• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers in the washer?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bunch of friends and I took a hike through a river and you can imagine the condition our sneakers were in after we were done. One girl said that after cleaning them out, she tosses them in the washer and then the dryer. How do you guys clean abused sneakers? I couldn't quite find the old threads where this was discussed.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a foam party with an old pair of Superstars. The next day they smelled sooo bad, I just left them outside for a week to let them air out. Perhaps if they're really rank, cleanse it out with some water then let it air dry for a week or so? That is if you really don't care about the condition of the sneaker anymore and just want to wear them without having them stink.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i've throw my slipon vans in the washing machine bc i wear them with out socks when i wear shorts, which is quite often in the hot summer heat. i throw some detergent and baking soda in there (to deodorize) then just let them air dry sometimes i'll put more baking soda in the shoe after i take them out of the wash to absorb in last odor traces that might have been left, just depends how much effort i want to put into it that day.

i've also done it with a pair of nike shocks.

i wouldn't but them in the dryer, bc you have the potential to dry out the leather or burn the rubber, or worse shrink the uppers.

to prevent future odor problems i suggest putting foot powder or plain old baking soda in the shoes even when you're wearing them.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
I've washed my sneakers in the washing machine a bunch of times. I take the laces off and replace them though. For some reason they do not clean up so well - even w/ a bunch of bleach. Let them air dry.

vanity

Reaction score
I wash my pumas all the time. As long as they're not leather or suede, they're washer-bait.

corbu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vanity
I wash my pumas all the time. As long as they're not leather or suede, they're washer-bait.
i've thrown my suede superstars in the washer and dryer a few times and never had a problem with them

StevenRocks

Reaction score
With fabric uppers and synthetic leather, you're fine in the washer. With leather, use sneaker cleaner. With suede, suede cleaner. In either case, let them air-dry. Dryers aren't good for sneakers.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
what material are the sneakers?
Your basic Sambas.

I rinsed them and left them outside to air dry since I have some stuff to do and can't get to the washer just now. They, um, froze.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads