1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sneakers I could wear to the office with a suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rgeftman, Jul 19, 2007.

1. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

Are rubber soles that important?

I walk at least 7 to 10 kilometers during work because a car would be useless with all the traffic present and leather soles and then after work at least another 10 kilometers are put on often the same boots and comfort hhas never been a problem.

2. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

To that end, does anyone have any suggestions about Chelseas that have rubber soles and look good while not being so hip that they'll be out of style in six months?
    Check out the RM Williams thread; a kangaroo leather chelsea with no rear seam and a rubber sole might be the dressy but sporty thing you're looking for.

Gary Drinkwater over here in Boston recommends Paraboot for that look, too.

Scarphe: I figured he was doing a lot of running around inside the office, too.

Lpwb32 (can we cut it with the code word usernames?): In fairness, maybe the title that referred to sneakers with suits was misleading in an exaggerated way.

3. lpwb32

lpwb32 Senior member

Lpwb32 (can we cut it with the code word usernames?): In fairness, maybe the title that referred to sneakers with suits was misleading in an exaggerated way.

my full name is louis pendragon wickerbottom but i thought lpwb was more efficient.

4. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I appreciate all of the business world's VIPs for taking time out of their days to reply to my original post.

Fact is that there are some horrible dressers at my company -- and I see more of them around the greater Wall Street area whenever I don't have a lunch meeting and have time to go out and grab lunch, so I'm not sure the issue's specific to my company.

If I had an important meeting with an outside client or even someone at my company I was trying to win favor with, I would wear shoes and a suit (of course). But on most days, when I'm doing work at my desk and/or meeting with members of my team, there's less need to wear that same "uniform."

Thanks for all of the serious suggestions (e.g., Paul Smith, Steven Alan, rubber sole shoes, JM Weston, upcoming Pumas) -- I'm going to check them out.

I think some Chelseas might be in my future..

To that end, does anyone have any suggestions about Chelseas that have rubber soles and look good while not being so hip that they'll be out of style in six months?

No need to be snippy at people who are simply answering a question you asked.

I would never wear sneakers of any type with a suit, in the same way I would never wear leather captoes when playing basketball. Just because the others in the office dress horribly, does not mean that you need to also. Regular business dress shoes are not that much of a commitment. yes, sneakers are more comfortable but then why bother with the suit? Wear shorts and a tank top, how more comfortable can you get. Just like some of the others here, I work in the NYC finance industry and a person wearing sneakers would definitely stand outm and not in the good way, at any of the companies where i have worked. if you don't care or if your job is super laid back, then it doesn't really matter. If you do care enought to wear a suit, why put sneakers on?

There are uniforms in all aspects of life. The streetwear guys wear a uniform, you wear a uniform in sports, and the business world wears a uniform.

5. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

The streetwear guys wear a uniform
    Oooooh!

6. farfisa23

farfisa23 Senior member

I think some Chelseas might be in my future..

I just bought some Zegna Chelsea boots with a half rubber/half leather sole. They are pretty great, I must say. Zegna makes good shoes, I think they are made by the same Ferragamo people? I think. Will post a thread on that asap.

7. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

Doc Martins? I have 2 or 3 pairs of wingtip type that I guess one could pull off at the office. I match with some jeans but they could look the part in a stretch.

8. Dracon

Dracon Well-Known Member

Sneakers and a suit? What next, black dress and yellow rain boots? :p

9. b-me

b-me Member

I first suggest that you not wear a suit with sneakers. I would go a little more casual with a pair of khakis and a button down shirt since the dress code is business casual. I would pair that with sneakers from Common Projects or Lanvin.

10. scruff

scruff Senior member

I first suggest that you not wear a suit with sneakers. I would go a little more casual with a pair of khakis and a button down shirt since the dress code is business casual. I would pair that with sneakers from Common Projects or Lanvin.

uhhhhh...

11. dl20

dl20 Senior member

Just take off the skirt and wear a pair of captoes. When you get home put on a pair of women's uggz boots to rest your little fellas [​IMG]

dl

12. JR88

JR88 Senior member

uhhhhh...

random

13. mt_spiffy

mt_spiffy Senior member

In the entertainment industry, it seems tennis shoes with suits are common. I've never been a fan of it myself. I look for any excuse I can to wear some of my favorite dress shoes, so, why tennis shoes? If I want to be more casual, I replace the suit pants with designer jeans, and keep the tie, shirt, and usually the dress shoes as well.

But I digress. When I was first being schooled in contemporary "upscale urban" fashion, I was taught that a pair of K-Swiss Classics are appropriate with any outfit, from a full suit and tie to a t-shirt and jeans.

14. academe

academe Senior member

I know they don't get very much love here, but I have had some Prada Sport and Miu Miu sneaker hybrid-type shoes. I hadn't tried wearing them with a suit, although I think you might be able to pull it off depending on the cut of the shoe and the suit. I would also second the Paul Smith recommendation; also seen some nice hybrids by Raf Simons, Jil Sander, Neil Barrett and Alexander McQueen for Puma. Are you looking for something like this?

http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/NEIL+B...s/searchResult

15. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

I have a pair of Mephisto shoes that are more comfortable than any pair of sneakers I own. Look for the "Gaetan" Model.

I bought them last summer on the recommendation of someone here and they have been serving me very very well.

16. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

any recs for an entry level chelseas?

17. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

Are rubber soles that important?

I walk at least 7 to 10 kilometers during work because a car would be useless with all the traffic present and leather soles and then after work at least another 10 kilometers are put on often the same boots and comfort hhas never been a problem.

You walk 20 km a day on leather soles?

I doubt any but my double leather soles would even last 20km, much less 20km a day.

I walk around 30 BLOCKS a day and prefer to do it in running shoes rather than leather dress shoes.

18. valejo

valejo Well-Known Member

Have you tired some Clark Wallabies in black leather, those are comfy, casual and look great with everything. http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/6432159/c/72.html

I think they look great with nothing.

19. rafaellove

rafaellove Member

This is neither a necessary remark, nor a clever quip.

Anyhow, Paul Smith makes a few "hybrid" shoes that may be up your alley. They look better in person than on the website -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these would be in black or brown, obviously -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also think lacoste made/makes a wingtip sneaker that straddles the line.

anyone knows where i can find these white paul smith hybrid wingtip oxfords / sneakers? i want these i want these i want these [​IMG] !!!

20. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

I'm not sure I'm thinking about this to be trendy, Tarmac, but.. Allen Edmonds stopped making the Walton, which was my favorite shoe.. and I guess I'm also just trying to take control of what I wear instead of going with the status quo.

I think I might be more of a sneakers guy than a shoes guy..

I'd also like to get to a point where, at the end of the day, the first thing I want to do isn't change into jeans and a t-shirt and either Red Wing boots or sneakers.

this is pathetic