• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why does every new CM thread become rabbit hole these days, would I wear suit with sneaker?

yea, casual suit for sure (brown linen, green linen, or even black linen), with CP type of minimalist white sneaker, or say cotton chino, sport coat with GAT. Can go the BC Italian atheleisure route as well, though less so for myself

AgentGary

Reaction score
Might need to swap to a skirt to look more adolescent.
1632450762215.png

AgentGary

Reaction score
I'm all out of shaving cream, so I don't think I can pull off the skirt look.

Also, not into wearing athletic socks with dress shoes. Do you think me a boor?
Yea, athletic socks with your hand welted shoes...

I meant glued, sneakers are glued, not hand welted...

Everyone knows that.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, athletic socks with your hand welted shoes...

I meant glued, sneakers are glued, not hand welted...

Everyone knows that.

giphy.gif

I'm glad I've managed to live rent free in your head all this time, even after the switch in accounts.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You misconstrued my point about women. I will take your non-malicious intent here serious.

It is not that I like women who "dress like little boys". In fact, I don't generally like androgenous looks on women at all. There are exceptions, of course, but I don't dig that look. But if someone IS to dress masculinely, they can pull it off if they look like an adolescent boy. It's the pederasty look that has been common in art for thousands of years. It can look suitable. I can aesthetically say "okay, she doesn't look terrible" in a detached ways.

It's not -my- sexual preference or aesthetic preference to like adolescent boy looks. It's not what I personally like.

My sexual or aesthetic preference is the cute girls I pointed out. That's how I like women to dress in a normal context. If I wanted to go out with a woman on a date in a low to medium formality setting, I'd want her to look like that. I also think they look objectively good, but that is very much a personal preference.

I also like Goth chicks, but that is neither here nor there. (Thanks, Elvira!)

You keep on forgetting the antecedent to this conditional. "If you want to dress masculinely". The looks that pull this off are those which I have written about over the last few hours, as I judge female aesthetics.

I will leave aside the idea of whether or not women like to dress for men. That's a whole other debate. We could probably go for another 4-5 hours (if not longer) on that one.

As for limitation of female styles: You have forgotten that the antecedent of the conditional limits the focus.

I am not saying the only option for girls is to look cute or boyish. I am saying that only of masculine-focused looks.

Girls can also dress sexy, they can dress cool, they can dress elegantly, they can dress dramatically, etc. In fact, I do agree with you: women have a more varied set of looks for men, especially as they can often do these in settings men can't, or shouldn't, do so.

I know we're beating a dead horse at this point, but just wanted to add that I recognize you're only talking about women in menswear. I also recognize that some of these looks can come off as "cute." Or they can come off as "butch." But I also think there are other expressions -- cool, elegant, rugged, hippie, or whatever. The expression may not directly be about the singular focus of gender (which you've coded as cute = feminine, butch = the negation of femininity). These expressions may be layered on top of the gender expression. So a woman may look androgynous, feminine, or masculine, and on top of that cool, elegant, or whatever.

Some of the terms you used to describe the looks I posted earlier are imprecise. Such as you calling some looks frumpy. That just seems to be "I can't make sense of this look." But I think that springs more out of a lack of familiarity with this subject.

A woman who's unfamiliar with menswear may view the styles posted on this board in the same limited terms. I remember a poster on here who insisted that women read the outfits posted on this board as frumpy and "old man-ish." I'm talking about the types of outfits that Iammatt and Vox used to post. Another poster told me that his wife vetoed a Balmacaan coat because she also felt it was old mannish. Which, fair enough -- her view is her view, and if you live with someone, you should also try to get along. But to people on this board, things such as tweed sport coats and balmacaan coats register as elegant, tasteful, and masculine.

It's hard to talk about this on this board in concrete terms because

1) I feel weird posting photos of actual, real-life women on this side of the board so that a bunch of nerds (including me) can say whether she looks cute or butch
2) I then resort to posting photos of models or famous people. But because of how media is orientated, many of these women will be small and thin.

I can only say that, when I step out into the world and see real-life, well-dressed women in menswear, they don't read as "cute" or "butch" to me. I feel like this should be most obvious for the suit -- historically a men's garment. A woman putting on a suit doesn't necessarily look cute or butch, she may just look professional.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
also if we're just going for pure joy rabbit hole (sneaker with suit doesn't have to be) I got couple more rabbit hole topic to follow up

1. western shirt with CM wear (actually can be legit), though we already got the Foo derailing on that one
2. cowboy boots with CM wear (can be legit)
3. western shirt+cowboy boot with CM wear (no jeans!, just to make it harder)
4. shorts with blucher (real rabbit hole, as in step 1, you're already in the biggest hole you ever dig, done and done)
5. shorts with oxford (same as above)
6. shorts with balmoral boot (also same as above)
7. shorts with blucher boot (also same as above)
8. lazyman with everything/anything (trolling myself?)
9. tri material patina bi shoes with everything/anything (trolling our shoes friends on the AE side?)
10. white socks with suits (semi legit?)
11. white athletic socks with suits (also pretty close to one step
12. 4/5/6/7 but no socks

AgentGary

Reaction score
giphy.gif

I'm glad I've managed to live rent free in your head all this time, even after the switch in accounts.
I have zero clue what you are talking about.

I literally just responded to you for the first time.

Is it something I said that churned up bad memories? Dark past?

Gonna go read some other threads.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does every new CM thread become rabbit hole these days, would I wear suit with sneaker?

yea, casual suit for sure (brown linen, green linen, or even black linen), with CP type of minimalist white sneaker, or say cotton chino, sport coat with GAT. Can go the BC Italian atheleisure route as well, though less so for myself
I kind of dig the BC drawstring casual suit look and I’m not sure how to feel about liking it. May have to add one and see if it actually works but at first glance I think I prefer it to the shacket/field jacket look that’s in for a summer look.
E7EF4895-F271-40F1-8D3C-76ABE54E1FC1.jpeg
550499C3-5708-43B3-B932-2EC82D99ED8D.jpeg

for FW I think this could work with some sneakers as well
8D484853-85C3-4EDE-A031-848D311E0398.jpeg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that middle picture, change out the blue shirt to something more muted would fit espadrilles with suit as well? With blue shirt I think minimalist sneaker definitely do work (just not pure white, off white/softer tone, beat up or not)

edit: though personally never liked draw string for whatever reason

AgentGary

Reaction score

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know we're beating a dead horse at this point, but just wanted to add that I recognize you're only talking about women in menswear. I also recognize that some of these looks can come off as "cute." Or they can come off as "butch." But I also think there are other expressions -- cool, elegant, rugged, hippie, or whatever. The expression may not directly be about the singular focus of gender (which you've coded as cute = feminine, butch = the negation of femininity). These expressions may be layered on top of the gender expression. So a woman may look androgynous, feminine, or masculine, and on top of that cool, elegant, or whatever.

Some of the terms you used to describe the looks I posted earlier are imprecise. Such as you calling some looks frumpy. That just seems to be "I can't make sense of this look." But I think that springs more out of a lack of familiarity with this subject.

A woman who's unfamiliar with menswear may view the styles posted on this board in the same limited terms. I remember a poster on here who insisted that women read the outfits posted on this board as frumpy and "old man-ish." I'm talking about the types of outfits that Iammatt and Vox used to post. Another poster told me that his wife vetoed a Balmacaan coat because she also felt it was old mannish. Which, fair enough -- her view is her view, and if you live with someone, you should also try to get along. But to people on this board, things such as tweed sport coats and balmacaan coats register as elegant, tasteful, and masculine.

It's hard to talk about this on this board in concrete terms because

1) I feel weird posting photos of actual, real-life women on this side of the board so that a bunch of nerds (including me) can say whether she looks cute or butch
2) I then resort to posting photos of models or famous people. But because of how media is orientated, many of these women will be small and thin.

I can only say that, when I step out into the world and see real-life, well-dressed women in menswear, they don't read as "cute" or "butch" to me. I feel like this should be most obvious for the suit -- historically a men's garment. A woman putting on a suit doesn't necessarily look cute or butch, she may just look professional.

Okay. So you think the spectrum of looks a woman can have in menswear is broader than mine. Or at least, there are different "looks" that she could be going for. I will even grant that, but I think if she is going to look -good- in those looks, it's either going to be an expression of cuteness, or it's going to be about her being androgenous enough that it doesn't look out of place as she already has that boyish look. If not, she's going to end up looking hella butch.

I mean, I honestly thought the Natalie Portman look made her look like a stoner that went on a hiking trip. Other looks were confusing, like bathrobe lady.

I've seen women in pant suits, but I haven't ever seen a woman in a men's suit in a professional setting. Like, a full blown men's-style suit. I have seen plenty of professionals in pant suits. Or at least, I didn't notice this.

I mean, admittedly, part of the small and thin look is going to give them the adolescent boy look. So there is that skew. And that is also going to skew the look in general because that is what we see in magazines, in blogs, on websites, etc. I will grant you that.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Other looks were confusing, like bathrobe lady.

BTW, that's a wait coat, a predecessor to what we today call a polo coat.

Male polo players used to wear this as a wrap-around belted coat to stay warm between periods of play.

tumblr_mc9pp0B0eo1rpqfmno1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_m9mmp1mNpo1rpqfmno1_1280.jpeg
77711.jpeg
777777.png

The design later acquired buttons and a Martingale belt.

tumblr_mc9neioRf81rpqfmno1_640.jpeg
tumblr_piy2xyEKmf1qahplno1_1280.jpeg

When Antonio was the designer at Eidos, he made a navy version for men. However, for the lookbook, he modeled the coat on a woman. His version is the original wraparound design (no buttons, just a belt). But it was done in navy.

700.jpeg
77.jpeg

In the past, designers have also made this in blue for men.

tumblr_nfkkgfIxLV1rpqfmno1_1280.jpeg

The garment has been marketed to, modeled on, and sold to women countless times in the past. Another example of menswear on women, and done in a way that's not about making them look cute or butch. Would characterize this simply as referencing classic American dress. The expression is just preppy, wealthy, classy, sophisticated, etc. Basically, the ideas that Brooks Brothers traded on for generations.

tumblr_3234b8492c474dedf7001f6d3d987a4b_2eb450c7_1280.jpeg
tumblr_pzbsl5YbS21rpqfmno1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_mkdhl8kTbl1rpqfmno1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_peord9blpa1rpqfmno1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_pfflz0qXHJ1rpqfmno1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_m4ev2hIoQY1rtwjmgo1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_pgrtodYNdi1rpqfmno1_400.jpeg
tumblr_oj286qWqgP1vyyc7go1_500.jpeg
tumblr_mptowvBHK11rpqfmno1_1280.jpeg

This ad even calls it by its name. "The Polo Coat. All Things To All People." Although, I don't know if I would call this specific design a polo.

tumblr_mc9qh7xkHG1rpqfmno1_1280.jpeg

Even works on very small woman who don't look like 13 year old boys

tumblr_mre58m4or61rpqfmno1_640.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads