• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers -> "Nicer" shoes

goodbottom

Reaction score
I currently wear sneakers. I talk the bus and subway, so my shoes get kicked and stepped on by others.

I would like to get "nicer" shoes (i.e. dress shoes), but I don't want it to look like crap after a week of getting stepped on and kicked (that's why I try to avoid shoes with white on them).

I'm looking to spend a maximum of $300. What should I look for in a dress shoe that will hold up to the grind of daily public transit?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you clean and polish your shoes they'll be fine. Just be more careful around people. I watch where I stand and very rarely does anybody step on me.

goodbottom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
If you clean and polish your shoes they'll be fine. Just be more careful around people. I watch where I stand and very rarely does anybody step on me.

Thank you acecow.

Should I buy multiple shoes and rotate them each day so they hold up better over time?

The subway can become a sardine can very quickly during the busy hours, so it's difficult in those situations to avoid getting kicked and stepped on.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by goodbottom
Thank you acecow.

Should I buy multiple shoes and rotate them each day so they hold up better over time?

The subway can become a sardine can very quickly during the busy hours, so it's difficult in those situations to avoid getting kicked and stepped on.

It would be good if you could at least afford two, to rotate daily. If your feet sweat a lot, three would be better. Don't forget shoe trees!

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it is a bit like when people do not like using a tie because it dips into the soup: once you get used to wearing a tie, suddenly it does not happen that often.
I use public transport a lot and so far, no major harm to my shoes.
And good shoes can stand people stepping on them now and then. It is just a matter of polishing them once there are too many traces of stepping.
And if you do not like polishing, why not try suede shoes?

goodbottom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Maybe it is a bit like when people do not like using a tie because it dips into the soup: once you get used to wearing a tie, suddenly it does not happen that often.
I use public transport a lot and so far, no major harm to my shoes.
And good shoes can stand people stepping on them now and then. It is just a matter of polishing them once there are too many traces of stepping.
And if you do not like polishing, why not try suede shoes?

How often would you suggest one polish their shoes?

Can suede shoes be worn out in the rain/snow without damage?

(I remember watching Seinfeld and Jerry had his jacket ruined by snow).

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How often would you suggest one polish their shoes?

Can suede shoes be worn out in the rain/snow without damage?

(I remember watching Seinfeld and Jerry had his jacket ruined by snow).

But that was because Seinfeld had chosen a suede jacket with a pink lining, and his father-Ãn-law (wasn't it) refused to let him turn it inside out to protect the suede from rain...

Actually, I had always heard that suede should be protected from rain, but my experience is that suede shoes, or at least many suede shoes, are from a suede rough enough to stand rain and snow. Actually, I often use suede shoes or ankle boots when it rains, so as not to have to polish my "normal" leather shoes. And when I travel to snowy places on business, I also prefer suede footwear, as long as the dress code allows for it.

I tend to spend less on suede shoes than on other leather shoes, as I find that suede ages worse than normal leather.

How often to polish the shoes? I polish them when I think they look like they demand it. But I am no shoe fanatic.

goodbottom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
But that was because Seinfeld had chosen a suede jacket with a pink lining, and his father-Ãn-law (wasn't it) refused to let him turn it inside out to protect the suede from rain...

Actually, I had always heard that suede should be protected from rain, but my experience is that suede shoes, or at least many suede shoes, are from a suede rough enough to stand rain and snow. Actually, I often use suede shoes or ankle boots when it rains, so as not to have to polish my "normal" leather shoes. And when I travel to snowy places on business, I also prefer suede footwear, as long as the dress code allows for it.

I tend to spend less on suede shoes than on other leather shoes, as I find that suede ages worse than normal leather.

How often to polish the shoes? I polish them when I think they look like they demand it. But I am no shoe fanatic.

Thank you for the greater responses epa.

It was Elaine's father I think.

What should I look for in a good suede boot/shoe? Any specific brand(s)? Are they good to wear in warm months, or just colder months?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the greater responses epa.

It was Elaine's father I think.

What should I look for in a good suede boot/shoe? Any specific brand(s)? Are they good to wear in warm months, or just colder months?

Right, her father it was!

It is difficult to recommend brands; as you can see in this forum, there are a lot of opinions. Most of my suede shoes and ankle boots are Carmina, which I am happy with, but it is a local (Spanish) brand and difficult to find abroad. I have a pair of Santoni ankle boots that I like a lot (and which is in fact very resistive to bad weather), but it may just be my feet and personal taste. I also have a pair of Hugo Boss dark grey ankle boots which I bought on sale and which I am fairly happy with, although you really feel that the quality is not the same.

I use suede both in winter and in summer, but not always the same shoes. I have a pair of kind of tan Santoni suede laceups which I only use in summer (they are kind of light-weight); by rubber soled suede Carmina derbies I only wear in autumn/winter; I have a pair of double monkstrap Carmina suede leather sole shoes which I use all year around. It really depends on the shoe.

Don't take my advice as advice from an expert on shoes, but just as info from a consumer who is happy with his suede shoes and who uses them also in the crowded L1 metro line in Madrid, now and then.

goodbottom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Right, her father it was!

It is difficult to recommend brands; as you can see in this forum, there are a lot of opinions. Most of my suede shoes and ankle boots are Carmina, which I am happy with, but it is a local (Spanish) brand and difficult to find abroad. I have a pair of Santoni ankle boots that I like a lot (and which is in fact very resistive to bad weather), but it may just be my feet and personal taste. I also have a pair of Hugo Boss dark grey ankle boots which I bought on sale and which I am fairly happy with, although you really feel that the quality is not the same.

I use suede both in winter and in summer, but not always the same shoes. I have a pair of kind of tan Santoni suede laceups which I only use in summer (they are kind of light-weight); by rubber soled suede Carmina derbies I only wear in autumn/winter; I have a pair of double monkstrap Carmina suede leather sole shoes which I use all year around. It really depends on the shoe.

Don't take my advice as advice from an expert on shoes, but just as info from a consumer who is happy with his suede shoes and who uses them also in the crowded L1 metro line in Madrid, now and then.

Thank you epa.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Leather shoes are more durable than you think. You just need to give them a little care every so often.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
if your concerned on how something might hold up or what might be different than your sneakers, why not pickup a used pair of allen edmonds from the classifieds. for 50 or under you can get a good feel for what your up against.

I also take alot of public trans, and yes you do get stepped on and such. this goes down with nice shoes A) because your going to be a bit more careful and B) others seem to be a bit more careful as well

dasai

Reaction score
I ride trains in Japan and don't have too much of a problem. Do the platform attendants who pack people in at your station manhandle you?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I currently wear sneakers. I talk the bus and subway, so my shoes get kicked and stepped on by others.

I would like to get "nicer" shoes (i.e. dress shoes), but I don't want it to look like crap after a week of getting stepped on and kicked (that's why I try to avoid shoes with white on them).

I'm looking to spend a maximum of $300. What should I look for in a dress shoe that will hold up to the grind of daily public transit?

In your price range ... and if you live in America ... I suggest Aldens or Allen-Edmonds. I only say if you live in America as I understand these are more expensive in Europe, Asia, and elsewhere.

BTW when I'm in New York I often use the subway ... and I rarely get kicked and stepped on by others ... neither do my shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads