• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sneakers: Black vs. White

PeterParker

Reaction score
I'm currently rebuilding my wardrobe, starting with the essentials, one of which is a pair of kick-around sneakers.

I really like the Adidas Nizzas:

The problem is I can't decide whether black or white would be more practical. I read the earlier thread about the shoes that a man needs and the jury was out as far as an essential pair of sneakers. If I had to choose one pair to purchase, which one would you suggest?

Another thing to consider is that I live in the pacific northwest where it's always wet so keeping a white shoes white requires tip-toeing around puddles.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really do not like either of those sneakers at all, but in general I much prefer white sneakers to black, because you can wear white with all types of colors, unlike black.

The shoes you posted though have black throughout them, so my original point is moot, as I would still only wear them with black.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think white sneakers worn it looks good. the pristine white look makes it look you just bought it. i dont like either. i'd say look into spring courts. really comfortable, fit well, good quality (zimbabwe cotton), and look simplistic and good. i've also heard a lot about superga although haven't tried on myself. if you don't have any money i've seen h&m plimsoles that are pretty cheap and look simple.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like the Nizza model. And if the weather aint too great around you, you should think about getting all leather white sneakers instead of canvas.

sjnv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i think white sneakers worn it looks good. the pristine white look makes it look you just bought it. i dont like either. i'd say look into spring courts. really comfortable, fit well, good quality (zimbabwe cotton), and look simplistic and good. i've also heard a lot about superga although haven't tried on myself. if you don't have any money i've seen h&m plimsoles that are pretty cheap and look simple.

Didn't know Spring Courts were made with Zimbabwe cotton... interesting

ataboada

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
I really do not like either of those sneakers at all, but in general I much prefer white sneakers to black, because you can wear white with all types of colors, unlike black.

The shoes you posted though have black throughout them, so my original point is moot, as I would still only wear them with black.

You can wear black with everything as well!

tatet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ataboada
You can wear black with everything as well!

You really can't, white is much more versatile

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of either pair. Why don't you try something from either TST (you can find some cool styles on Yoox) or try a pair of the K-Swiss and Yigal Azrouel collaboration. Those run for about $140. Neither have the quality of materials found in brands like Common Projects (very popular here) or Neil Barrett (my favorites when they do not go all patent and metallic ala Lanvin), but they are also much more affordable, and might fit your tastes, from what you've shown us. They are alsp a notch up in any number of ways, and more versatile to boot. Try an off primary color like grey or dirty beige instead of straight up black and white. If you want an accent pair, try something blue or burnt red. Also, regardless of whether you sneakers are $40 or $600, do not "tiptoe" around puddles. Sneakers, like leather jackets, are meant to be beat up and worn in and worn down. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, it will show.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
Always bet on black. I'm a sneaker head and both of those look killer, However the ruberguarded chuck style shoes r really played out. These look decently original though.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 128 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 234 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 115 15.7%
  • 31 - 40