• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We should all dress like this guy…

this is the uniform:

View attachment 1675368

and if you aren’t going to dress like this guy, then this is the alternative:

View attachment 1675369

Next week he will be telling everyone that Leopardskin Slippers and jeans is a "cool look steeped in tradition"

Even his username is a contradiction, as he actually quite likes workwear ??

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Next week he will be telling everyone that Leopardskin Slippers and jeans is a "cool look steeped in tradition"

Valuing tradition is not the same as thinking that only traditional looks are worthwhile. You can understand how to work within a framework while also appreciating other aesthetics. Just as you can listen to multiple genres of music, or appreciate different forms of art.

Having catholic taste also doesn't mean you have to be a relativist. You can also say certain things are ugly. I think a lot of this "modern classic" stuff is ugly. The very tight and trim suit jackets, the unusual shoes, and the guys wearing charcoal chinos with navy polos and tan oxford shoes. The combinations are totally unmoored.

The strange thing is, I'm often arguing with people who claim to be traditionalists. These are the same people who say that modernity is bad and that people around them are dressed poorly. They often say that people should dress more classically. Yet, they themselves are not classically dressed.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The strange thing is, I'm often arguing with people who claim to be traditionalists. These are the same people who say that modernity is bad and that people around them are dressed poorly. They often say that people should dress more classically. Yet, they themselves are not classically dressed.

This has been the most eye opening part of the threads over the past few months. For the longest time I thought those complaining about others dressed more like vox/foo/matt/conservative business dress like in that series of pics you posted in one of the other threads but turns out they are more closely aligned with suitsupply a decade ago.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That may also, in some cases, include wearing oxfords with sport coats. But doing so successfully requires some knowledge.
That's what I'm talking about, man. What is the knowledge it requires? What are the circumstances in which a sportcoat can go with oxfords? For those who know, what is it they know? Won't you pleeeease let us all in on the secret?

Or, is it a secret to you too?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's what I'm talking about, man. What is the knowledge it requires? What are the circumstances in which a sportcoat can go with oxfords? For those who know, what is it they know? Won't you pleeeease let us all in on the secret?

Wear beautiful tailoring
Wear wool trousers, not chinos
Wear a tailored jacket
Make sure your clothes not only fit, but also have a good silhouette
Combine things in aesthetically coherent ways (the cloth, colors, and details)
Wear sightly more casual versions of oxfords

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who's getting the better end of this bargain? Old boy on the right in the derby shoes...right?

BR22.JPG

I half wonder if maybe they didn't trade shoes to take the picture. You know, because the derbs are the natural choice for the grey pents and all.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear beautiful tailoring
Wear wool trousers, not chinos
Wear a tailored jacket
Make sure your clothes not only fit, but also have a good silhouette
Combine things in aesthetically coherent ways (the cloth, colors, and details)
Wear sightly more casual versions of oxfords
Dayyyum...I can't believe you've been holding out on us for so long! Next time you got to drop that wisdom earlier, my man. We could have saved a lot of round and round.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Who's getting the better end of this bargain? Old boy on the right in the derby shoes...right?

View attachment 1675378

I half wonder if maybe they didn't trade shoes to take the picture. You know, because the derbs are the natural choice for the grey pents and all.

You and your unusual shoes are much closer to the outfit on the right, than the left. Especially since you said that oxfords can be worn without a tailored jacket. The aesthetic I'm advocating for is the left.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So now the aesthetic you advocate for includes something you have gone to great lengths to recommend against. Sigh.

Really, when you get down to it, what is it that is so special, or advanced, or historically precious about grey trousers, a blue jacket, a white or blue shirt, and a striped tie? You couldn't swing a dead cat in a proper men's store without hitting every single one of those. Who among us doesn't have it all in his closet, probably a few times over?

As for me, my friend, I don't wear things like old boy on the right. And I own dozens of pairs of shoes, just like you do, with iterations of all the classics in black and multiple shades of brown. They are what I would call usual shoes. Should you discover a hole in your own wardrobe, just say the word and I'll be happy to help a brother out.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score

you need to be educated and informed as to classical style.
So sneakers work well, because most classic menswear gentlemen wore sneakers with tailored clothing.
but Oxford shoes have a closed lace system, and while they were worn plenty with tailored clothing, they don’t fit the San Fran Caj vibe right now as they dress up sports coats too much, so derbies or loafers or sneakers should be worn instead.

hahahahhahahaha

DWW appreciation thread has gotten to this guys head. He actually fancies himself an authority on this nonsense.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
So now the aesthetic you advocate for includes something you have gone to great lengths to recommend against. Sigh.

Really, when you get down to it, what is it that is so special, or advanced, or historically precious about grey trousers, a blue jacket, a white or blue shirt, and a striped tie? You couldn't swing a dead cat in a proper men's store without hitting every single one of those. Who among us doesn't have it all in his closet, probably a few times over?

As for me, my friend, I don't wear things like old boy on the right. And I own dozens of pairs of shoes, just like you do, with iterations of all the classics in black and multiple shades of brown. They are what I would call usual shoes. Should you discover a hole in your own wardrobe, just say the word and I'll be happy to help a brother out.

this is the type of garbage he posts on his blog as good looks!!

4784D76B-E9B3-402A-98D7-140B2E39A538.jpeg
E205F3D3-76C4-4EF4-8C48-F6A06D313F98.jpeg
F2928AD4-8869-4448-AE5E-AA8840C1DA6D.jpeg

A8F4CDC7-88EC-4D26-AA14-21E6328071BA.jpeg
940F2444-B4B6-46DD-B1D6-827322348AEB.jpeg

but the dozens of great pictures of guys in Oxford shoes with soorts coats are bad looks in his eye, and shoe companies like Justin Fitzpatrick and Joseph Cheaney and gaziano and girling are clown shoes.
everyone wear leather loafers with white athletic socks!!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There's nothing special about grey trousers and navy sport coats. But there is something special about finding iterations of those things that fit well and create a beautiful silhouette. And men who are able to combine those types of items in a way that looks elegant and harmonious. It takes a long time to find those things, and learn what flatters your body type. And learn how to dress in a more elegant manner, rather than festoon yourself with strange, kitschy items that end up looking like you've painted a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Dayyyum...I can't believe you've been holding out on us for so long! Next time you got to drop that wisdom earlier, my man. We could have saved a lot of round and round.

it’s funny, whenever he tries to articulate this nonsense he resorts to terms like “wear beautiful..” that aren’t really objective. (He does this in other debates he losing as well)

and if you wear slightly more casual oxfords, well…, if he doesn’t like them then they are “clown shoes”.
Other than a suede Oxford, as those are like his split toe derby and loafers, part of his uniform everyone should wear.

it’s the most fascinating train wreck I have observed in a long time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics