• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Styleforum Ari

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Would you wear sneakers with tailoring?

IMG_8926.jpeg

@StylebyLinus

9ac0e66c-d155-4d06-887c-355a586e2884-jpeg.1230205

@EFV

img_5708-jpg.1204969

@macjedi

f85efda1-8bcb-4f72-b7c1-bb1c32154478-jpeg.1150222

@UrbanComposition

Goofy

Reaction score
Absolutely. I’m a big fan of sneakers with sport coats.

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If it's not a suit, I'd imagine that some form of trainers can work with some tailored clothing.

The more general contention is that tailoring is formal in nature whilst trainers are informal in nature. In order to bridge the gap, drop the formality on the tailoring (so, no suits, and more casual cut/details/etc.) and up the formality of the trainers.

Some examples:
Leather trainers (e.g. Crown Northampton)?
British Vintage style trainers (Norman Walsh, Gola )?
Archibald London GTMO (see below)?

.... we would like to create a sneaker made in complete collaboration with the community, which we will sell to the community at cost. We estimate that would be $128 dollars, for a hand-cut, handmade Italian leather sneaker (to clarify: our sneakers use hand cut leather, they are mounted by hand, and stitched by a hand-operated machine). ....

Hellbent

Reaction score
It works with casual suits (linen, cotton). Not a fan, at all, of those new fancy sneakers though. For me it has to be canvas. I like Superega best because they are fairly sleek. Vans and Keds have too high soleguard. Makes them look chunky and less elegant, imho.
The look do become very casual. Much more so than with a sport coat, trousers and loafers. The shoe choice does have a very strong influence on the total level of formality.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why?

so much is made here of coherence and I cannot think of anything more inchorent than what’s pictured above.

The third gentleman down may as well be telling the world “I’m old and I can’t wear regular shoes because my bunions hurt.”

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I think this is a very aspirational look. Those of us with trained eyes know this looks much better than more traditional ugly oxfords. Dressing like this lets the world know that you are not new to wearing clothing.

085247A6-9329-47A3-BA48-1B176724561A.jpeg

Last edited:

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I can't stand the look, especially on men 30+.

I think the look is good if you are a 28 year old petite male in an urban social or very laid back work environment.

maybe not so good for a 62 year old with a larger frame in a business environment where projecting a different type of image is needed.

Last edited:

Mirage-

Reaction score
I'm gonna say maybe this time. The common projects look-alike have honestly been spammed so much online, often with tailoring, and I can't bear seeing them again; but I'm not sure at this point whether it's because I don't like the look or because it's greatly overdone. Though personally I think off-white and/or suede might work better than pure white, which is often too bright and too stark a contrast for my taste. It's incredible how much it attracts the eye, and then if you wear tailoring on top it seems like it's intentionally flaunting the formality contrast rather than harmonizing and fading out into the outfit as a whole.
Recently I've been appreciating Japanese canvas sneakers more after seeing Crompton or the guys from the Armoury wear them a lot. Probably wouldn't wear them with a suit though, but maybe with odd jackets; actually, not at all because there's no option to buy them here (EU) that isn't outrageously expensive (no, I am not going to buy them at double the japanese domestic price, thank you very much. I'll just buy a pair of leather loafers at that point). Haven't found a pair of the local alternative (Superga) that I like, most have invasive branding, and stubby shapes too. Maybe some low-top retro Converse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads