• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snack-Size Deep Fryer

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just don't use those illegal transfats, OK?

Snack-Size Deep Fryer

The Snack-Size Deep Fryer ($40) from HSN Improvements makes a nice accompaniment to that dorm-size frig stocked with beer you have in your man room. The snack-size portions of French fries and doughnuts which can be produced from the 1-1/4 lb. capacity of this fryer will make you forget all about McDonalds. And you can even watch your fried Twinkie goodness frying away through the lid with viewing window. Triple bypass not included.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What exactly is a 'dorm size frig'? Or did they mean fridge...

Actually, I could really dig having one of these. Would make katsu, tempura, fried wontons, small portions of fried chicken, etc. really easy. Mmmm, katsu.

Edit: not pot stickers, fried wontons.

Kevin

Reaction score
I have a small fryer and would totally endorse one for every male.

Freedom fries, pizza rolls, chicken fingers and the like come out worlds better after a dunk in the oil than from the oven, and it's perfect for a 2 a.m. grease fix.

It's a PITA to clean, but something that size can't hold more than a quart of oil.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't anyone fry in a pot anymore? Or is it avoided for fire risks? I always fry in a dutch oven...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Doesn't anyone fry in a pot anymore? Or is it avoided for fire risks? I always fry in a dutch oven...
It just seems like too much of a hassle to me. You have to worry about splattering, find a way to strain the stuff, figure out how to measure the temperature of the oil... I have fried in a pot or deep pan a few times, and I took a splatter shield and poked a hole through it through which I could stick a thermometer to get the oil right. But it ends up being too much work to bother with.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman

I hate deep frying in a pot. The two times I tried it I almost set off the fire extinguisher in my building.

This looks promising, I'm entertaining the idea of something slightly larger. I have a friend with one and she highly endorses it.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Target to buy a thermometer for more accurate stovetop frying, but the deep fryer was only a few bucks more, so I bought the fryer (something like this, but a little cheaper). I use it for tempura, battered cod, chicken wings, etc.; roomate puts freezer fries in there a lot.

I would not buy a tiny fryer like the one the OP linked; looks like you'd have to do one wing at a time. Frying in small batches is best!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who own one, how often do you change the oil? Do you use one type to fry meats, while another to fry other things? When do you clean out the oil, do you just dump it into the sink and run some water through?

Sabrosa

Reaction score
You should never dump oil (or any other substance containing a large percentage of fat) directly down the drain, as it can back up and clog pipes over time. It is a much better idea to pour the used oil into a ziploc bag, or any other type of disposable container, and then throw it away in the trash. This can also be done for unused fat/juice left over when pan roasting, etc. Or, if you are feeling really enterprising (and eat a ton of fried food), you could convert your car to run off of used fry oil: http://www.greasecar.com/

StevenRocks

Reaction score
I fry at home in a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven with a thermometer. It generally works well. Deep fryers are more efficient, but the pot is easier for me to use.

Generally, you should strain your frying oil after each use. I use a cheap stariner and a paper towel and dump the oil in over a mixing bowl, letting the oil drain into the bowl. Throw away the nasty bits that are in the towel after the oil drains, but never dump the old oil down the drain, for reasons stated above. If your oil turns a deep brown color after frying, it's dead and you should throw it out.

Fish is the only meat that's really tricky to use the oil over and over. Generally, most fish will leave its distinctive mark and ruin the taste of whatever else you're cooking with that oil. strangely, shrimp don't seem to affect oil as much as fish does.

Kevin

Reaction score
I keep a five-pound coffee can in the freezer and just dump the whole lot in there when I need to clean. It keeps the oil as a solid chunk so I can just toss it in the trash without worrying about leakage.

Oil is cheap enough that I don't bother straining and reusing it. A few times per year I'll blot out the fryer with paper towels and scrub out the buildup with a metal scouring pad.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kevin
I keep a five-pound coffee can in the freezer and just dump the whole lot in there when I need to clean. It keeps the oil as a solid chunk so I can just toss it in the trash without worrying about leakage.

Good idea.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StevenRocks
I fry at home in a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven with a thermometer. It generally works well. Deep fryers are more efficient, but the pot is easier for me to use.

Generally, you should strain your frying oil after each use. I use a cheap stariner and a paper towel and dump the oil in over a mixing bowl, letting the oil drain into the bowl. Throw away the nasty bits that are in the towel after the oil drains, but never dump the old oil down the drain, for reasons stated above. If your oil turns a deep brown color after frying, it's dead and you should throw it out.

Fish is the only meat that's really tricky to use the oil over and over. Generally, most fish will leave its distinctive mark and ruin the taste of whatever else you're cooking with that oil. strangely, shrimp don't seem to affect oil as much as fish does.

Yes. This is precisely what I do. The dutch oven is dedicated for it. I find the flame gives far more control over the temp, and much more rapid response with the temps. Never set off the alarms (though I do when I flambe).

+1 on fish-fouling. I once did apple fritters after forgetting about the fish and chips I had done before. Not good.

Regards,
Huntsman

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snack size ? What you need is a BIG deep fryer, the kind the US Army use. You can roast a buffalo in that in 40 seconds.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Homme
Snack size ? What you need is a BIG deep fryer, the kind the US Army use. You can roast a buffalo in that in 40 seconds.

They're feeding soldiers buffalo? Man, I want some roated buffalo. \t
cheers.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads