Sneakers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fuuma, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wore ... black Vans exclusively from 1st grade to till freshman year of college.

-----

Me too, only mine were Light Blue or Navy. I'm from OC.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

So am I.

3. AJL

AJL Senior member

I like them, too. Q's: How much; how's the fit; are they comfortable/supportive (I've got low arches)?

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Hey AJL,

I think you can try them on at Alan Bilzerian.

Cheers.

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

i like thin-soled trainers

my faves that i wear:

Adidas Japan, Chile 62, Italia, Rio Grande and Antelope

Puma Kugel

and my fave are from UK called White & Co. 1890 which have a thin crepe sole and are styled after a bowling shoe

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Yep, very cool shoes Jon. I really like the wedge-shape of the Y-3. It's pretty sleek for a skatery shoe. My favorite are the patent leather ones. I think they are called sleekstar, or something equally Japanese.

7. LA Guy

On a side note, a Japanese postdoc in my group (who wears Comme nearly exclusively) tells me that Y-3 stuff is more expensive in Japan than here because it is not manufactured in Japan. Strike anyone else as strange?

8. big balla

big balla Active Member

nike dunks
    adidas stan smiths
    air jordan III and XI

I only wear Nikes, Adidas, and New Balance. I dislike everything else andthat includes the ever so popular chuck taylors. Sorry guys.

9. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Converse have yet to let me down. Plus, I know a lovely young lady who works in the outlet, so... Favorites: Chuck Taylors; black, purple, black and white houndstooth, cream, all black with flames down the sides... Leather trainers; in brown/cream leather, as well as the Converse 'Cliff' in 'brown sugar' (dark tan). MT Star; (with the star-shaped tread on the soles) in white pebblegrain leather, one pair with bright red suede accents, one with royal blue suede. Targa; one pair in green, white and off-white. One pair of Adidas Rekord in brown leather with cream stripes. Assorted no-name brands, and a pair of Dunlop Volley slip-ons in a brown-and-blue argyle print. [​IMG] Still need: Chucks in navy, Celtic green, some Vans slip-ons, a pair of Mexico 66 once I find a color combination I like...

10. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Sorry to drift here, but I've an odd problem with sneakers: when I wear Nike, any Nike, my feet take on the aroma of dead, rotting something-or-another. It's frightening that my body could produce such a horrible odor.

Any other brand is odor-free.

Anyone else confident enough to talk about odiferous phalanges?

11. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

And while we're on sneakers, does anyone know who makes the sneakers you can see in the Nudie Jeans booklet/website? These ones here, specifically the two pairs on the right, the checkerboard models in black/red and black/white: [​IMG]

12. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

Not surprising. Nikes are poorly fabricated. They use some (highly toxic) PVC-based glue which supposedly inhibits "breathability", or something like that. I was told this by a guy who hates the company for its worker policies, so take that as you will. Personally, I prefer Asics, they make good running shoes. My Nikes used to fall apart too quickly, and I got sick of paying $100 for a shoe that I felt was inferior when put to the test. Asics have held up much better for me. I generally jogged about 3-4 miles a day, and found that Nikes would fall apart after about 4 or 5 months of this. My Asics have always been able to survive about a year's worth of wear in similar conditions, and my feet don't sweat as much (thereby reducing the level of odor in the shoe). I also found that a quick dip in rubbing alcohol or gasoline would remove the odor, but it also tends to dramatically decrease the lifespan of your shoe. Oh, and your body doesn't produce the odor - it is produced by bacteria that are processing the sweat absorbed by the shoe.

13. seanandnik

seanandnik Senior member

I was at Louis' a few months ago and found a line named Medium. They are lightweight and very comfortrable also cool and different looking, I think Zapoo's has them also. Bluefly has a bunch of them on clearance right now.

14. LA Guy

Nike's are horrible for smells. Worse than *any* other brand. I wear them despite this.

Medium - have a pair - not my favorites, but okay. Out of Santa Barbara. Laid back. Good for knocking back in. Not really "cool" in the way Adidas kicks are. Good construction. Incidentally, they are also available at Berks (in Cambridge) for less than at Louis.

15. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Look like Vans, IIRC. I used to see those in the skate magazines, back when I was a wannabe skater.