• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One look down at the shoes will confirm in an instant what you may have already suspected -- that one of these gentlemen is a bastion of impeccable taste, historical knowledge, and coherence in the language of dress, while the other...still has much to learn.

TR.JPG

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One look down at the shoes will confirm in an instant what you may have already suspected -- that one of these gentlemen is a bastion of impeccable taste, historical knowledge, and coherence in the language of dress, while the other...still has much to learn.

View attachment 1675388

Both of those outfits are beautiful. I wish men dressed more like that.

I don't feel your blue oxfords and strange wholecuts have any relationship with that aesthetic because they will draw the eye downward

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
There's nothing special about grey trousers and navy sport coats. But there is something special about finding iterations of those things that fit well and create a beautiful silhouette. And men who are able to combine those types of items in a way that looks elegant and harmonious. It takes a long time to find those things, and learn what flatters your body type. And learn how to dress in a more elegant manner….

just more hot air nonsense!
this is too funny. He has to be doing this on purpose at this point?
There is absolutely nothing substantive in this explanation of his position. Complete hot air.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing special about grey trousers and navy sport coats. But there is something special about finding iterations of those things that fit well and create a beautiful silhouette. And men who are able to combine those types of items in a way that looks elegant and harmonious. It takes a long time to find those things, and learn what flatters your body type. And learn how to dress in a more elegant manner, rather than festoon yourself with strange, kitschy items that end up looking like you've painted a mustache on the Mona Lisa.
You keep talking about kitsch. I'm talking about oxfords -- plain old, boring oxfords -- with smart, serious outfits like worsted trousers and sportcoats, as I have demonstrated in this thread and maintained from the beginning. I'm talking about the mundane, everyday, unimaginative outfits that are right in your wheelhouse.

What is really your point here? That if you haven't reached some sort of clothing nirvana, the loafers or derbies will somehow help you out? That one should only wear oxfords if they are impeccably tailored with beautiful silhouettes and harmony and elegance, suit or no suit?

You just can't keep the goalposts in one place.

You know, there is an even simpler rule than the one you are advocating, and that would be a better fit for the evidence. And that is: Generally speaking, choose casual shoes for casual outfits and dressy shoes for dressy ones. I'm not sure what bothers you so much about that, if it's not that it represents some sort of threatening break with tradition (as you see it).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You keep talking about kitsch. I'm talking about oxfords -- plain old, boring oxfords -- with smart, serious outfits like worsted trousers and sportcoats, as I have demonstrated in this thread and maintained from the beginning. I'm talking about the mundane, everyday, unimaginative outfits that are right in your wheelhouse.

What is really your point here? That if you haven't reached some sort of clothing nirvana, the loafers or derbies will somehow help you out? That one should only wear oxfords if they are impeccably tailored with beautiful silhouettes and harmony and elegance, suit or no suit?

You just can't keep the goalposts in one place.

You know, there is an even simpler rule than the one you are advocating, and that would be a better fit for the evidence. And that is: Generally speaking, choose casual shoes for casual outfits and dressy shoes for dressy ones. I'm not sure what bothers you so much about that, if it's not that it represents some sort of threatening break with tradition (as you see it).

I can't put it in simpler terms than this

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There's another thread somewhere where someone asked what's wrong with black, squared-toe shoes. I explained to the person that black, squared-toed shoes are associated with a bad period of style in the 1990s when many men wore the style (often bought from Kenneth Cole). And that, when many men started to get into men's style around 2005, it was commonly advised that they should bin their black squared toe shoes and replace them with anatomically corrected, brown round- or almond-toe options.

There are very specific and small sections of men's style where black, squared toe shoes can work in very specific and narrow ways. But for many men who were just starting to learn how to dress in 2005, it was easier to say: get rid of your specific black squared toe shoes and get these brown, round-toed versions instead.

Does that mean that someone will automatically look better if they wear brown, almond-toe shoes, instead of the black square-toe ones?

No. This is just an easy piece of advice to give to people who are starting to learn how to dress better.

Most of the guys who wear oxfords today don't dress like Roetzel, Boyer, or Akamine. They often have low-quality tailoring. They don't know what fits. They want to look fancy and respectable, so they buy oxfords. Or they're into "shoe culture" (recently through the boom of YouTube channels and blogs). So they buy the fanciest shoes they see until they run out of boring colors and get navy.

These people will not magically look better if they just wear derbies instead. Style is more than just putting a single object on your body (indeed, this is what I'm arguing against when men put fancy shoes on themselves without thinking about the coherence of their outfit).

But this is an easy piece of advice to give to help break what has become an increasingly cacophonous field.

"What's so special about brown shoes?" "What's so special about navy jackets?" "What's so special about grey pants?" Nothing, except that it's hard to find good versions of these things and wear them elegantly. Instead, we have this:

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"What's so special about brown shoes?" "What's so special about navy jackets?" "What's so special about grey pants?" Nothing, except that it's hard to find good versions of these things and wear them elegantly. Instead, we have this:

I thought the fun socks reigned from 2003-2013. I was wrong :(

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought the fun socks reigned from 2003-2013. I was wrong :(

"Fun socks" are another example of what I mean.

I think you can wear unusually colored socks well. We can think of multiple examples: Michael Drake, Luciano Barbera, and Bruce Boyer often don't follow "the rule" when it comes to socks.

Yet, most men who are just starting to dress better should just wear "normal" socks. Pointing out all the ways that some men "break" the rule misses the point that many men look awful in their weird socks because they have no idea what they're doing.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Kitschy clown shoes? Hahahah. So long as they don’t have closed laces then they can be progressive and not kitschy?? What a joke this guy is.

E164F4C7-24F3-41EF-AE7B-842613B77E28.jpeg

DE73EB8A-1DC6-433A-B65B-AC679C7B7120.jpeg

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
The templeton thread is hilarious to read back:

1. Dieworkwear’s split toe derby fetish dates back many years
2. Dieworkwear used to be appreciate more progressive oxfords and loafers that he would now call “clown shoes”

2C2A0D68-7A46-49B9-AEA5-A41D379545E0.jpeg

72671847-5B72-4847-9875-94BE220EDE91.jpeg

87CDA877-EB56-420B-9F6E-82D0533C8C12.jpeg

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I like both of these

I wouldn’t wear the bottom combo, but I think it looks good

yeah, not saying they look bad.
Just pointing out the crazy hypocrisy by DWW and the moving of the goalposts.

if He could just phrase it as “I like X but don’t like Y…”
But he’s not capable of that.
so he makes odd arguments (connection to history” “educated informed choices” or “beautiful cuts (and other non-quantifiable subjective terms) or just insults one thing that could totally be used for half the stuff he likes “clown shoes”…

I am having a blast reading this joke dig his hole deeper and deeper.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
I’ve learned a bunch from DWW

he clearly knows a lot, but he also seems to have a personal style which he sometimes presents as if it’s an objective standard

most people do this though. I do it too

there’s no accounting for taste. Some people like yellow suits.:)

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I’ve learned a bunch from DWW

he clearly knows a lot, but he also seems to have a personal style which he sometimes presents as if it’s an objective standard

most people do this though. I do it too

there’s no accounting for taste. Some people like yellow suits.:)

hey, no problem with people having a style they prefer.
I actually like this site to see other styles and maybe gain inspiration. (If it were just a bunch of soorts coats with split toe derbies, it would be super boring)

but when they present their preference as an authority and then spout out a bunch of BS to support it, they come off like arrogant asses and are easy to laugh at.

he has a certain uniform he wants everyone to wear. Anybody not wearing that uniform he accuses of just started wearing clothes and are not educated.

and then he has fan boys who defend him and him and claim he’s not actually trying to be an authority!!!
And then he uses those troll accounts…

It’s been a wild ride recently watching him unravel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads