• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
The people who say this stuff still believe in rules, they just believe in a different set of dress rules. The rules are written as norms, rather than in stone. They adhere to the business casual uniform: flat front chinos (never pleated) with a button-up shirt or polo. Shoes are then Allbirds, tan loafers with a comfort sole, or grey suede oxfords with contrast laces. If you show up in a suit, you will be judged as square. If you show up in Kapital, people will think you're a hobo. There are still rules; they're just written into norms. The norm is often just very ugly.

high school never ends man

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the notion that there are no rules. There are cultural and regional norms - i.e how people dress in Tokyo is different than how people dress in Boise, Idaho. What might look "standard" in one place may look completely odd in the other. And, my personal opinion is there is much less standardization of men's fashion today than there was in the 50s/60s where men wore suit/hat/tie in many large cities in US. Today there is a lot less standardization even within the US, not to mention globally. IMO, we're simply left with people's opinions and trends. The challenging part is some people think their "opinion" should be a "rule". I like to listen to people's opinions and their rationale for why. When I think of tailored clothing I think jacket and tailored slacks or a suit. I have yet to see a person who looks good to me wearing that type of clothing and sneakers. Every time I've seen it, it looks bad to me. That's not a rule, just my opinion.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is 'timed out' basically a mod ban?
I’m not too sure tbh, but it’s an actual time out for a given period. I’ve seen times out that lasted for like 2 months lol
I find it hilarious tbh. I’m not even sure what @TheChihuahua said but I thought it was funny given his username and seeing the ‘time out’

Northants bloke

Reaction score
I really like to see positive examples how people adapt their clothing tastes to their lifestyles. That's why I am here. A thread about chinos with Oxfords or about sneakers with tailoring should allow people to explore their personal tastes and interpretations. I pick up clothing ideas here but also from advertising, retail and people in real life. I am interested in your personal styles.

The pity with acting like rules-based self appointed 'experts' are that you discourage people that might otherwise post how they choose to interpret the thread. When you pompously present your personal preferences as gospel, you shut down what could be a far more enjoyable thread. Personally I only wear sneakers rarely and in hot weather with shorts these days but it's really a case of strokes for folks. @TheChihuahua doesn't wear chinos because they don't fit his lifestyle. Chinos with boots or brogues suit my current lifestyle very well. We all live in different communities and different continents. Personally I don't see the relevance in a failed royal, a 60 year old American mail order catalogue or pre WW2 illustrations. FFIW, I visited the USA only once and over 30 years ago. There are plenty of countries I would prefer to see.

Living in England, I've not felt any particular opportunity or urgency to investigate Allen Edmunds products. Some of what I have seen here appeals to me and others less so BUT I REALLY DON'T GET why some of you post it purely in order to shoot it down. Learn some humility and stop showing what you don't like.

If you imagine your tastes are so far evolved that we should benefit from your pronouncements, why not back them up and show us your own interpretations of smart casual to buy your groceries, drink pints or eat your curry or pizza.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really like to see positive examples how people adapt their clothing tastes to their lifestyles. That's why I am here. A thread about chinos with Oxfords or about sneakers with tailoring should allow people to explore their personal tastes and interpretations. I pick up clothing ideas here but also from advertising, retail and people in real life. I am interested in your personal styles.

The pity with acting like rules-based self appointed 'experts' are that you discourage people that might otherwise post how they choose to interpret the thread. When you pompously present your personal preferences as gospel, you shut down what could be a far more enjoyable thread. Personally I only wear sneakers rarely and in hot weather with shorts these days but it's really a case of strokes for folks. @TheChihuahua doesn't wear chinos because they don't fit his lifestyle. Chinos with boots or brogues suit my current lifestyle very well. We all live in different communities and different continents. Personally I don't see the relevance in a failed royal, a 60 year old American mail order catalogue or pre WW2 illustrations. FFIW, I visited the USA only once and over 30 years ago. There are plenty of countries I would prefer to see.

Living in England, I've not felt any particular opportunity or urgency to investigate Allen Edmunds products. Some of what I have seen here appeals to me and others less so BUT I REALLY DON'T GET why some of you post it purely in order to shoot it down. Learn some humility and stop showing what you don't like.

If you imagine your tastes are so far evolved that we should benefit from your pronouncements, why not back them up and show us your own interpretations of smart casual to buy your groceries, drink pints or eat your curry or pizza.

Should people not say what is bad? People here do it all the time with things they dislike; they just don't like hearing that their own choices might be bad.

How many times have SWD outfits been ridiculed on this side of the forum? Or the general public (all the moaning about how modernity is bad and no one wears a suit anymore)? Or the comments about backpacks, short jackets and trim suits, sneakers, and all the other things commonly hated on here?

Again, all this started because someone literally asked if they can wear chinos with oxfords. They asked for opinions and feedback.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When even a 'heritage' sort of maker gets this wrong, I hope you can appreciate what a struggle it is for kids these days to learn the right rules.

Passus.JPG

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Should people not say what is bad? People here do it all the time with things they dislike; they just don't like hearing that their own choices might be bad.

How many times have SWD outfits been ridiculed on this side of the forum? Or the general public (all the moaning about how modernity is bad and no one wears a suit anymore)? Or the comments about backpacks, short jackets and trim suits, sneakers, and all the other things commonly hated on here?

Again, all this started because someone literally asked if they can wear chinos with oxfords. They asked for opinions and feedback.

You're kind of making my point for me. I don't see the point in ridiculing other tastes including SWD. You presented your argument well and backed it up by what you considered supporting evidence. I felt you missed the point but we have already been over that. Ultimately a smart casual thread should be about the wearing of smart casual clothes. I think anyone's point is better made if demonstrated from their own usage.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When even a 'heritage' sort of maker gets this wrong, I hope you can appreciate what a struggle it is for kids these days to learn the right rules.

View attachment 1676220

Is that a heritage company? Their site looks like it's marketed towards iGents.

Ultimately a smart casual thread should be about the wearing of smart casual clothes.

This is how I feel about this side of the forum. I think "Classic Menswear" should be about classic men's style, not the sort of iGent, shoe culture, modern-classic stuff that's sometimes now posted.

Northants bloke

Reaction score

View attachment 1676220
I've not heard of this brand but I don't seenthe problem. The shoes only the right are obviously more casual or less dressy. I would presume those descriptions to be apt in the context of their collection.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1676220

These shoes are all more casual than:

I think the pair on the right are gorgeous, but they are decidedly more casual than the pair on the left.

You have a grain leather, you have what appears to be a storm welt with contrast stitching, etc. I'd still consider them extremely dressy, but they are definitely less so than an austere, black cap toe.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Their IG shows the same Allen Edmonds-styled marketing photos.

I don't see how that's different from the "business casual" outfits that used to be described as the death knell for classic men's style. This photo is from the NYT story about how Wall Street is dressing down. Nearly every major US city nowadays looks like this and the Passus photo above.

Tan shoes + dark trousers + dress shirt (sometimes a sweater or polo) + no jacket. Sometimes the person is wearing sneakers or loafers, but the look is basically all the same.

Untitled-1.jpg

This guy even has blue oxfords

merlin_192098961_0c23ec31-5c80-4024-b0b2-76caafc9097e-superJumbo.jpeg

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did some quick research. Passus was founded in 2019. So not 'heritage'. Though the founder worked at Vass for quite a while, so has some of that Central European background.

They take bride in their "made to order" service and describe all shoes as using "bespoke processes."

They also charge more than Vass.

To me, sorta seems like Vass for igents.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Is that a heritage company? Their site looks like it's marketed towards iGents.

This is how I feel about this side of the forum. I think "Classic Menswear" should be about classic men's style, not the sort of iGent, shoe culture, modern-classic stuff that's sometimes now posted.

Room for both. Hopefully the title of the thread (eg chinos + oxfords) gives everyone a clue. I don't really understand the term iGent. I buy clothing to wear in my environment. Modern-classic seems a fairer description. Sorry you think it's a problem. Monteverdi, Mahler, Miles Davis or Kraftwerk? All classics. Your golden age might not bentuensame as mine.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, these are both good points. But you have to think that things like this propagate the notion that certain oxfords can be worn with casual things in general, and not just casual suits. This is the nuance that must be difficult for beginning dressers to understand.

I've not heard of this brand but I don't seenthe problem. The shoes only the right are obviously more casual or less dressy. I would presume those descriptions to be apt in the context of their collection.
I think the pair on the right are gorgeous, but they are decidedly more casual than the pair on the left.

You have a grain leather, you have what appears to be a storm welt with contrast stitching, etc. I'd still consider them extremely dressy, but they are definitely less so than an austere, black cap toe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads