• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking Jacket in lieu of a Tux Jacket?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've noticed over the past few months that more and more people (many that I consider to be typically well-dressed) are opting for a velvet DB smoking jacket instead of a tux jacket.

Smoking_jacket.jpg

Is this a traditional substitution, or are they just being uber-trendy? FWIW, I don't think it looks bad, as long as its in the DB form and is black or midnight blue.

ET

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Is this a traditional substitution

No of course not-especially that of velvet in public

or are they just being uber-trendy?
Not sure about "uber" but trendy yes. Very
smile.gif

FWIW, I don't think it looks bad
Neither do I but I would never wear it in place of proper black tie. However, these days you can see and do a lot worse than substituting a nice smoking jacket.

as long as its in the DB form and is black or midnight blue

Traditionally speaking (and I am being rather strict here) you should not wear black for smoking jacket as historically that was one of the few places men were allowed to display color correctly. But then again you wouldn't be caught dead with a velvet jacket at a black tie event outside of your home or club even up to 60s I guess.

This version that you posted above generally speaking is a true smoking jacket with frog closure and cuffs. If one must wear it in public you should opt for a buttoned version with silk facings for black tie and self faced for even more casual look.

I wrote about this in detail a few years ago but that may have been lost in great styleforum crash of 4-5 years ago. Sator wrote about its correctness and options in much greater detail. If you really want to know you should look up his post as it is a very confusing topic to discuss.

my two cents

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Good post ^

Notice that smoking jacket is paired with a gingham shirt and a cravat. It's really not black tie, it's a less formal version for when people had black tie style dinner parties in their home so dressing it down was more acceptable, along with velvet slippers. I doubt fellas who wore this rig in the old days did so outside of the house, I bet they still had formal black or white tie rigs for dinners and parties at a venue.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I suggest a midnight velvet SB peak or shawl collar lapel jacket matched with midnight mohair/barathea trousers as an acceptable tuxedo/black tie alternative You need some guts to wear a smoking jacket at an event that you know others will wear (rented) tuxedos. But this should be no problem for a man who made an EG TD Shannon boot in tweed
worship2.gif
worship2.gif
If you get the Velvet jacket...may I suggest you pair it with velvet slippers
inlove.gif
http://www.broadlandslippers.co.uk/e...-slippers.html An elegant Shawl collared SB jacket: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only wear my smoking jacket at home, in front of the fire with a nice sherry or cognac in my hands
wink.gif

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but does anyone wear this IRL on any occasion. I thought that these outfit are now a relics of the past.

If anyone has any pics of smoking jackets, cravats etc in IRL, please post...

Smoking_jacket.jpg

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks tuttee.

AJ: I've seen a few people on the NY black-tie circuit wear a smoking jacket to parties / events. Many more wear the SB version.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought these things were from the time a man would put on a DJ to dine in his own house (more like manor or mansion), and after dinner, a game of billiards would be played or cigars would be smoked in the library or something of that sort.

The kind of life I saw recently in the movie 'Into the Storm' or what RL shows in its RLPL ads

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
I thought these things were from the time a man would put on a DJ to dine in his own house (more like manor or mansion), and after dinner, a game of billiards would be played or cigars would be smoked in the library or something of that sort.

The kind of life I saw recently in the movie 'Into the Storm' or what RL shows in its RLPL ads

Yup - think you're right from a more traditional perspective. But these days people seem to be using them at black tie events as well. A member just pm'ed me saying that Poole brings a sample to stateside visits as an alternative to the dinner jacket. So its not just us Americans doing it.

loiclac

Reaction score
it can be worn in club night (as in secret society) a cross with black tie and boys room event.

what you are looking for (unless you are member of a club) is something like 'BNWT Emanuel Ungaro Italian Velvet DJ Dinner Suit 40R ' on ebay item number 400161766382 at the moment.

loiclac

Reaction score
from http://shop.edeandravenscroft.co.uk/pages/formal-dress

'Smoking jackets

Velvet smoking jackets are traditionally worn with evening trousers or tartan trews, evening shirt and a bow tie or cravat. They are perfect to wear at home or when sharing a mellow whisky with friends and colleagues at a gentleman's club...

'

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads