• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
No, I would not consider an 18-year-old to be a man or a woman yet. I'm around such people on a regular basis and consider them somewhere between a child and a full-grown adult. Just because an 18-year-old wants to ******** with a 35-year-old, I would not consider it wise or right for that 35-year-old to engage. Because they should know better.

I don't think I was a fully developed person at 18 years of age. I think I was still very much learning to find my way through the world and make proper decisions. I can't give you a defining line of when someone became a man or a woman. I can only say that, I think people who are in their 30s should date people closer to their age.

I agree with you generally. At the same time, if an 18 yr decides she wants to sleep with a 35 yr old, that is her choice to make. Maybe with hindsight she will think that was a bad choice but that is life. I don’t think it’s cool to manipulate people, and I agree that if I had a friend who was hitting on teenagers I would think him sleazy. But different people have different lifestyles. I’m not down with a lot of things people do, but it’s not up to me to police them

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quote-the-heart-wants-what-it-wants-there-s-no-logic-woody-allen-302892.jpg

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does any of this have to do with suits and sneakers??

I think maybe suits and sneakers is a look teenage girls might go for, I much prefer women anyway.

Hopefully this silly fad will fade away and we can get back to dressing like men again ?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm not saying this to be snarky, but I don't know who are these people being posted. I recognize Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore, but I don't know the others.

If you're saying that people have had consensual relationships in the past, while following what you feel is a reasonable age difference (18-year-old with a 35-year-old), and that those relationships have turned out fine, then I have to take you at your word. I don't know anything about these people or their relationships. I don't even know anything about Kutcher and Moore's relationship; I know very little about their careers.

But laws and mores are not meant to capture every instance. It's reasonable to say that 35-year-olds should not ******** with 18-year-olds even if you can point to a few examples of healthy relationships in the past in this category.

From the age you gave, it sounds like you're 44 years old. For this to have to be explained is very strange. I don't know if you've been around 18-year-olds lately, but such a person is much closer to being a child than an adult.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
I'm not saying this to be snarky, but I don't know who are these people being posted. I recognize Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore, but I don't know the others.

If you're saying that people have had consensual relationships in the past, while following what you feel is a reasonable age difference (18-year-old with a 35-year-old), and that those relationships have turned out fine, then I have to take you at your word. I don't know anything about these people or their relationships. I don't even know anything about Kutcher and Moore's relationship; I know very little about their careers.

But laws and mores are not meant to capture every instance. It's reasonable to say that 35-year-olds should not ******** with 18-year-olds even if you can point to a few examples of healthy relationships in the past in this category.

From the age you gave, it sounds like you're 44 years old. For this to have to be explained is very strange. I don't know if you've been around 18-year-olds lately, but such a person is much closer to being a child than an adult.

its very basic, man. I’m not doing it, but it’s not up to me to decide if other people want to. People decide for themselves how they want to live their lives and who they want to be with. Do I necessarily approve of every lifestyle choice— no, but at the same time it’s not my business who other people choose to have relationships with

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My general distaste of 35 year olds with 18 year olds has nothing to do with "white knighting," and is in no way focused on protecting a younger party. I think it points to misplaced priorities on the part of a 30 something.

Back to shoes. At a wedding as we speak. A lot of really bad shoes on display. More than a few walnut strands with navy suits (none of which have a break to speak of of course - lots of visible socks when standing).

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Martha Raye and her husband, Mark Harris.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
its very basic, man. I’m not doing it, but it’s not up to me to decide if other people want to. People decide for themselves how they want to live their lives and who they want to be with. Do I necessarily approve of every lifestyle choice— no, but at the same time it’s not my business who other people choose to have relationships with

Did I forcibly go into someone's relationship and pull them apart? Have I made some law? People have the right to express their opinions on things. If someone thinks something is sleazy, it's fine for them to say they think that's sleazy. Should no-one in society be allowed to express an opinion? Is this another form of policing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads