• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobby NYC Stores

5thave

Reaction score
So I've been to Bergdorf Goodman many times and I'm starting to see a pattern. The guy in the Charvet section (no matter who he is) is always rude to me. The people in Kiton are nicer. I'm 23 so I'm used to getting eye rolls when I enter nice haberdasheries. But service people from certain lines always seem to share a common approach, even in a non-flagship store (where there is more than one brand in the store) like bergdorf. Is this attitude taught specifically?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One guy in a store, especially one as large as Bergdorf, shouldn't put you off. Everyone I've ever worked with in Bergdorf has been very helpful and nice, even when I wasn't buying. At those prices, they can't afford to be rude. You never know who you are dealing with.

lisapop

Reaction score
The older man with the mustache and the tall, skinny blond-haired guy usually in the Charvet shop are actually very nice, unless you had experiences with temporary replacements. They always give me advanced tips on upcoming sales and have even held sales items for me when I couldn't make it into the store. Always very friendly and helpful. But, there are others who, unlike myself, have pleasant treatment at the Peter Elliot store, so how about I buy for you at BG and you buy for me at PE?
Grayson

StevenRocks

Reaction score
I've been to Bergdorf Goodman several times and I've been treated resonably well by the salespeople, though admittedly the most recent trips there have been less friendly than the earlier ones.  The Kiton people are always nicer than the Charvet people, so I can understand where you're coming from on that.

I think that a certain amount of attitude comes from people who work at these stores that are, for the most part, just learning these brands and price points.  They feel like their noses should as high as the prices because thay don't know any better.  Many of them never grow out of it.  

I find that it's better to avoid people like that in a store if you can, and try to find the friendliest sales associate, even if they don't work in the department you need.  Most salespeople can sell all over the store, and being showed up by another salesperson who gives a darn about their customer will force them to act better.  It also makes for a more pleasant shopping experience overall for you.

lisapop

Reaction score
Last year, when I was looking for a specific kind of shearling coat, I finally found it at BG, but knew their sale would be happening soon. When the sale went into effect, I'd go over every few days to see if the coat had gone on sale, with no luck. This went on for the several-week duration of the sale, to no avail. I finally asked a salesperson about the likelihood of that shearling going on sale and I'll be darned if he said it was one of the very few items not going on sale. I gave him my name and number and asked him to contact me if it went on sale. Few weeks later, nearly after the sale had run its course, the son of a gun called me with the great news that the coat was on sale at 50% off. I ran right over and he told me that he even saved the coat for me that was in pristine condition (The others in my size were somewhat "ratty") So, I love BGs almost as much as BJs
smile.gif
Grayson

Pink22m

Reaction score
So, I love BGs almost as much as BJs
BG and **; I don't understand what these acronyms mean. Sorry, couldn't resist.
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(lisapop @ April 04 2005,18:51) So, I love BGs almost as much as BJs
smile.gif
Grayson
I'm just going to pretend I didn't read that. koji
Well, the trick is to get a ** at BG (women's store of course, from one of the young ladies that tends the counters). Jon. (OMG I said young ladies and I'm only 22...I need a good slap)

Phil

Reaction score
Dont forget about Jay Kos, the king of snobby NYC stores. Its annoying because I generally like the merchandise, but just get so put off by the environment. Last time I was in there I was treated to a good 5 minute disertation as to why my MTM Isaia suit was completely inferior and ill fitting compared to his models. I humored the man (who is the owner) by sliding on what he swore was my size (42 R) and listened to him then tell me how well it fit. It was especially funny since the jacket fit me so poorly I could have found a better fitting one at the Mens Warehouse. I gently tried telling him that the sleeves were at least 3 inches too short (I have a 37" sleevelength) and that the length of the coat barely made it past my belt buckle. No matter, according to him, he would fit me for his MTM program. This delightful exchange ended in him asking about my shoes, which were my favorites (EG Warwicks, acorn antique) and that I should stop back in to get a pair of EG Galways. He told me he had to call ITALY to talk to Edward Green to see when his shipment was arriving. I had no idea why he would be calling Italy to get EG's, but I pretty much had enough by this point.

That was about 2 years ago. Since then I basically regard salespeople the same way I do at fast food restaurants. I politly ask them to get me what I would like, then please leave me alone, and then if I chose to buy something, please ring it up. That isnt to say I am rude, far from it. Sir and Maam always. I just dont let them offer a bit of advice about anything, its just too frustrating. Anyone who works on commission truly has no motivation to do anything other than get a quick sale. Its too bad, because the good ones are so few and far between. They are all so shortsighted, since hardly any of them realize that turning down the quick sale in exchange for some meaningful advice could lead to a long term sales relationship.

When I was 24 and knew alot less about clothes than I do now I went into the RL mansion to buy a few suits. I really loved a navy flannel single breasted peak lapel model. It was georgeous. I had never seen a peak lapel single breasted before and loved the thing. The only problem was they only had a 42 L, not the 40 L I needed. Regardless, the man helping me swore it fit and wanted me to buy it. He was a terrible salesman, totally uninterested in really helping a young guy. I didnt know much, but I knew that suit was way too big on me. I left, frustrated, but left my phone number behind at his request. A few days later a pleasant young lady called and said she had overheard the conversation and called some other stores for me and found my size. I went back in, she helped me out, and we have been friends since. In fact, since that day, I have bought 2 MTM suits from her each spring and fall (thats about 15 suits). The best part about it is the other guy still works there, and shoots me a nasty look whenever I am in there. I wish there were more salespeople like her. Instead, they all think its better to cram you into whatever they need to sell at the moment and be done with it. Then, as the title of the thread indicates, most feel the need to do this in the most condescending way possible.

arvi

Reaction score
 ....I basically regard salespeople the same way I do at fast food restaurants.  I politly ask them to get me what I would like, then please leave me alone, and then if I chose to buy something, please ring it up.  That isnt to say I am rude, far from it.  
couldn't agree more..i'm very secure in my tastes and don't need saleperson help other than to find size and ring up sale..especially annoying are those that try to tell you how special something is or as one at peter elliott did, tell me that each item i looked at at "was made in italy"..

lisapop

Reaction score
At the Kiton bespoke department at BG, the manager was waxing poetic about the super 180 cloth he was recommending I try. When I mentioned it's way too soft and way too light for my tastes, making it conducive to wrinkling and crumpling, his reply was that that never happens with a Kiton garment because of the special way it's constructed. I commend him for keeping a perfectly straight face while saying so, although I demurred at his suggestion to try a $10,000 custom suit. Talk about trying to pull the super 180 wool over my eyes.
Grayson

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't listen to salespeople at the candy store. Why would I at the clothing store?

Talk to the hand, salesboy.

lisapop

Reaction score
Talk to the hand, salesboy.

You mean "style consultant".
Grayson

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, yes. My bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads