• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Neither sneakers nor tailoring. But who knows what this thread is about anymore?
View attachment 1675743
Was it in the 80s or 90s pants started to look this bad? All wrinkly and “jeansy”. Somehow I don’t recollect things looking like this in photos from earlier times. Must be the cut I guess. Or my memory.

I like the brogues with the trousers. Relaxed but smart. So is is the woolly. Not so keen on the collar outside but everyone did that. I don't get excited about old cars.

Sneakers - funny we never called them sneakers growing up. A lot of men these days only wear trainers or desert boots. Plimsoles are okay I guess for sockless summer look so a cotton or linen suite perhaps. I've considered wearing plimsoles with chinos but only really wear them reluctantly and with shorts. The dirt cheap ones from Primark etc do the job just fine and there's little benefit in buying higher quality. I'm not attracted to high end trainers or dress sneakers (outside of sport) but they don't offend me.

Sir Jack II

Reaction score
1632763837280.jpeg

This girl undoubtedly looks cool in her derbies. I can’t tell whether the bad little boy is wearing oxfords or derbies.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The people who say this stuff still believe in rules, they just believe in a different set of dress rules. The rules are written as norms, rather than in stone. They adhere to the business casual uniform: flat front chinos (never pleated) with a button-up shirt or polo. Shoes are then Allbirds, tan loafers with a comfort sole, or grey suede oxfords with contrast laces. If you show up in a suit, you will be judged as square. If you show up in Kapital, people will think you're a hobo. There are still rules; they're just written into norms. The norm is often just very ugly.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The people who say this stuff still believe in rules, they just believe in a different set of dress rules. The rules are written as norms, rather than in stone. They adhere to the business casual uniform: flat front chinos (never pleated) with a button-up shirt or polo. Shoes are then Allbirds, tan loafers with a comfort sole, or grey suede oxfords with contrast laces. If you show up in a suit, you will be judged as square. If you show up in Kapital, people will think you're a hobo. There are still rules; they're just written into norms. The norm is often just very ugly.

If you ran AE, would you set your line-up based on what you thought looked best or what you thought would sell best? It's hard to fault them for changing their line-up to follow those norms you mention. I agree the stuff is ugly, but if I owned a shoe company I'd rather sell a lot of ugly stuff than not much good looking stuff.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you ran AE, would you set your line-up based on what you thought looked best or what you thought would sell best? It's hard to fault them for changing their line-up to follow those norms you mention. I agree the stuff is ugly, but if I owned a shoe company I'd rather sell a lot of ugly stuff than not much good looking stuff.

Yea, if I was running AE, I would absolutely run it as they're running it now. With their large retail footprint, I assume they have to sell a lot of units, which means selling unusual styles and weird dressy-casual hybrids.

They ran this campaign once for black side zip boots. It was one of the few non-traditional styles that I liked, and I enjoyed the presentation. Coherent, cool, etc.

But I also assume they're not selling many of these black side zips.

DsGSf4BU4AA1E0W.jpeg

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're definitely derbies, which you can tell because he doesn't have a jacket on.

Ya. No jacket. No awesome oxfords.

Definitely not good enough for the country club.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads