Sneakers: PF Flyers v. Converse All Stars

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by docgerrard, Mar 14, 2010.

1. docgerrard

docgerrard Well-Known Member

I want to spend no more than $50 (that rules out the Cousy varieties of the PF Flyers) Which one should I get? I searched the forums and couldn't find a recent one on one comparison between the two. Also, are there any better recommendations? Finally, can I use either of these shoes as running shoes? That would be perfect because I also need a pair of running shoes. Thanks for your help! EDIT: I AM MOSTLY REFERRING TO THE CONVERSE ALL STAR CHUCK TAYLORS VS. PF FLYERS CENTER-HI I like these because they can take wear and tear and this doesn't detract from the look at all, just adds a bit of personality [​IMG]

2. alexwgoody

alexwgoody Senior member

Finally, can I use either of these shoes as running shoes? That would be perfect because I also need a pair of running shoes.

[/quote]
    Not a chance.

3. docgerrard

haha, yeah not sure, just kept seeing them marketed as athletic shoes and didn't really know what that meant

4. docgerrard

i guess one big thing is that converses are about 10 dollars cheaper.. are pf flyers different enough for this to be worth it?

i noticed that the flyers have a really thick looking bottom. does this look weird in real life? i haven't had a chance to compare them side by side yet

5. Listi

Listi Senior member

i guess one big thing is that converses are about 10 dollars cheaper.. are pf flyers different enough for this to be worth it?

i noticed that the flyers have a really thick looking bottom. does this look weird in real life? i haven't had a chance to compare them side by side yet

Yeah, it looks weird. Some of the pricier pf flyers kick ass, but the ones that are similar to converse are weird.

6. slipgun

slipgun Well-Known Member

PF Flyers look fine irl. I like the tractor tread ones personally and much prefer them to chucks, both lookswise and comfortwise. The insole helps a lot and they'd make better running shoes, but I can't say I recommend using them as such.

7. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Wearing PF albins in plum wrinkled leather right now. Way, way better than any chucks I've ever seen. [​IMG]

8. graphicd

graphicd Member

6PM actually has really good pricing on PF Flyers. Most are under $40.

9. snuff_daddy

snuff_daddy Senior member

10. splattered

splattered Senior member

I have three pairs of PF cousy low in size US8 or US9 (forget) that im gonna sell for cheap, ive only worn em like 1-2 weeks. Navy, Red, and Black.

I like them just as much as chucks but they are diff... a lil more preppy i guess. Sorta like chucks vs purcells.

11. jet

jet Persian Bro

Another great shitty thread.

12. CrimProf

CrimProf Well-Known Member

I wear the PF Flyers (bought for <$50 at 6pm.com). I've considered both, but the PFs I got had exactly the look I wanted and they're a very comfortable shoe.

I wouldn't use my PFs as both running shoes and casual shoes. They might work ok in a pinch as runners, not that I've ever tried them as such, but they look like they're designed as a court shoe (i.e., smooth tread). And running beats the shit out of my regular running shoes--not only just from the pounding on the air cushions and the tread wear, but also the accumulated grime, sweat, and other crap. I usually have to replace them every 3-6 months.

13. flyindarkness

flyindarkness Senior member

converse by John varvatos
    better insole.

14. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

PF Flyers are miles better in the comfort department. For some of the Chuck Taylor clones it's pretty much your call because I wear the All-Americans and a lot of people talk about my fake Converse. But some of the higher end PF Flyers are actually really nice. Like this one [​IMG]

15. laughter95

laughter95 Senior member

what is that model called?