• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
R-342_NYDolls_Johnny_David1973_Gruen.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is this your new autumn look, Dieworkwear?

image-1.jpeg

Cause it seems you like straw men.

I am not saying women are a subset of men (and you know this, but you're run out of logical responses). I am saying this:

Prior to puberty (childhood), there is not much difference, physically, between boys and girls besides the sex organs and such.
Neotenous features track childhood.
Feminine features track neotenous features.
Masculine features do not track neotenous features.
Therefore, women more closely approximate pre-adult boys.

Even if you have a woman displaying prominent secondary sexual characteristics (as in curvaceous women), the neotenous elements of the feminine are usually still prominent, allowing the style to be "cute".

I am not "agreeing" with pederasts. I am pointing out the pederastic elements expressive in that model's style. She is clearly attempting to affect the look of an adolescent boy.

Florence_-_David_by_Donatello.jpg

Very famous example of pederast elements in art. Note how a boy's figure is (accurately) depicted as being more closely feminine.

Or how about this:

Why is Peter Pan played often by a woman?

Why is Bart Simpson voiced by a woman?

Again, what does this have to do with why women can look good in menswear? According to you, busty women with full hips don't look like children. Yet, many women with such figures look good in menswear-inspired items.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, what does this have to do with why women can look good in menswear? According to you, busty women with full hips don't look like children. Yet, many women with such figures look good in menswear-inspired items.

I've already given you the answer to this, but I will state this again:

Feminine features track neoteny. Even when women have sexual dimorphic features, the feminine retains neotenous elements.

Facial shape
Smaller bodies
Softer voices
Very little bone structural changes except the widening of the hips/pelvis.
Even things like eyelash length. (Have you ever noticed how children tend to have really long eye lashes?)

Thus even if a woman has a more obviously feminine build, she still has the neotenous features to look cute. Cute is something that almost exclusively belongs to women as an aesthetic. Why? Because they are more child-like (neotenous) in appearance.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've already given you the answer to this, but I will state this again:

Feminine features track neoteny. Even when women have sexual dimorphic features, the feminine retains neotenous elements.

Facial shape
Smaller bodies
Softer voices
Very little bone structural changes except the widening of the hips/pelvis.
Even things like eyelash length. (Have you ever noticed how children tend to have really long eye lashes?)

Thus even if a woman has a more obviously feminine build, she still has the neotenous features to look cute. Cute is something that almost exclusively belongs to women as an aesthetic. Why? Because they are more child-like (neotenous) in appearance.

Have no idea how to respond. I don't think of femininity as being cute, childlike, or little boyish. That seems bizarre.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have no idea how to respond. I don't think of femininity as being cute, childlike, or little boyish. That seems bizarre.

Feminine women in masculine garb frequently can pull it off as they look cute. They don't look exactly masculine. Cuteness is closely related to neoteny - childish features retained into adulthood. Cuteness is correlated with childishness.

I am not saying cute = little boyish. I am saying that cute = childish. As a result of being childish, that -does- approximate the sexual lack of distinctions amongst boys and girls, and that allows for women to affect an adolescent boy look. Men, meanwhile, are on the whole, incapable of looking cute because of their LACK of neotenous features. This is part of the reason that men can't pull off feminine looks nearly as well.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Feminine women in masculine garb frequently can pull it off as they look cute. They don't look exactly masculine. Cuteness is closely related to neoteny - childish features retained into adulthood. Cuteness is correlated with childishness.

I just don't think of "cute" as being the dominant dimension on which to judge women's style.

But when I think about your posts in the "How I Would Like a Woman To Dress" thread ... it makes sense that you hold this view. It's just not how I think of the wide world of womenswear. There are lots of women's fashion that I enjoy that have nothing to do with looking "cute." But I imagine you probably don't like those styles.

I'm more into feminine fashion on women.

c0b5a75fc2e7e043c0a12f403329113f.jpg
m-zooey-deschanel-hot-style-620x930c.jpg
the-flash-3x04-caitlin-dress.jpg

Kate-Middleton-Wearing-Blue-Coats.jpg

Alexandra-Daddario-Ponytail-Hairstyle.jpg

6a00e54fe4158b883301bb0a037327970d-pi

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think any of this has to do with why women can look good in menswear. I think it's mostly about gender anxiety among men. Especially in today's age, where some men are increasingly anxious about gender identification as some people are questioning those norms. So they seek out narrower and more clearly defined parameters for how to express masculinity. It's similar to why we have "man laundry detergents" and other gendered things that don't need to be gendered.

The reason why women can wear masculine things is because fashion has been historically coded as a feminine interest. Men are supposed to live a life of the mind; vanity is for women. Even if all genders participate in fashion, the interest itself is coded as feminine. And so, women are given freer reign in fashion.

Women of all shapes, sizes, and body types can wear masculine clothing and look good in it. Putting the caveat that I don't agree with pederasts (can't believe I have to type this), I don't think that women with smaller breasts are the only people who can wear masculine fashion (and I don't agree that femininity is defined by your breast size). It's just that thinner women are often used as models, so we'll often find those photos online. But when you go out into society, you see all types of women wearing masculine things, and many of them look good. You have women who are very busty who wear masculine items; women are are not busty who wear masculine items. It's not about "who looks like a 13 year old boy." And, again, with the caveat that gender expression in clothing changes over time -- pants were once considered a masculine item.

You just don't see this happening much in menswear because clothing is social. What we consider "good" is often socially defined. And historically, the band in which menswear operates is much narrower. But that doesn't mean that men haven't worn fem clothing and looked good in it. Or that you can't apply to same logic in womenswear as you can in menswear. Lots of guys look even more masculine in fem-ish items.

The guys who look best in Belgian shoes are often very masculine looking because you see a contrast between the femininity of their shoes and the masculinity of their physical appearance. There's also something very "macho" about a guy who's so confident in his masculinity that he's OK with wearing a slightly more feminine item.

View attachment 1674073 View attachment 1674074 View attachment 1674075

Nobody ever looked good in Leopardskin, except maybe Leopards who wear it specifically not to be seen ?

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don't think of "cute" as being the dominant dimension on which to judge women's style.

But when I think about your posts in the "How I Would Like a Woman To Dress" thread ... it makes sense that you hold this view. It's just not how I think of the wide world of womenswear. There are lots of women's fashion that I enjoy that have nothing to do with looking "cute." But I imagine you probably don't like those styles.

You either have a really good memory or you really like me. That thread was like, six months ago.

I am not saying that all women's wear looks cute. But I am saying that if a woman is going to wear men's clothing, it's going to have some element of cute, or it will end up looking butch, which is decidedly not an attractive look.

Some people choose butch specifically for lifestyle and orientational reasons. I get that. But that is explicitly to emphasize the masculine to the point of annihilating the feminine, as expressive of a sort of sexual and gender identity issue.

But yes, I like cute girls.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A decade ago, sharing a picture of a women wearing menswear would have elicited some thoughtful discussion and some unfortunate wolf-whistling.

Now it elicits… male fragility?

speak for yourself pal. I’m looking studly right now chilling in my chair with an intense look and wearing my leopard print Belgian loafers.

*******! I’m hungry. Going to kill something and eat it. Peace out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads