1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Snappy Auctions - will sell your stuff on eBay

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jim, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Jim

Jim Senior Member

I recently discovered SnappyAuctions, a service that sells your stuff on eBay. Â I used them to sell some Oxxford suits and Alden shoes and the moved them quickly. Â They are in most major cities (or will be soon) and are also at www.snappyauctions.com.

2. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

I looked into a couple of these and was amazed at the high fees they charge. Sure, they have to take pictures and write descriptions, but still -- 30% off the top seemed to be the norm from what I saw.

3. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

30% is not enough - a brick and mortar consignment store would charge you 50% for a small fraction of the work, and they don't have to pay 10-15% off the top to ebay/paypal. At 30% I think it is a losing proposition for the consignment company...

4. mack11211

mack11211 Distinguished Member

Although I have no experience with snappyauctions in particular, I must say I like ebay auction dropoff companies -- as a buyer. Many, indeed, most, don't know how to sell clothing, much less high-end clothing. Misspelled brand names, insufficient pictures, esoteric measurements or no measurements at all, etc. It's as if the amateurs have farmed out their amateurness to would-be professionals.

5. nsoltz1

nsoltz1 Member

Right about those eBay consignment places that don't know clothes-- got a 1 year old Zegna navy Su Misura with functional sleeve buttons-- maybe worn twice-- for a little over $200... From a buyer's point of view... love 'em.

Ned Soltz

6. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

One of those companies listed about 10 Paul Stuart used suits about 4 months ago -- all priced at something like $75 each. The descriptions and pictures were so awful that I don't think a single one was sold, must less saw any bidding action. They were relisted once, with the same lack of interest.

7. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Alright, this thread is just begging for blatant self promotion, sorry [​IMG] If you want to sell high-end clothing, best to post it here on the forum, or if you want it on ebay then go through a professional, eg. me....

8. JBZ

JBZ Distinguished Member

A Harris - if you truly wanted to self-promote, you should have said "i.e.", not "e.g." [​IMG]