1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sneakers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scnupe7, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Kai

Kai Senior member

(Kai @ 30 Nov. 2004, 11:45)
    I need a new pair of sneakers. Â Something that I can wear with jeans. Â I have been thinking about the Puma Speecats. Â What do you guys think?
    I like speedcats. Â I saw some really nice brown on brown speedcats at Nordstrom last week. I am also quite partial to Oakley 1320 sneakers. Â They are very comfortable, good to drive in and also good for walking. I have a pair in blue, and am considering some in black as well. [​IMG] http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/...leyShoes03.asp
    These look kinda cool--is the sizing fairly accurate? How's the arch support?
    Arch support is ok. Sizing is about average, but they fit a bit narrow. Adjusting the lacing allows you to alter the feel of the width pretty well, however. Probably my favorite pair of sneakers for driving and just kicking around.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Gimme a break.

A guy without a single pair of sneakers in his wardrobe to be worn with jeans, if just for kicking around on the weekends = uptight twat.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Jeans = boots. Sneakers = Athletic wear. Jeans + sneakers = populous.
    Gimme a break. A guy without a single pair of sneakers in his wardrobe to be worn with jeans, if just for kicking around on the weekends = uptight twat.
    Uptight twat, I could not have said it better. Jon.

4. AJL

AJL Senior member

Jeans = boots. Sneakers = Athletic wear. Jeans + sneakers = populous.
    Gimme a break. Â A guy without a single pair of sneakers in his wardrobe to be worn with jeans, if just for kicking around on the weekends = uptight twat.
    LA G--I like your style [​IMG]

5. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

i like my Puma Anjans.

-Jeff

6. dFFm

dFFm New Member

hi guys..... take the new puma uke in white. if you want puma uke link or if you´ll need gentlemen´s sneaker´s choose the ones of GUCCI link

7. acole

acole Senior member

That would be interesting, wouldn't it? [​IMG] Â I don't frequent gyms. Â For dry days there's a great running trail in the hills; for nasty days there's a Nordic Track in my closet. Â For those activities I wear exactly what you'd expect: running shoes (Saucony Jazz, currently) and exercise shorts or sweats. Â Since scnupe7 was asking which sneakers to wear with jeans, I didn't think this was especially relevant.
    You know, I wear flip-flops in the shower, but I don't post here asking for style critiques, because no-one sees them. Â I do wear old running shoes with jeans to kick around at home w/ my wife, or clean the kitchen, do laundry, work on the cars, etc. Â But if I'm hiking or knocking about out in the country, it's Vasque leather boots; and when I go out around town wearing jeans, I go with monks, chukkas, or some Bass suede lace-ups. Â "Fashionable sneakers" is an oxymoron to me, because I would never wear sneakers in any situation where I'm concerned about being fashionable. Â It's OK by me if the rest of the world merrily disagrees with me on this; I'll manage to survive the humiliation somehow. [​IMG]

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Completely disagree with you in everything else, but I do agree that the Vasque Sundowner is by far the best non-technical hiking boot there is. If you need real mountaineering gear, that's something else altogether.

9. ken

ken Senior member

Isn't the Jazz model Saucony's casual shoe? and therefore a sneaker?

10. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

No offense to anyone who owns/likes these, but DAMN those Gucci's are repulsive looking. (barf) Who approves designs like this?.?.?.? Seriously.

11. acole

acole Senior member

Running shoes, sneakers, whatever, it's all the same to me...

12. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

No offense, acole, I dig Jazz, but running in them? My feet and calfs (calves?) hurt just thinking.

Update on those Varvatos cons I got. They're pretty sweet. One detail I like: left heel says "All", right heel says "Star."
    One detail I don't: the brown mesh has a flashy gold second layer. It's unobtrusive, but when I notice it, I'm not sure I like it. Guess I should've taken heed of the "Mesh detailing with a metallic finish" part of the desc.

I wore em out last night and they shall be the starting pair in the after work rotation.

13. acole

acole Senior member

They're Saucony Grid Jazz 8s, actually, but this particular pair is shot--I've pounded the midsoles into oblivion and they now feel like wooden clogs. Â It's actually my shins that hurt. Â I could tell they were really toast yesterday when I had occasion to run a short way in the Dino Certo monks I got from Lance (great shoes.); those actually felt better. Â The original attraction of the Grid Jazz was the $35 price tag;Â I'm headed off to The Runner's High this week to pick up something more suited to me. When I first started running I went 2.5 years wearing an already-old pair of Asics gel crosstrainers, which I also used for mountain biking. Â When I finally went to the running store for a replacement, it was because the soles had worn down into the midsole, and because one of them had completely detached from the shoe except at the toebox. Â The look on the salesgirl's face was absolutely priceless. [​IMG]

14. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

(LA Guy @ 01 Dec. 2004, 11:57) Quote Jeans = boots. Sneakers = Athletic wear. Jeans + sneakers = populous.
    Gimme a break. Â A guy without a single pair of sneakers in his wardrobe to be worn with jeans, if just for kicking around on the weekends = uptight twat.
    Uptight twat, I could not have said it better. Jon.[/quote] What is so uptight about not wanting to wear sneakers with jeans, I don't, and I am far from uptight, sneakers are made for shorts or mowing the lawn when not working out.

15. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

acole, I wasn't thinking. I had these in mind, and was baffled by your hardiness, to run in them. I guess there was a time when these were top-of-the-line, though...

16. acole

acole Senior member

Now, those are some originals. Â We sure have come a long way in the technology of athletic wear...can you imagine wearing a sports jacket for actual sports? Â I certainly don't look for extra privation in running or walking--these days I get the most cushioned shoe I can find. Â I don't know why I ran in that same pair of Asics for so long, but it wasn't hardiness...more like foolhardiness.

17. benchan

benchan Senior member

[​IMG] I like the above, albeit in a different colour scheme. Adidas Samba and Rod Laver, Nike AirForce/Dunk and Jordan(low top) and New balance UK leather edition are good choices also. New balance 580 jap edition are considered to be a very fashionable sneakers in Asia, but they are not my style though. I don't need to have a rollbar in the heel when my feet do not pronate much.

18. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

Now that we all know what the signs are for a quality, long lasting dress shoe, how do you know if the sneaker is going to be any good? Or, do you only focus on the aesthetics of the sneaker?

19. benchan

benchan Senior member

Esquire:

Well, there are quite a few  review sites out there for different types of sneakers. The one I miss most is kicksology.net. Really indepth review.

If you were talking about the quality of materials used, then I guess the leather of Nike Premium and HTM series, New balance UK series are acceptable. Then there is that Foamposite material developed by Nike that can conform to the shape of your feet and provide a good lock down feel.  However, don't be surprised that many sneakers use glue to hold different pieces of the shoes together, you won't find any Goodyear Welt construction being used.

One last thing, the quality of sneakers have slipped. You may wish to note that back in 1986/1987, the Nike Air Jordan II was produced by Bally in Italy.