Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sneakers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scnupe7, Oct 13, 2004.

1. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I need a new pair of sneakers. Something that I can wear with jeans. I have been thinking about the Puma Speecats. What do you guys think?

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I bumped you the recent 'top five sneakers' post. There's some good info in there.

So much activity lately that a discussion from a few days ago was on page five...

3. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Highly recommended. I love mine.

4. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

J: (and/or Steve B) - an idea to possibly reduce the amount of redundant threads...

you can add a tiny bit of code to the 'post new thread' page, wherein there is some text onscreen that asks 'Have You Searched?' placed adjacent to a checkbox. the poster is required to check the box before they are allowed to post their new thread, otherwise when they hit the 'post' button, an error message pops up.

it's simple and of course relies on the honor system (we're all honorable here though, right), but many times all that will be required to prevent a hastily (lazily?) posted query is that gentle reminder to search the site first.

free advice, worth every penny.

/andrew

5. j

Perhaps you can do that, but I cannot. I don't know how, and I'm not really interested in figuring it out. It's a good idea, but we don't really get enough redundant threads for me to care. Plus, every time the same question comes up we get a different discussion about it. It's not the type of forum where there's a set answer to the same godawful question that comes up every day. I'm sure anyone who's tired of reading the FAQs can just skip over them until they start to generate discussion, and then check them out. That's usually what I do.

6. VMan

VMan Senior member

I don't mind the repeated discussions, either. We usually get different responses each time. Say someone posts a few months ago about what sneakers to purchase, then starts a new topic today - a new model might have come along which was not available before, and adds to the discussion.

Plus we usually have some interesting/funny side discussion as well.

The questions aren't bad either. It's not as if we get asked:

"DuDes, like what sock color should I wear wit my khaki Dockers pants and ToTTaly kewl black Kenneth Cole shoes?.?.?..1111"

several times a week.

7. j

Back on topic, I bought some Speedcats today in black suede with white leather to replace the failing kangaroo Puma soccer shoes that I have beat the hell out of for a couple of years.

I like driving in them, but walking will take some getting used to. (Not to mention chewing gum at the same time). For anyone who's wondering what the hell I'm talking about, they have the most minimal sole I've ever seen on a street shoe that I considered wearable. "Heel-and-toe" (actually ball-and-edge-of-foot) maneuvres will take some relearning as well, as they are very narrow.

I'm not sure if I will keep them but most signs point to yes. They make my jeans look horrible, or maybe I should say that they emphasize the horribleness of my jeans. They are so small that my jeans with what I thought was a reasonable boot cut look like bell bottoms and are also too long without the larger sole of most shoes.

Probably means more that I should get some better jeans than that I should return them.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Your jeans are probably fine. But the Speedcats only look reasonable with narrow, pencil leg jeans. I like either a boot cut or looser jean, and so have to stay away from sneakers based on driving shoes, which frankly, paired with my jeans, look more like ballet slippers than anything else. As a compromise, you might consider Asics Mexico 66's, which are slim, but not nearly as slim as the Speedcats, or the Puma Sprint, which is based on a biking shoe rather than a driving shoe, and is slim, but not super slim.

9. j

I might check out the Sprint, thanks. It's probably closer to what I'm looking for, although a bit more boring. I didn't even wear the Speedcats today because they seem too delicate for work where I might be walking around in dirt, etc.

The Sprints look a lot like the kangaroo Puma Kings I've had for a while, and I probably would have bought them if they were available back then.

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Just off the top of my head, traditional:

Adidas Y-3 Field IV in brown suede
    Adidas "˜Jeans' in Brown Suede

(see a pattern forming?)

Puma Azur in several colors in leather / suede

Sleeker: Puma Speed Cat / Rennkatze, Puma Mostro

Jon.

11. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I was one of the kids asking for sneaker ideas, and despite advice to avoid the newer incarnations of the Converse/Varvatos collaboration (which is, even in my opinion, really reaching these days) I couldn't resist these, from ebay: [​IMG] I'm excited. We'll see how they look in person. I hope like [​IMG] Also, was in the Georgetown Adidas store last week, some really cool kicks in there.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

No more Puma Mostros and Speedcats. They are the most overdone things in sneakers at this point. The driving shoe thing is mysterious to me. Why do guys want to go around looking like they are wearing overgrown ballet slippers? No no and no. If you need a sleek sneaker, go with the Sprint. Anything "sleeker" than that is just not on.

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I do like the Speedcats quite a bit, I've been wearing my Prada America's Cup, Speedcats, and Diesel Vikings (I know, but they are comfortable) when I wear sneakers. Not a big fan of Mostros.

14. Kai

Kai Senior member

I like speedcats. Â I saw some really nice brown on brown speedcats at Nordstrom last week. I am also quite partial to Oakley 1320 sneakers. Â They are very comfortable, good to drive in and also good for walking. I have a pair in blue, and am considering some in black as well. [​IMG] http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/...leyShoes03.asp

15. AJL

AJL Senior member

(scnupe7 @ 13 Oct. 2004, 8:03) I need a new pair of sneakers. Â Something that I can wear with jeans. Â I have been thinking about the Puma Speecats. Â What do you guys think?
    I like speedcats. Â I saw some really nice brown on brown speedcats at Nordstrom last week. I am also quite partial to Oakley 1320 sneakers. Â They are very comfortable, good to drive in and also good for walking. I have a pair in blue, and am considering some in black as well. [​IMG] http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/...leyShoes03.asp
    These look kinda cool--is the sizing fairly accurate? How's the arch support?