always available). I like it but it is a long game and more difficult than pool ( harder to find other players)

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've wondered about it, but never got around to really learned the game. I'm pretty decent at 8- and 9-ball, and was even good some years ago with billiards. I'd be interested in playing now if I could find someone willing to show me the ropes. And yeah, I'd hit it.
jeanette07.jpg

remo72tg

Reaction score
I use to play Snooker but haven't payed in a while. It's hard to find someone to play snooker with but I really feel like just practicing on my own, just have to find a place in NYC or Long Island with a full size Snooker table.
If anyone knows any places in NYC or surroundings areas with Snooker table please let me know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads