1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sneakers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by @riss, Oct 4, 2004.

1. @riss

@riss Senior Member

i saw that LA Guy mentioned in another thread that he was trying to get into Sanctuary in Boston with a pair of limited edition sneaks. i'm a sneaker fanatic and was wondering if perhaps there were some others out there.

LA Guy, your anecdote reminds me of a time that my friend and i were trying to get into the W Hotel in downtown San Diego and were refused entry because we had on limited edition nike dunks instead of the requisite steve madden sneaker/shoe thing. however, in your situation reason prevailed and you got in, whereas we did not. hmmm...this should lead to a post in the "most odious outfit" thread... anyway, to any sneaker fans out there, here is a tentative top 5:

nike dunk hi
    adidas stan smith (velcro)
    converse all-star (white)
    air jordan 3
    vans slip-on (checked, all white, or navy)
    nike vandal supreme

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

You got refused entrance because of your shoes? (That's probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever read)

I can understand if you are dressed like Pierce Brosnan in Die Another Day when he waltzes into the hotel in Hong Kong wearing a hospital robe drenched in seawater, while walking barefoot, but other than that, refusal of entrance is ridiculous. I've walked into hotels wearing things that are less than cordial as to the "˜status' of the hotel, yet not a single word was uttered.

Jon.

3. @riss

@riss Senior Member

got refused to the rooftop bar, not to the actual hotel. there was a line and a dress code. no sneakers. but our whole point was that all sneakers are not created equal. i personally believe that one can be wearing sneakers per se and still be far better dressed than someone wearing "shoes". its a case-by-case thing.

4. @riss

@riss Senior Member

to add to that last post, it was all the funnier to my friend and i because we had recently been in hotel costes in paris, which is a far more "selective" spot, wearing jeans and sneaks. i think its ridiculous to have blanket door policies, unless the dress code is straight up formal wear, as it is at the ritz-carlton around the corner from costes. my point is that sneakers can be worn in chic ways.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

My Top 10 (five is hardly enough) in no particular order.

1. Nike Laser Cortez - the Tom Luedecke design - sweet
    2. Adidas Samoa - I like the Red stripes on white with the black bumper - perfect "white" shoe. The black sole and bumper keep it from being too dark. The dark stripes give the shoe some color - keep it from being too boring. The shoe is not too low profile, (i.e. don't make you look like you are wearing ballet slippers, unlike so many "driving" inspired shoes) but are not a chunky shoe either.
    3. Nike Dunk Premium "Baseball" package series - great fall colors, but not *too* dark.
    4. Nose (Italian) sneakers from a few years ago. The best sole shape ever. In bright yellow and blue that somehow didn't come off as boring primary colors
    5. Asic Tiger Mexicos 66 - in any color - hands down the most comfortable sneaker out there. Period.
    6. Converse Chuch Taylor high tops - black. Because sometimes you can't improve on a classic.
    7. Adidas Rod Lavers in white and green - see number 6.
    8. Adidas Superstar - any color - the shelltoe will always be good.
    9. Puma Temo - these guys really came out with some great designs in the late 90's, in some crazy color schemes that couldn't be touched.
    10. Puma Mihara M5- a great design. Keep up the good work Mihara guy. I also like his contention that sneakers should be worn and not kept in collections. They are organic. They need to walk, to dance - not to be kept in some weird museum.

Forget Pony, PF Flyers, Penguin (seriously now) and all those other company's so obviously trying to cash in on a good thing. I give props to Vans too, but they are not on my personal favorites list.

6. @riss

@riss Senior Member

LA Guy, what pair were you rocking at sanctuary, out of curiousity? that's a good list, i would have said the laver too, but they got too popular a few years ago. i have a sweet pair of black-on-black dunk premiums. what are the baseball premiums?? finally, i agree that chuck taylors have to be on any list, but i still personally have to go with the all white over the black.

7. LA Guy

I don't mind blanket policies like "suits" only. What I have a problem with is management at faux classy places like Sanctuary enforcing dress codes when something cool could drop them with a right hook to the ribs and they still wouldn't know it. The best places in L.A. (I have less experience with NYC) had either no entrance criteria, or let people in based solely at the door lady's discretion. I never had a problem. Of course, at the time, I was usually either the only, or one of two, guys with an entourage of at least 4 girls, at least 3 gorgeous.

8. @riss

@riss Senior Member

i was really feeling the mihara pumas last year in that shiny platinum and black, but unfortunately never had an extra 250 euros to drop on them...

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

Hmm, I personally like Speed Cats quite a bit, even though they are a little bit low profile, but they are quite comfy. I could do without the puma on the toe area, but I think especially in a blue suede, they do look rather good with jeans. I also have a pair of the leather speed cats, but don't like them quite as much.

10. LA Guy

I was actually wearing a pair of sand and brown camo Nike Vandal premiums.

The only problem I have with Nike kicks is that they are so, so warm that they get a little uncomfortable after a few hours of wear.

11. @riss

@riss Senior Member

the other prob with nike kicks is that you usually have to keep them fresh looking, whereas vans, cons, adidas (lavers, stan smiths) are more wearable because they look better when they're a little beat up.

12. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Distinguished Member

LA Guy, I'm on the same page, mostly. This is not a well-studied sneaker list, because I just don't have that many, and I lean toward the classics. I'd love to check out some of the newer/designer stuff, but I just don't have the cash for casual. 1. Rod Laver - white with green - had these for tennis in high school because I sucked at tennis. They looked damn good though. 2. Chuck Taylor High - Black - I have big feet for my height, so chucks look stupid on me until properly worn in. Same reason I can't wear some of the Nike's; shiny new kicks rarely look good on me. 3. Jack Purcell Low - Navy - A little preppy for modern sneaker tastes, but if you're gonna go preppy, skip the Tretorns unless you want to look like a nurse. 4. Saucony Jazz Classic - lots of colors, and inexpensive. I don't wear em much now, but around 1998 they were awesome for $35/pair. 5. Vans Old School low - navy or black - I don't have the guts to wear the high tops, but they're cool too. Reminds me of reading Thrasher in elementary school. The dress code thing is a joke. I remember being in London in 2000 and bouncers enforcing the no jeans, no trainers rule. It was absurd that clubs considering themselves upscale at all would theoretically allow some guy in khakis and cole haans in ahead of a guy in diesel kratts and black jazz kicks. This is what encouraged me to buy Campers and complete my "I studied abroad" look. Not that I was going to exclusive clubs, but that dress code was just stupid. It makes me actually prefer the clubs that are more dress code at the door person's discretion. Should be noted: I have never seen a sneaker from Diesel that I would wear. EDIT: I see I'm a little late on a couple points... must type faster, do less work.

13. @riss

@riss Senior Member

EXACTLY. its a messed up world when the guy in dockers and steve maddens gets in ahead of the guy in dunks and tight jeans.

14. LA Guy

I hate Dockers. And I hate Steve Madden more? Difficult to say. Tight jeans though? I say fitted. Tight doesn't sound great. No guy should be wearing jeans so tight that he is showing meat and two veg. That is just... wrong.

15. @riss

@riss Senior Member

haha, wasn't talking about that. was thinking more along the lines of a.p.c. tight. my a.p.c's are the best fitting jeans i've ever owned, but they certainly aren't mick jagger tight, lol...