• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snap Collar Shirt

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Just picked up my first snap-collar shirt (hidden snaps holding down the collar points) today and am wondering about the formality of this item.

It basically looks just like a straight-collar shirt but the snaps hold down the points like buttons on a button-down.

Question: Is this shirt more informal like an OBCD or more formal like a straight or spread collar?

I'm guessing it could possibly be either one.

Also, this shirt is from Nordstrom (got it at Last Chance) but what other makers have this type of shirt? Is it more common than I realize?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience (seen once) this is something put on by the tailor if the wearer wants it.

Sense it is not visible, I do not see why it would impact formality.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is visible insofar as the collar will lay differently than it would if weren't fastened to the body of the shirt. I'd say less formal.

skigo

Reaction score
where can i buy some snap-collar shirt's ?

DucesWild

Reaction score
also looking for a place to buy one of these shirts. I've only seen them a few times.

tlmusic

Reaction score
I have not seen a snap collar shirt in years. They were last truly popular in the late 1950s through early 1960s.

When I was a kid in college in the 1980s I used to buy vintage shirts at thrift stores for about a quarter a piece. The snap collar ones were especially desirable.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
snap collars seem to be quite formal to me, as they cannot be worn open collar
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads