• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

snacking on fruits and veggies

djs488

Reaction score
I've always treated all kinds of fruits and veggies as the perfect snack: they're safe enough, even healthy, to eat as snacks. And by snacking, I don't just mean when your hungry, but even to pass the time. I know some fruits and veggies are more healthy than others, but are there some that are really not that great for you, especially if you're just eating them for the hell of it?

samblau

Reaction score
Nuts and avocado, while very good for you, contain fats and are very high calorie foods and should be used in moderation. Some fruits contain very high sugar concentrations which may affect some peopel. I find that a salad consiting of any of the following lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, carrots, peppers, celery, sprouts with a non-***** dressing, evena little olive oil and vinegar or a lemon based vinigriette works well, apples, plums, peaches etc. are all good, bananas are high calorie from what I have been told....granola and trail mix stuff is usually very high in calories, be careful.....a good snack IMO is yogurt with fruit, full of protein low calorie no carbs and where I work and live you can get fairly good indiv. cups for < $1.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I hate that nursery speak: veggies. Can't we just use the full 3 syllables?

I pronounce it with four and spell out all number less than 20.
bigstar[1].gif

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
I pronounce it with four and spell out all number less than 20.
bigstar[1].gif

crackup[1].gif
Can't we just use the full four syllables?! ....eh so back to the fruits and vegetables.. I eat grapefruit in the morning. It is a very healthy fruit. Some say blueberries are the healthiest fruit. Broccoli is more nutritious than cauliflower. I disfavor iceberg lettuce, cucumber, etc for the same reason. I can get more nutrients from other vegetables - Brussels sprouts, spinach, and peas for instance.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
crackup[1].gif

Can't we just use the full four syllables?!

....eh so back to the fruits and vegetables.. I eat grapefruit in the morning. It is a very healthy fruit. Some say blueberries are the healthiest fruit.

Broccoli is more nutritious than cauliflower. I disfavor iceberg lettuce, cucumber, etc for the same reason. I can get more nutrients from other vegetables - Brussels sprouts, spinach, and peas for instance.

Homer has a good point. I like cucumbers quite a bit, but as far as nutrition goes, they offer little help.

Grapefruit is good.... Also, try pomegranate. Lots of antioxidants, so it'll even help your wood.

Houndstooth

Reaction score
Almonds and walnuts. For a nice salad, drizzle some almond oil on it.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many fruits and veggies are Catabolic foods (use more calories to digest than they contain). For example, an apple requires 180 calories to digest, but only contains 80 calories, so your body must provide the rest.

HIGH GRADE CATABOLIC FOODS
Black/Blueberries
Limes
Pineapple
Cantaloupe
Grapefruit
Oranges
Strawberries
Lemons
Raspberries - fresh
Pears-Bartlett
Watermelon
Artichokes
Celery
Parsley leaves
Sweet Potato
Asparagus
Cucumbers
Peppers
Tomato
Broccoli
Eggplant
Radishes
Zucchini
Brussels Sprouts
Leeks - cooked
Spinach
Carrots
Lettuce

LOW GRADE CATABOLIC FOODS
Apples
Cherries
Honeydew melon
Peaches
Apricots
Grapes
Nectarines
Tangerines
Beans-green
Cauliflower
Endive
Peas
Beans-string
Chives - fresh
Garlic
Pumpkin
Beets
Corn
Onions
Red Cabbage
Cabbage
Dill Pickles
Parsnips
Turnips

samblau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
Many fruits and veggies are Catabolic foods (use more calories to digest than they contain). For example, an apple requires 180 calories to digest, but only contains 80 calories, so your body must provide the rest.

HIGH GRADE CATABOLIC FOODS
Black/Blueberries
Limes
Pineapple
Cantaloupe
Grapefruit
Oranges
Strawberries
Lemons
Raspberries - fresh
Pears-Bartlett
Watermelon
Artichokes
Celery
Parsley leaves
Sweet Potato
Asparagus
Cucumbers
Peppers
Tomato
Broccoli
Eggplant
Radishes
Zucchini
Brussels Sprouts
Leeks - cooked
Spinach
Carrots
Lettuce

LOW GRADE CATABOLIC FOODS
Apples
Cherries
Honeydew melon
Peaches
Apricots
Grapes
Nectarines
Tangerines
Beans-green
Cauliflower
Endive
Peas
Beans-string
Chives - fresh
Garlic
Pumpkin
Beets
Corn
Onions
Red Cabbage
Cabbage
Dill Pickles
Parsnips
Turnips

Wait a sec...I have heard about these foods but think I might be missing the point. Do you mean to tell me that if one were to eat only the aofrementioned items that they would be at a net calorie loss and subsequently become malnourished...or worse? If I am to have a protein main course i.e. chicken or beef are you saying that eating these foods together would be to my benefit caloris wise rather than eating just the protein a la atkins?

deputamadre

Reaction score
I eat whatever random fruits are sold in the market here. Dragonfruit, pomegranate, pomelos, lychees...

Has anyone tried durian? It's the worst smelling fruit.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "catabolic" food list is misleading. I don't know whether or not it takes 180 calories to digest an apple, but I'll assume the number is accurate. What you have to remember is that this is the number of calories that you burn while the apple is digesting. The majority of those calories would be burned during that time whether or not you ate the apple, just because you're alive and awake. There is no such thing as a "negative calorie" food. Long story short, fruits and vegetables are nutrient-dense and low in calories, so they're good for you and you can eat a lot of them without causing an energy surplus. Eat up!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads