• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobby salespeople in high-end stores.

marc37

Reaction score
Has anyone had an experience where they have had to deal with a horrible snobby salesperson? What did you do? Did you let them, treat you like dirt? How do you handle snobby salespeople? (l will let you know about a couple of my experiences soon). Regards: shooman, Ronny, marc au, gr8man b8man, master b8's or marc37.
sadlike.gif

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In bespoke establishments, I find floor people are invariably polite. If they err, it's usually on the side of being overly ingratiating. The craftsmen themselves may be polite or downright rude, but never snobby.

Any snobbiness I've experienced was in places like the Polo stores in a couple of cities. But, as you know, snobbiness is often a screen for insecurity.

Why else would would someone decide s/he has become a higher form of being because s/he earns $13 an hour at Gucci?

ballines

Reaction score
I've encountered a number of extremely snobby salespeople. I get some of this treatment surely because I'm young and usually not dressed in the types of fashions they're selling (shopping in jeans and a t-shirt at high-end establishments).

For the record, people at Saks and Neiman Marcus were very easy to deal with. Some at Polo were very unpleasant, until they realized I really was going to buy the PL shoes that were on sale.

In other stores, I've found that if I ask a couple tough questions about suit/shoe construction, they become more pleasant, since they realize that I am willing to purchase high-end items.

FzyLgic

Reaction score
I've only encountered a very few cases of downright snobbery. In those cases, I've discretely asked another employee to inform the Manager or Owner that I'd like to speak with him/her. I've then politely suggested that he/she have a discussion with the employee in question about alienating customers. I've found this to be very successful - though I have, on one occassion, been treated badly by the Owner of a local establishment during one such conversation. I proceeded to take my custom elsewhere, returning later with my purchases and visually underscored my ability to purchase the items on offer in the store and indeed, pay a slightly higher price to be treated well. I then state my intention never to bring my custom to that establishment in future and to share my experiece with as many friends and asscoiates as possible. I must confess to being inspired by Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman" and her handling of a comparable situation. Most effective - especially if you remain absolutely calm .

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The salespeople here in Korea are polite to a fault. I'd be glad to let them leave me alone. On one occasion I've been told to stop examining shoes and belts on account of my finger oils damaging the goods on display. I thought that was a reasonable request of them (it never happened to me before, so I dunno.)

Classic

Reaction score
I do not know why, but every time I visit an Armani store, I get the worst possible service. Whether I am being served by a "kid" who knows nothing, or by a "seasoned professional", their attitude and "holier than thou" tone is primary. It is as if they are trained to treat their customers badly.
Regardless of whether I am dressed in a business suit, or in shorts and t-shirt, the service has always been terrible.
Particular mention goes to the staff at the Outlet Store in Orlando, who displayed superstar levels of arrogance.

Classic

marc37

Reaction score
I do not know why, but every time I visit an Armani store, I get the worst possible service. Whether I am being served by a "kid" who knows nothing, or by a "seasoned professional", their attitude and "holier than thou" tone is primary. It is as if they are trained to treat their customers badly.
Regardless of whether I am dressed in a business suit, or in shorts and t-shirt, the service has always been terrible.
Particular mention goes to the staff at the Outlet Store in Orlando, who displayed superstar levels of arrogance.

Classic
Armani: tell me about it. l have had nothing but rude service from people (young kids and the boss) at Armani.

ln one Armani store (in a dept store mind you), l am always ignored [no matter what l wear, Armani or not]. They always have dumb looking kids that just smile at you and don't want to help.

At the other Armani store/boutique, there is the owner who is very snobby. Eventhough l sometimes go in there wearing Georgio Armani, he always states: do you know this costs $**** and other such non-sense. These days l just tell him how ordinary his suits are and why they are so ordinary and state 10 reasons why l would prefer to shop at Borrelli. l also tell him that the reason he looks so stressed and miserable is because he doesn't sell enough Armani: l also tell him that he doesn't sell enough Armani because he has a bad attitude and that l tell everyone possible to avoid him because of his attitude. Needless to say., this idiot hates my guts. l speak to the guy like he is a little kid.

The people at Farragamo are idiots too. They don't know anything. They smile at you [with there stupid looking faces] as if to say: can you afford this because l certainly can't.
l tried on a top pair of Farragamo boots ($1,250) once and l had this dopey looking sales person with a stupid look on his face: l would have bought the boots but l didn't like the person. Anyway: the boots l were wearing were much better than the $1,250 Farragamos.

At Gucci the salespeople follow you around like a dog. They must think you are going to either steal or wreck something. When you are checking out the clothing, they stand right behind you [even if you are very well dressed]. Talk about the height of rudeness. l am convinced that these people cannot relate to high end shopping: maybe the average shopper would steal something but not the average high end shopper. These sh*tkicker salespeople can only relate to their own experiences.

MISS LOUISE
The worst shopping experience ever. The shop owner is one of the meanest people around. lt was a rainy Saturday morning and l decided to buy some Jimmi Choos for my girl. l was dressed very ordinary in one of the snobbiest shops around. l was trying to check out the shoes: during the 15 minutes l was asked [rudely and abruptly] around 20 times- can l help you sir? (This shop is the size of a master bedroom). l was also rudely told to stop handling the shoes on [around] 15 occasions. (The sales girls were just in shock at how calm l was for such extreme rudeness). l then proceded to ask the owner about the construction and that l didn't think she offered a quality product for the prices. She was furious and started to shake. l then left. Funny enough: after spending $1,000 else where, l seen her walking along the street after locking up the shop in the arvo: l made out l slipped and knocked her face first into the wet gutter and she ended up tearing her expensive designer clothing. l smiled and told her to watch where she was going. (This women is so mean and up herself that she has a reputation for snubbing everyone but the rich and famous: she loves Kylie Minogue. She is even above free media publicity).  

ADVICE
lf anyone asks "can l help you" more than twice tell them hard and abruptly: You have asked me that question twice now, l have have told you, if l need your help l will ask.
Always keep the upper hand. Be friendly but firm. Be an arrogant nightmare to snobs.

Classic

Reaction score
On the postive side, I have yet to receive anything but excellent service, regardless of how I am dressed, at Barney's, Holt's and Harry Rosen (the latter two being high end stores in Canada).
Even when I make it quite clear that I am "just looking", the sales staff at these stores have always taken the time to discuss any issues and answer any questions I posed regarding the merchandise.
Perhaps that is what draws me to these stores most often than not.

Classic

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MISS LOUISE
The worst shopping experience ever. The shop owner is one of the meanest people around. lt was a rainy Saturday morning and l decided to buy some Jimmi Choos for my girl. l was dressed very ordinary in one of the snobbiest shops around. l was trying to check out the shoes: during the 15 minutes l was asked [rudely and abruptly] around 20 times- can l help you sir? (This shop is the size of a master bedroom). l was also rudely told to stop handling the shoes on [around] 15 occasions. (The sales girls were just in shock at how calm l was for such extreme rudeness). l then proceded to ask the owner about the construction and that l didn't think she offered a quality product for the prices. She was furious and started to shake. l then left.

Funny enough: after spending $1,000 else where, l seen her walking along the street after locking up the shop in the arvo: l made out l slipped and knocked her face first into the wet gutter and tore her designer clothing. l smiled and told her to watch where she was going.
Oh, wow. You knocked down a woman just because she was mean to you. What a big man. It is amazing the arrogance of some folk. If you find her "mean" - do not patronize her store, but do not engage in assault.

kalra2411

Reaction score
(marc37 @ 01 July 2004, 3:07) MISS LOUISE The worst shopping experience ever. The shop owner is one of the meanest people around. lt was a rainy Saturday morning and l decided to buy some Jimmi Choos for my girl. l was dressed very ordinary in one of the snobbiest shops around. l was trying to check out the shoes: during the 15 minutes l was asked [rudely and abruptly] around 20 times- can l help you sir? (This shop is the size of a master bedroom). l was also rudely told to stop handling the shoes on [around] 15 occasions. (The sales girls were just in shock at how calm l was for such extreme rudeness). l then proceded to ask the owner about the construction and that l didn't think she offered a quality product for the prices. She was furious and started to shake. l then left. Funny enough: after spending $1,000 else where, l seen her walking along the street after locking up the shop in the arvo: l made out l slipped and knocked her face first into the wet gutter and tore her designer clothing. l smiled and told her to watch where she was going.
Oh, wow. Â You knocked down a woman just because she was mean to you. Â What a big man. Â It is amazing the arrogance of some folk. Â If you find her "mean" - do not patronize her store, but do not engage in assault.
Yes, that is quite extreme...
wink.gif

marc37

Reaction score
How are people supposed to learn what is acceptable and what's not if we don't let them know? lf people aren't pulled up for there mistakes or shown consequences for their actions, they will continue to be unpleasant scumbags. We have an obligation to teach others what is acceptable. Animals in the wild punish younger cubs etc when they are out of line. lt is the same here. The lady was the poor dumb animal and l was her teacher.
smile.gif

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are people supposed to learn what is acceptable and what's not if we don't let them know? lf people aren't pulled up for there mistakes or shown consequences for their actions, they will continue to be unpleasant scumbags. We have an obligation to teach others what is acceptable. Animals in the wild punish younger cubs etc when they are out of line. lt is the same here. The lady was the poor dumb animal and l was her teacher.
smile.gif
I am appalled at the thought that you just might be serious. I am almost as appalled that you are not serious, but thought that it would be amusing to post a story describing how you assaulted a woman to this forum. Either way, you, sir, are no gentleman.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Before I even begin, you should know that I'm 21 and have been purchasing at the higher-end of the spectrum (sartorially at least) for about 4 years.

That being said, I think the combination of foundation-less snob / clueless / inept / incompetent / uninformed / and all around useless that I have encountered in the last 4 years must be some kind of record. Now, I understand because of my age I may be taken in less than a serious manner, but still there are levels of civility that should never be breached. I can't recall every time I have been mistreated, nor do I care to try so let's stick to a few wonderful highlights:

At SAKS in Boca Raton's Town Center Mall, I was looking for a new dress shirt, and I asked a saleswoman what color she recommended (I though, perhaps there is something new this season I have not seen) and she said "royal blue" (how original). I stated that royal blue was a color I already had and maybe there was another less common color that might strike me. For no reason whatsoever she started to tell me, in a spastic, snobbish tone, that she dressed half of Boca Raton, and that she was the best salesperson on the floor. I, with a very serious expression on my face nodded with an expression of "˜Okay', realized that this was not worth my trouble, spun 180 degrees and headed towards the mall post haste. It took me almost 3 years to go back to that SAKS; I purchased something when I went back, that day being last Saturday (the salesman was quite helpful).

Louis, Boston two years ago, around the middle of November. I was unable to get attention from any salesperson, period. After I got the partial attention of a sales person and I asked a question regarding Oxxford's bespoke service, I was told halfheartedly to "hold on" and he left and did not return. I felt like I was being snubbed because of my age. Luckily the new RL store on Newbury had very helpful and courteous sales people and I spent a good $1500.

Turnbull & Asser, on the phone last November to December. I wanted to know if they could make MTM shirts with either a copy of the cutaway collar they used for the RLPL shirts (when they made them) or, a shark-fin collar. Seeing as I am in Florida, I can't just run up to the store in NYC to talk to them, so the phone / email is my only form of communicating with T&A. Now, they have my measurements on file (from the many times I ordered MTM from NM), so ordering more shirts was a simple matter of getting fabric samples and just looking at pictures of their shark-fin collar. Fabric samples took about 7 phone calls to get, not to mention over a month of time. After over half a month after that of trying to get them to email one single picture of their shark-fin collar, I gave up and ordered some more RTW shirts from H&K. The tone of the emails and the phone conversations were less than pleasant.

Now, for all the bad experiences I have had, I have receive excellent service in some stores and have become a regular client. Interestingly enough, I have never received bad service in any store on Worth Ave, regardless of how I was dressed or if it was season or not.

Jon.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif
Well... There you have it. As animals in the wild teach cubs so to you, an animal have taught this "cub"... Quite luckily for her (life) she only was rude to you. I shudder to think what would have been had she crossed the line and actively insulted you. JJF

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics