• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snakes On A Plane

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just got back from first showing, my thoughts: I don't know what any of you who might go see this expect to see, but I went into it knowing full well that this movie caters to what some on this board would call "the lowest common denominator" I.E. regular people who like entertainment, not intellectual cinema snobs with no sense of humor, fun, or adventure. It's not supposed to be GOOD, per se. Its supposed to fulfill a particular fantasy that many people have that Samuel L. Jackson is the coolest, most bad-ass mofo around, and no matter what preposterous or unbelievable situation he may find himself in he will always prevail. This is the ultimate test of nerd fetishism gone main stream, because this movie should (if the people who make movies had anything to say about it) have either been aborted in its infancy or gone straight to video. The nerd community (Samuel L. Jackson included) found out about it and have embraced it with such vigor, that it became impossible for New Line to ignore it, and in fact re-shot a few parts of it to appeal more to the demographic in question. That being said... did it fulfill all my wildest dreams and expectations? Were the eight months of anticipation worth it? Was I whistling and clapping, screaming at the screen and having a great time? HELL YEAH. My grades: The Story = implausible to the nth degree. Does it matter? Not in the least. It did what it needed to do. The re-shot footage sticks out like a sore thumb, but since it is a direct nod to the "fan" community that made this movie as popular as it will inevitably be, it is empowering and gives you a reason to cheer loudly at the screen. This is OUR movie dammit, and the filmmakers know it(A-) The effects = The snakes look fake as hell, and this may be the first time I've ever said this, but I'm glad the CGI was cheap and phony looking, because if it were too polished, I'd feel cheated... There were numerous scientific and biological errors that any ten year old could probably point out, which only (in my opinon) served to add to the campy fun of the movie. And the "snake vision" cracked me the hell up every time they did it. The snake bite wounds are extremely gruesome, and there are a couple scenes that go all out with either cringing sympathy pain or gruesomeness. (B) The acting = This is where this movie shines. Sometimes the plot doesn't make sense, and the effects are cheesy, but everyone acting in this movie had a GREAT TIME making it. You can tell. To be honest, I can't really complain about anyone's acting chops, especially with the script that they had to work with, all the characters are basically broad, sweeping stereotypes, but This aint Shakespeare and everyone hams it up admirably. (B+) The Music = This is the only downer. It pretty much sucks. The music video at the end credits was so unbearable I left about 35 seconds into it. But the score is adequate, this is the only reason that it gets a (D+) Overall = A very solid B movie deserves a very solid (B) grade! P.S. Montecristo = Stay away. You will hate this. Go watch some Tenacious D videos instead...
smile.gif

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
of course you loved this movie.

Talking about snakes on a plane has become liek the stupid Chuck Norris thing. Personally, I'm so happy SLJ did this movie. Now he can finally shut the **** up. He no longer has any credibility as an actor or a person.

I totally agree with you that people should evaluate a movie for what it is, but I've hated Samuel L Jackson for many years, and for me at least, this is the final nail in the coffin.

Glad you liked it.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I wasn't planing to see this this film, as everyone I have talked to has said, Snakes on a plane, what the ****???

But after your reivew, maybe I will. I am a fan of Samuel Jackson. Guess I'll have to call up my movie school friend, see if she'll even spend the money to see it. Everyone i've talked to has said "I'll wait till it comes to DVD".

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's important which theater you go to see this film. Here in Austin, I went to the Alamo Drafthouse, a rather "alternative" theater that also serves beer. Everyone laughed at the "wrong" -- or right? -- parts, like when all the ridiculously implausible parts of the plot were exposed, when they first showed "Snake Vision" and of course the famous Samuel L. Jackson line "motherfucking snakes on a motherfucking plane".

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
The music video at the end credits was so unbearable I left about 35 seconds into it.
I hope you didn't miss out on anything at the end of the credits - therefore potentially depriving yourself of the full Snakes on a Plane experience.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You must tell me what happened at the end of the credits.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
of course you loved this movie.
And of course... you probably wont, being the stuffy killjoy that you are.
smile.gif
Talking about snakes on a plane has become liek the stupid Chuck Norris thing. Personally, I'm so happy SLJ did this movie. Now he can finally shut the **** up. He no longer has any credibility as an actor or a person.
What the hell? Since when did Samuel L. Jackson need or get any "credibility" from you?
I'm kind of tired of hearing people say "I'm so sick of Samuel L. Jackson, He has no crdibility as an actor". That's quite clearly thinly veiled envy. First of all, unless you actively seek out his movies, you never ever have to see them. So obviously in the first place, you're a ******* loser. Secondly, He is a professional actor, has to pay bills and feed his family, and doesn't give a crap what kind of movies YOU want to see, he's making them for regular people WITHOUT sticks up their hindquarters. He lives a life most would dream of. He's really rich, well respected, and has fun at work. Do I think he is the absolute pinnacle of acting? Definately not, but I think this little emo/hipster thing of hating Samuel L. Jackson is just sad and depraved.
smile.gif
\t
I totally agree with you that people should evaluate a movie for what it is, but I've hated Samuel L Jackson for many years, and for me at least, this is the final nail in the coffin.
Most movies I don't "evaluate" at all. Its either good or bad. Dissecting movies is too clinical and you end up nitpicking and hating everything you see. Am I entertained? If yes, movie = good. If no, movie = bad. I'm fully capable of telling you what a trainwreck of a movie Snakes On A Plane is, but if you go into the movie expecting anything MORE than a train wreck, then you should save yourself the eight bucks and hit yourself in the thumb with a 21 oz hammer for an hour and a half instead. You will have a better time. You go to this movie to become involved in the hokey, cheezy, roger corman-esque feeling of it, and to See Sam Jackson kick some snake ass. (disregard the fact that snakes have no asses) Can all you elitist movie bastards just lighen up and enjoy yourselves once in a while? Are you incapable of having fun? If you hate SLJ so damn much, just ignore him like you do Paris Hilton!
Glad you liked it.
I'm just glad I was able to re-use your rant about Paris Hilton from the other thread. Its a doozy!

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
You must tell me what happened at the end of the credits.
I have no idea, it's not in cinemas here until the 24th.

I'm just thinking that there must be something.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that the last movie I've seen Samuel L Jackson in was The Red Violin.

I'm guessing that Snakes on a Plane will be a slightly different experience.

It sounds like fun to me (but I actually enjoyed Nacho Libre, so I have low standards) but I will likely wait for the DVD and get it through netflix.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
I think that the last movie I've seen Samuel L Jackson in was The Red Violin.

I'm guessing that Snakes on a Plane will be a slightly different experience.

What are you talking about? I'm sure that the lowest common denominator can relate to English madrigals and auctions of high-end violins made by Italian masters...
devil.gif

Jon.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I liked Jackson's role in True Romance as a cunnilinguist gangster.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hehehe, glad you liked it Slim - for some reason I got the impression you were looking forward to it
biggrin.gif
. That being said, as I am often guilty of being a killjoy toffee-nosed malodorous stuck up film snob (
cheers.gif
) I may watch it when it is out on DVD (I have a soft spot for some intentionally bad films - Troma's & John Waters come to mind - and of course Das Killer Kondom!). P.s. I mean, how could it be worse than Air Force One (damn you Wolfgang! SELLOUT!) or Alien vs Predator? Or Last Samurai come to think of it?

2000dB

Reaction score
I saw the movie last night and I was suprised that I actually had fun. It has the most unrealistic plot, some pretty bad actors (SLJ included) and really bad product placement. The best part was the ambiance in the theater as you can see in this clip my friend took. It's not a very good movie but it was a very entertaining night.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
And of course... you probably wont, being the stuffy killjoy that you are.
smile.gif

What the hell? Since when did Samuel L. Jackson need or get any "credibility" from you?

smile.gif

\t

Most movies I don't "evaluate" at all. Its either good or bad. Dissecting movies is too clinical and you end up nitpicking and hating everything you see. Am I entertained? If yes, movie = good. If no, movie = bad.

I'm fully capable of telling you what a trainwreck of a movie Snakes On A Plane is, but if you go into the movie expecting anything MORE than a train wreck, then you should save yourself the eight bucks and hit yourself in the thumb with a 21 oz hammer for an hour and a half instead. You will have a better time. You go to this movie to become involved in the hokey, cheezy, roger corman-esque feeling of it, and to See Sam Jackson kick some snake ass. (disregard the fact that snakes have no asses) Can all you elitist movie bastards just lighen up and enjoy yourselves once in a while? Are you incapable of having fun? If you hate SLJ so damn much, just ignore him like you do Paris Hilton!

I'm just glad I was able to re-use your rant about Paris Hilton from the other thread. Its a doozy!

boooring.

First of all, I'm not a film snob. Second of all, I hate Samuel L. Jackson because he was a jack ass at a Pro Am tournament which my dad was at. Thirdly, what I said was mostly in jest, so why don't you shove a few thousand of those DVDs up your ass.

I ignore him by not watching any of his movies. The big difference between that bug eyed loud mouth and Paris Hilton is that he actually thinks he's the ****, and has been known to criticize other actors. Paris Hilton knows her role as a walking blow up doll, whereas this guy thinks he's a combination of Morgan Freeman and Denzel.

anyways, I don't give a ****. Just make sure one of your friends doesn't murder you in your sleep.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads