Sneakers with some support?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by cmrocks, Jul 23, 2006.

1. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior member

I've been doing a lot of walking lately (moved out and now have no car) and I need some more supportive shoes. I've mostly been wearing low top chucks and vans slip ons which kill my feet after a while. I need something with a bit of support. Also, is there much for sneakers out there that add height? I like how dress shoes usually make me 1" - 1.5" taller. My chucks add almost no height at all.

Any suggestions?

2. familyman

familyman Senior member

Running shoes will do all you suggest but at the likely cost of stylishness. New Balance running shoes have been a bit in style as of late. Check out http://www.classicsportshoes.com/index.html for shoes like the Nikes below. Sizes are limited but a vintage running shoe, a true running shoe with actual padding should fit the bill. [​IMG] Edit: To add that song 'these boots are made for walking' Think about it. A good pair of lace up boots with nice squishy insoles is great for putting on the miles. A pair of redwings or the like. Last for years, great patina with age, all weather stuff. Everybody should have a good pair of boots. But if you really want sneaks then ignore this and see the above. [​IMG]

3. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

I agree with familyman. Modern running shoes offer more support than Chucks and Vans at the expense of style (the New Balance 990/991/992 is a happy medium), but boots are a little better when it comes to support.

4. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Common Projects are the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn and add a little height. Just spent a weekend running around NYC with a pair (or three) and my feet have never felt better.

5. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

Adidas Daragora (or something like that, not the dragons though) are super suportive, its like wearing a sock with arch support. They are super easy to walk for a long time in, tight, and comfortable. They look pretty decent too.

6. Joe E Taleo

Joe E Taleo Senior member

A good way to keep wearing your favorite if unsupportive sneakers is to stick inserts in them. For running I use superfeet inserts, which I'm sure you could stick in your sneaks to make them more comfortable.

7. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

A good way to keep wearing your favorite if unsupportive sneakers is to stick inserts in them. For running I use superfeet inserts, which I'm sure you could stick in your sneaks to make them more comfortable.

This is what I do. I also have fairly extreme arches, so there are tons of shoes I never used to be able to wear at all, but inserts solved all that. I bear witness for Dr. Scholl's!