• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You either have a really good memory or you really like me. That thread was like, six months ago.

I am not saying that all women's wear looks cute. But I am saying that if a woman is going to wear men's clothing, it's going to have some element of cute, or it will end up looking butch, which is decidedly not an attractive look.

Some people choose butch specifically for lifestyle and orientational reasons. I get that. But that is explicitly to emphasize the masculine to the point of annihilating the feminine, as expressive of a sort of sexual and gender identity issue.

But yes, I like cute girls.

Are people here goldfish? Is it odd to remember a post from six months ago? How do you guys have careers that involve your brain? I remember posts here from ten years ago.

I disagree that the outcomes for a woman in menswear are either "cute" or "butch." I've posted many examples of what I think is good womenswear in that thread. Don't want to post a bunch of those photos here, but those interested can go look.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are people here goldfish? Is it odd to remember a post from six months ago? How do you guys have careers that involve your brain?

I’m wondering if it’s possible for you to have discourse, even heated discourse, with others without resorting to ad hominem attacks and insults. Let alone allusions to sodomy. Just curious.

VegasRebel

Reaction score
I disagree that the outcomes for a woman in menswear are either "cute" or "butch."

I think Sonya, Hugo Jacomet's wife, is a good example of this. I wouldn't call her "cute" - not as an insult, but because there's nothing childlike about her. Nor is she butch. But she does look good in menswear.

1632439206432.png

1632439259160.png

1632439306382.png

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are people here goldfish? Is it odd to remember a post from six months ago? How do you guys have careers that involve your brain? I remember posts here from ten years ago.

I disagree that the outcomes for a woman in menswear are either "cute" or "butch." I've posted many examples of what I think is good womenswear in that thread. Don't want to post a bunch of those photos here, but those interested can go look.

I find it odd that you would remember my posts from six months ago, but not in a bad way. I am quite flattered. I must leave quite and impression on you. I didn't realize you followed my contributions this much. I knew you hated my green strands, but I'll take this as at least marginally complimentary, at least.

As for the binary here: I think it actually is quite close to this dichotomy. You either have an element of cuteness, such that the feminine shines through in one way or another - even in that model pic, the girl has some element of childish cuteness, which is what a lot of men say, find Emma Watson attractive for - or you end up just going butch, without even an attempt to retain the feminine in a meaningful way. There might be marginal hints at the feminine in some butch looks, but they are overwhelmed by the masculine aesthetic.

Lady-Gaga-crop28.jpg

Consider Lady Gaga's **********ing phase for You and I. Here she attempts to utterly masculinize for the sake of the character.

You also brought up pants earlier. You'll also note that pants, despite originally being a masculine item, have been made explicitly to be cuter for women, more flattering to their shape, etc.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Sonya, Hugo Jacomet's wife, is a good example of this. I wouldn't call her "cute" - not as an insult, but because there's nothing childlike about her. Nor is she butch. But she does look good in menswear.

View attachment 1674109

View attachment 1674113

View attachment 1674116

I love Hugo Jacomet. I also love his wife Sonia. I do not think, however, that her style - even if it embraces a very conservative masculine look in many respects - is expressive of a purely masculine look. Her attempt there blends the feminine into the masculine in a way that, I still say, emphasizes the femininity through a certain cuteness - she doesn't come off as attempting to BE a man, but is decidedly a woman dressing mannishly. This once again works because as a woman, she approximates a certain similarity to the masculine at a certain stage in its development, which means that the style doens't entirely clash with that inherent femininity, that already tracks that underdevelopment of certain features (neoteny) from childhood into adulthood.

Conversely, if Hugo were to wear a dress, even with that luxurious hair of his, he'd look like a fool.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
I have a pair of Vans authentics in this color, which they call navy. I wear these while commuting with chinos and often wear a sport coat on top and I think they are very easy to pair. I think in general low profile canvas sneakers are easier to pair. I also think white shoes are usually too high contrast and a colored sneaker is easier

1632439632397.jpeg

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear sneakers with something like Kiton or Cesare Attolini though.
From the Kiton FW 2021/22 lookbook (among many others)

8C2AD303-8AAE-444E-BFBA-6EEB68A39051.jpeg

From the Cessre Attolini FW2021/22 lookbook:

lighter

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the Kiton FW 2021/22 lookbook (among many others)

From the Cessre Attolini FW2021/22 lookbook:

lighter

Honestly, the brothel creepers are even more offensive to me than the snakers. Igh.

Brothel creepers are...........no thanks.

Sneakers at least have some space in the world of fashion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads