Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Smoking

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by GreyFlannelMan, Jul 25, 2006.

1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

GFM,

if you are out drinking gin and tonic 3-4 nights a week, a few cigs might be the least of your problems [​IMG]

I'm no prude but maybe if you cut your drinking down to weekends/1-2 nights a week you'll find yourself also smoking a lot less. I've never really smoked cigs, except for a short stint in high school but I do like to smoke cigars when I drink but that does not happen often as there is no smoking indoors in the city and standing outside of a restaurant/bar for an hour or two while I smoke a cigar doesn't make any sense.

2. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

In June 2005, after 15 years of a pack-a-day habit, I quit smoking. I used the patch, and for a year, I didn't really crave a cigarette. I loved smoking, at least a handful of the cigarettes I had each day. The rest were just a habit.

This past weekend, whilst out drinking, I had a cigarette. And then another. And one more after that. Then I didn't really think about. Tonight, I went out drinking with a friend, and smoked two.

Am I stupid to think that I can just smoke when drinking? I certainly don't want to develop the full blown habit again. (Perhaps I am fooling myslef, since I tend to drink three or four nights a week). But I really do enjoy that evil weed with my beer/gin tonic/ wine.

What are others experiences with this?

I think Malcolm Gladwell in The Tipping Point suggested the tipping point for the 'all' or 'nothing' commitment threshold was 5 or 6 a day.

3. atalante

atalante Member

if you went out less often, you could pull it off (i did, for a while) but it's hard. eventually you want more.

if you didn't it wouldn't be vice, now would it?

4. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

if you are out drinking gin and tonic 3-4 nights a week, a few cigs might be the least of your problems [​IMG]

Good point. [​IMG] Some nights, I'll just have one GT with friends, so I would hate to leave the impression that I am getting hammered every time I go out.

And thank goodness one can't smoke in the the bars and restaurants anymore. I was initially opposed to that Bloomberg law, given my general dislike of government interference in daily life, but it does make it easier to not smoke, and for a much more pleasant experience overall.

Thanks all for your comments.

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Honestly, what is there to like about smoking? I smoked half a pack a day for a summer when I was thirteen (it was something to do) and quit when I left my cousins cottage. I just can't understand people that say they enjoy smoking. It gives you cancer and makes you smell like shit all the time. In fact, when I'm around a smoker, I think to myself "I hope you die of cancer soon so that I don't have to smell you or your stinky fucking cigarettes anymore." Some perspective from a non-smoker [​IMG]

I'm so happy they've finally banned it from restaurants and clubs in Quebec. I've had to go vomit in the bathroom because there was so much smoke and my body just couldn't handle it.

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

read my post again...

...pack a day plus.

Aha, but have you ever tried to quit?

7. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

I was a pack-a-day smoker for about 7 years before I quit about three years ago. I quit cold turkey (hard as hell). Recently, I've been willing to smoke when I get drunk (not when I just have alcohol, but when I'm getting well and truly smashed). This has been fine for the last few months, and hasn't led to a relapse, but that's because I actually get smashed about once a month at most. If it was once a week or so, I think it would be all downhill. Regardless, I'm keeping VERY close tabs on myself. If I ever start to crave a cigarette when I'm not drinking, I'm cutting myself off again completely. It's a very slippery slope.

My advice: buy a pack on the night you go out, directly before you go out, so that you're not That Guy who's bumming cigarettes all night. But at the end of the night, no matter how many cigarettes are left in that pack, give the pack away. Either to a friend who smokes, to the random stranger at the bar with whom you were good-naturedly arguing/trading tall tales/commiserating about troubles with women/etc, or in addition to the tip if the bartender looks to be the smoking type, or even just to a pretty girl (without a boyfriend) in the corner. But whatever you do, do not go home with that pack of cigarettes. If you do, it's over.

8. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Honestly, what is there to like about smoking? I smoked half a pack a day for a summer when I was thirteen (it was something to do) and quit when I left my cousins cottage. I just can't understand people that say they enjoy smoking. It gives you cancer and makes you smell like shit all the time. In fact, when I'm around a smoker, I think to myself "I hope you die of cancer soon so that I don't have to smell you or your stinky fucking cigarettes anymore." Some perspective from a non-smoker [​IMG]

I'm so happy they've finally banned it from restaurants and clubs in Quebec. I've had to go vomit in the bathroom because there was so much smoke and my body just couldn't handle it.

It gives you a buzz. It gives you something to do at a party rather than standing around awkwardly. When you can't satisfy the large desires in your life, you can always satisfy that little need for nicotine, and satisfaction of any kind is a good feeling. Plus, I don't mind the smell. I actually enjoy it. It's funny, I have a friend who doesn't smoke (yet), but his parents do, so whenever he smells smoke it's comforting and reminds him of home.

I should mention that I don't smoke cigarettes (again, yet), simply because I know I would love them. However, I have been cold-turkey on dip for two months, so I can sort of relate.

To me, what makes it hard, after the physical addiction has past, is the way that it sneaks up on you. You just find yourself thinking, hey, you know what would be nice right now? A can/pack. The key is not to kid yourself into thinking that just one doesn't matter.

9. tbabes

tbabes Senior member

Am I stupid to think that I can just smoke when drinking?

Is it stupid to think that a heroin addict can just shoot up when drinking? Or that an alcoholic can just drink when smoking?

You are a nicotine addict, and your situation is no different that the two scenarios that I posed above. I speak from first-hand knowledge (have been nic-free for 5 months) but I have had many caves due to the "just one" lie. Today it's "just one" while drinking etc. and a month from now you'll be back to you pack a day habit. My advice would be to stop now before the nic-bitch gets her claws back in you.

10. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Aha, but have you ever tried to quit?

I try not to quit.

11. ccffm1

ccffm1 Senior member

Sorry to go off topic but how do you pronounce Gauloise? I forget.

Pretty hard task for a German to describe in American phonetics how a French word should be pronounced, but I guess it would have to be like "go - lo - waz".

12. ccffm1

ccffm1 Senior member

This comes from someone who smokes a pack plus a day, ...

Oh dear. I´m sorry TS. That´s the result of superficial reading. I probably got too distracted by lighting up. [​IMG]

13. romafan

romafan Senior member

Is it stupid to think that a heroin addict can just shoot up when drinking? Or that an alcoholic can just drink when smoking?

You are a nicotine addict, and your situation is no different that the two scenarios that I posed above. I speak from first-hand knowledge (have been nic-free for 5 months) but I have had many caves due to the "just one" lie. Today it's "just one" while drinking etc. and a month from now you'll be back to you pack a day habit. My advice would be to stop now before the nic-bitch gets her claws back in you.

I have no idea if this is true, but I've read/heard that breaking a nicotine addiction is harder to than kicking heroin. Given what I know about heroin withdrawal (and being an ex-smoker), I would think that this is unlikely. But apparently the 'mental' component of the nic addiction is tougher to beat than the physical craving for smack...[​IMG]

14. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Supposedly there is a Japanese "energy beverage" that contains Caffeine, Nicotene, and Alcohol.

Supposedly engineered to help the Japanese workers keep longer hours.

It may be an urban legend, but I'm convinced that if there is such a thing, it exists in Japan.

15. Oddly Familiar

Oddly Familiar Senior member

"Only quitters quit."

I wish I was a quitter. When I first started smoking, about a year ago, I didn;t see the addictiveness of it. But, now, a year later I wish I had quit back then. Even though I don't have any health problems(yet) I still wish I had quit. I've gone from a pack every week or so to a pack a day almost. And every time I've quit, whether it be for two days or two weeks, I always seem to smoke more when I start again. The only reason I start again is because of those social occasions. A cigarette with beer is living the american dream I suppose. But either way, I wish I kicked the habit when I first started. Just tonight I stumbled upon this
    You don't have to read that. It's long and boring. And I don't beleive a lot of it btu it could be true you know.

The only times I really crave a cigarette is when I know I have a few in my car or room but I can't smoke them. If I'm broke or don't have any for some reason I can go without. It's weird.

Go with Camel Turkish Golds. I mean don't smoke.